Adding Oil

JGH

Reaction score
After 3 weeks, I absolutely love my new (to me) 257 center console, model year 2004. It has a 2-stroke engine, and the oil tank is filled through an opening in the rear starboard corner of the hull. It fills v-e-r-y slowly, apparently because there is no vent. If others have this problem (maybe it's not confined to the 257), I'd appreciate hearing how you handle it. Thank you.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
OIL

my buddy's got a 268 w/ same oil set-up. It is s-l-o-w. I believe he got one of the funnels w/ the vent on the side to help. It is not the best design Grady ever came up with.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The hose running down to the tank is 1 1/2 inch diameter, it vents itself since the diameter is so big. If the funnel you use has a 3/4 inch bore, there should be nothing slow about it.

Just like changing oil in your car with the same funnel, should go in as fast.

At what angle does the hose aprroach the tank? I presume it's mostly vertical.

When the cap is closed, the gunnel fitting down tube has a vent - it's just a very small hole that allows makeup air to enter the tank as the oil level drops. It's close to the top so that the hose will miss it.

The above applies to teh Yamas, my old Johnnies had a vented cap instead of a hole, but same 1 1/2 inch hose.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
JGH said:
After 3 weeks, I absolutely love my new (to me) 257 center console, model year 2004. It has a 2-stroke engine, and the oil tank is filled through an opening in the rear starboard corner of the hull. It fills v-e-r-y slowly, apparently because there is no vent. If others have this problem (maybe it's not confined to the 257), I'd appreciate hearing how you handle it. Thank you.

watch out for those
they like to take in water

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Now that you mention it, I got rid of my remotes.
I found the long 1- 1/2 inch hoses are great condensate generators, and the fitting at the tank is plastic with the cheap untrapped 10 cent gasket design, too risky. My Johnnies had a better quality fitting.

I pulled the hose off the tank one day, and noticed drops of water coming out of the hose, I bent the hose around to look up it and saw the wall lined with mositure.
The O ring at the gunnel was perfect and tight, and just 2 years old. Same for both oil fills.

The hoses came off same day. I left the fill fittings for now, just added some plugged hose stubs so no one tries to pour anything in there, now into the bilge.

JGH

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
JGH said:

watch out for those

Huh...what do you mean?

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
JGH said:
JUST-IN-TIME said:
JGH said:

watch out for those

Huh...what do you mean?

i have seen them not seal and water comes in
from rain to ocean spray
just replace the o-ring evry year