Adding Genset to Marlin

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
So, looking to move from my 272 to a Marlin. Can't afford a newer model so looking at anything from 2004 to 2012. Some have gensets others don't. Some had them and then removed but wiring and plumbing remain. As this will be used as a charter boat, I really want an operable genset. How hard is it to add a genset to a Marlin that was not originally equipped with one? How are is it to change from a Kohler gas to a Panda diesel? Thanks,

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Marlin equipped with the standard Koehler 5e gas gender. Lots of problems! I want a diesel genset but will need a separate fuel tank and someone to rewire. It sounds cost prohibitive. I wish you would get some good feedback as it would help me too.

gradyguy04

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
removing mine now, new replacement $ 11K, used rebuilt with zero hours $ 6500...$ 3K to repair mine and no guarantees...gonna probably just go with a honda portable...only use the generator 4-5 times a year...have a 300 marlin with kohler 5e genes

gjhdvm

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a FP 4200 on my 2006 Marlin. Worked great for 3 years but now nothing but trouble. After having to adjust the valve lash after every use, I installed a new cylinder head from Faryman and it worked great for about 30 hours. Won't start again now. Will trouble shoot at next visit but if not something I expect to wear out I am going with a Honda portable as well and mounting it on the transom. After seeing the CO concerns, I will also install an exhaust extension to dump it over the starboard side. Has anyone done this? Seems relatively safe coupled with 1-2 CO detectors in the cabin.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I bought my 330 express from a guy that put a new Kohler EKD5 in around Sept 2016. Its constantly giving me issues. It’s fuel injected so it vapor locks constantly. I had the original one of these years ago in my Bertram. There were no electronics and it was carbureted. I never had an issue for years. This thing is a hunk of junk. I’ll eventually go to a diesel. There are other options other the FP. Westerbeke has a small diesel now. Phazor does too. I’m putting in a big squirrel cage blower in to get more cool fresh air to try to stop the vapor locking.