Adding oil to Trim Tabs

vangrady

Reaction score
I own a 1990 Marlin 28. Could anyone tell me how to top up the trim tab pumpset with fluid?
Thank you.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Van: I can tell you how mine works and yours is likely similar. The pump and reservoir are located in an underberth storage area just forward of the cabin bulkhead, starboard side. There is a small filler cap on top of the pump housing. As I recall, I had to remove the smoke-colored plastic housing to accesss the filler cap. I also had to use a very small diameter funnel to avoid spillage. Also, bring a flashlight to read the 'fill to here line' on the reservoir. Boat should be level in the water when you check the fluid level.

Mine is easy. Hope yours is too.

Rob

catch22

Reaction score
There are 2 ways to top off the fluid;

Remove the plastic cover on the pump, (single screw in the center). Remove the rubber plug and add fluid slowly with a very small funnel.

You can also disconnect the tubing on one of the actuators. Place the tubing in a container of fluid and retract your tabs. This will draw the fluid into the pump reservoir.

For Sport tabs, you would need to disconnect the tubing at the pump and use a seperate piece of tubing. The connections at the actuators are sealed in the transom.

Here's a link for faq's, at Bennett, see # 7;
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/faq1.htm

vangrady

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I forgot to ask about topping up the steering fluid in my Seastar helm pump. How far should the oil level be from the top of the pump housing? I assume that I should not overfill to allow for expansion.

Thanks again for your advice.

Twisted28

Reaction score
vangrady said:
I own a 1990 Marlin 28. Could anyone tell me how to top up the trim tab pumpset with fluid?
Thank you.

I have a 28 Marlin 1991 and the Trim tab reservoir is not located at the bulk head, it is located under the small round access hole in the motor bracket behind the live well. This sits in the center of a larger sealed rectangular panel which can be removed if you can not get to fill up the fluid through the smaller access. Just remember to silicone seal the rectangular panel if you take it off.

Its not that hard to reach and I would suggest having someone open the black door just below the front of the livewell and shine a lich on the area for you while you do this.
makes it allot easier.

Twisted28

Reaction score
vangrady said:
Thank you.

Curious about your signature - 250 yami oil burners.... I have rebuilt yami's 250's and they do burn oil / smoke excessively. I have a mechanic comming to look at this who thinks there may be something he can do to remedy this.

Are you in the same boat so to speak?