adding rod holders to T-top

gradyrod

Reaction score
i'm trying to add extra rod storage on the large diameter aft bar of the T-top. I don't want the expense of having to weld them on. Any ideas on how to add rod holders to the t-top without welding? any specific brands that come with the ability to clamp over the 2" diameter tubing? I was thinking of maybe tapping some holes and having some aluminum plates welded to the standard rod holders (say Perko), and being able to screw the aluminum plates to the tubing with bolts???

All suggestions welcome. basically want to add rod storage without large expense!!

Thanks.

Rod
Fisherman 204
Long Island, NY

B-Faithful

Reaction score
Actually having them welded on is not much more than a decent set of clamp ons. I am looking at the same thing right now and was told it is $100ea for welded on ones and it is $79 for good clamp on ones at Boaters World. The clamp on ones from my experience need to be tightened on occassion and can rotate if you put a lot of pressure on them (ie hooking up on a fish with one in the holder - so be careful of the angles you pull baits from)

gw204

Reaction score
Get them welded! IMHO, the clamp-on ones are fine for use on vertical pipes, but not horizontal. The nature of the forces applied to the clamp when you put a rod in the holder makes them more susceptible to twisting.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You cannot just weld them, the heat will melt the coating on the wires within the piping, to do any welding you would need to remove all wiring unless you care to rewire your pipework. Welding is the best solution and best way, you could disconnect the wiring and pull it out yourself, not a huge job, just pull a tag line through with a string so you can repull them through. Screwing them in place would not be my top choice either.

I agree the clamp on's on sale are the best deal out there. There should be a size to fit your needs, lee makes a 1 7/8" and a 2 3/8" If your unsure what size you need lee has a cut out template to measure around the pipe to determine which you need.

http://www.leetackle.com/measurment.pdf

The clamp ons are the way to go. I use mine for trolling off of and have had big tuna hit hard and they are solid like a rock.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I added Lee clamp ons and they work great!

I only have the clamp ons in the vertical pipe runs - and they may be an issue with heavier rods in the horizontal position!

Tim