Adding fluid trim tab pump 228 Seafarer 2003

mvz123a

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought my 2003 seafarer last August and am slowly working through the various things as they come up. The most recent was a failed trim tab rocker switch. Just got that today and was an easy replacement so no worries but in troubleshooting I noticed the hydraulic fluid was low. Funny, but adding fluid is turning out to be a bigger hassle. On this model the pump is located in the starboard berth storage compartment by some of the head plumbing. One of those large hoses is directly above the pump. It seems the only way to get the lid off to add fluid is to actually remove the mounting screws for the the pump itself. Has anyone else had this experience, if so, how do you deal with this? Am I missing something here?

Thank You!

p.s. Love the boat but am a bit disappointed how low the stern sits in the water. It has a 4S 225 and as many others have experienced, the scuppers are actually below water and when getting going water comes very close if not above the motor cowl seal even with only about 20% fuel and nothing else to speak of.

Sully4755

Reaction score
I have a 1989 228G seafarer and my pump is mounted in the same place. The whole unit lifts up off the bracket. No screws to remove.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
if this is a bennet system pump, it should just slide right up out of the bracket. Best way to fill them up is to disconnect the line and electrical connector and pull the pump straight up and out. probably been in there a while and sounds like it may be leaking. A hyd systems should never loose fluid so keep an eye on it after you fill it up.

Have you had the transom checked for water?

mvz123a

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
thanks for the replies. I'll give it another shot and if I still have problems will take a picture and post it.

sfc2113 - I did not have the transom checked for water but will probably do that next time it is pulled out for maintenance. I can say it sat low in the water like this from the first day I put it in and the previous owner stored it on a trailer and didn't even use it for about 10 months.

thanks again

GulfSea

Reaction score
mvz123a said:
Hi Guys,
thanks for the replies. I'll give it another shot and if I still have problems will take a picture and post it.

sfc2113 - I did not have the transom checked for water but will probably do that next time it is pulled out for maintenance. I can say it sat low in the water like this from the first day I put it in and the previous owner stored it on a trailer and didn't even use it for about 10 months.

thanks again

Mine is newer with an F250 but doesn't do the sitting low deal. Have you checked for water in the bracket? Something doesn't sound right there.

Tabman

Reaction score
mvz123a said:
Hi Guys,

I bought my 2003 seafarer last August and am slowly working through the various things as they come up. The most recent was a failed trim tab rocker switch. Just got that today and was an easy replacement so no worries but in troubleshooting I noticed the hydraulic fluid was low. Funny, but adding fluid is turning out to be a bigger hassle. On this model the pump is located in the starboard berth storage compartment by some of the head plumbing. One of those large hoses is directly above the pump. It seems the only way to get the lid off to add fluid is to actually remove the mounting screws for the the pump itself. Has anyone else had this experience, if so, how do you deal with this? Am I missing something here?

Thank You!

p.s. Love the boat but am a bit disappointed how low the stern sits in the water. It has a 4S 225 and as many others have experienced, the scuppers are actually below water and when getting going water comes very close if not above the motor cowl seal even with only about 20% fuel and nothing else to speak of.

mvz123a,

sfc2113 is correct, the pump sits in a U bracket and if you push it up from the bottom you can remove it from the bulkhead to remove the lexan cover from it. In most cases you don't have to undo the lines or wire harness to remove the pump.

sys1.jpg

Use any type of Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Don't worry about the exact brand or type - it will all work, and can even be mixed. To add fluid, remove the Lexan cover on the HPU, locate the "filler stack" in the left front corner of the reservoir. There is a round plug sealing the filler stack. Remove the plug and add fluid to the full line on the reservoir. Note: Add fluid only with the trim tabs fully retracted (up). If your reservoir does not have a full line, add fluid so the fluid level is about 1 inch below the top of the reservoir with the trim tabs fully retracted (up).

Using a "filler spout" on a quart bottle of ATF makes it easy to fill (if any of you guys wants a filler spout send me your name and address in a private message and I will be happy to mail you one at no charge) or use a small funnel.

HPU_ATF_Filling_big.jpg

A good way to test the system for leaks is to run both Trim Tabs all the way down and leave them their overnight. They should stay down. If they retract on their own then check for leaks.

I hope this is helpful,
Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

mvz123a

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the help. The pump indeed has the bracket. This makes it much easier than removing some plumbing and standing on my head to remove the lid in place and refill. Tabman, in troubleshooting the bad switch and then this small fluid filling issue I have to say I am extremely impressed by Bennet's customer service - great company and product.