Adding rod holders

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are no center rod holders on the boat, except for the hardtop mounted rod holders. I am considering adding a few rod holders to the transom of the boat, either a cluster or three or four facing aft or perhaps three or four indvual surface mount. As far as I know there is no where to mount flush mount rod holders near the center of the boat as the fishbox and 'garbage box' take up the majorty of the transom area. I believe in keeping things as original as possibe, but when we troll I really could use a few more rod holders for the center rigger. I believe there is enough clearance that the rod holders will not interfere with the engines when they are tilted up. I don't think a leaning post is my best choice at this point. I also like the idea of being to store a few rods in the center when we get a larger fish and need to clear the rods. While I can reach the hardtop rod holders, some of the crew has a tough time. What do you guys think?

On a similiar note, has anyone added a third gunwale mounted rod holder on the port and starboard sides? If so, where did you mount them? I wish the forward rod holders were about a foot closer to the bow, but I can't see myself glassing over the holes to add another rod holder on each side and have the three of them centered.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gunwale moutn holders are not a problem. As for trolling your center rigger line off the transom, not ideal. It will be in the way when fighting fish off other positions if you do not hook up on it, for a center rigger off the hardtop is the best location. Even off the side legs are better since the line remains over your head and out of the way. It would be nice to have some rod holders back there, but for trolling you want a clean transom with no obstacles, putting a rod back there will mean lost fish. Look at big sportfishermen, most have no holders there and one's that do only use them to chunk from. I'd add 2 in the gunwale, not hard to do, but you need to know the right hole pattern and angle to add. Typically they are the same angle as the aft holders. We troll 8 rods off my boat, flatlines are aft rod holders, fwd holders are short riggers, bottom tower leg is far rigger, and down the middle for center rigger short and long are put in upper hardtop rod holders. This keeps the cockpit from being cluttered and allows us to easily manage lines which can go over under much easier, and a clutter free transom allows anglers to work fish, not rods. Having 2 more gunwale holders would just move the rods back a position, but still keep it uncluttered. Rocket launchers are nice but unless your on a 30ft boat or bigger it east up valuable space, the nice thing about launchers is that you can manuveur behind them and have an unclttered transom to fish from.

I'd add a pair of holders in the gunwale and just use the middle hardtop leg holders so they can be reached by all but are high enough to be out of your way. If you do not have rod holders on your hardtop legs get some from lee, don;t skimp on cheap one's. Weve had fish hit at 30lbs of drag in these holders without them budging at all, but we do attach safety lines to them just in case, or incase a crew member drops it from high up.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tom,
So your saying not to worry about the fact that the gunwale mounted rod holders are only about three or four feet apart (I have not been on the boat in weeks, so I may be off). Just add the center rod holder spaced equally from the forward and aft rod holder? I think I get the idea of the angle, same as aft rod holder.

I do have the two factory welded rod holders per hardtop leg. We use them always when trolling. i prefer to troll nine rods when conditions permit but I currently only have eight rod holders available (besides the ones connected to the top of the hardtop about seven feet above the deck).

I have seen a few boats with the transom mounted rod holders, just not sure they will be at all helpful when trolling or chunking. You got me thinking they may just get in the way...

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was looking into adding transom rod holders as well when I first purchased my boat, but the fold down well for me produces more issues for that, but then I got to thinking about all the 30-60ft boats I've fished, we fished 6-8 rods off gunwales and the rest off tower legs of flybridges. It got me to thinking why. Having an unclutter transom is the best advantage you have, especially with a smaller crew. When you have 6 anglers and a mate and captain, playing over under is easier to do. As a boat gets narrower, you lose workable space, and placing anything off the transom will hurt you. I agree 100% that the top hardtop holders are out of reach for trolling offshore, I opted against adding them just for this reason, they stuck into the cockpit and would not be reachable by most to safely remove a rod when hooked up and pulling drag.

It is a shame where Grady locates rod holders, I wish they were spread more apart, for 2 on each side they are located well, but not if an owner ever wanted to add more holders. 3 ft should give you enough space, I do not know of many tuna rods that will bend 3 ft so hitting each other shouldnt be an issue, and we all know how fast we react when a rod goes off offshore. Maybe putting the middle holder a hair more fwd might add a little safety since they will be at the same angle as the aft holder, more space might make you feel more comfortable. The fwd holder and middle could be a little closer since they are on different angles and the fwd rod tip will be outward more clearing the 2 behind it. I'm talking maybe 3-6" offset, not a huge difference but might make you feel more comfortable. Another option is adding a set further aft in the eurotransom where it angles down, I've seen some here, there isnt room on all boats but some have it. Not sure I like having a rod back there to me it feels like it is off the boat and a guy will drop it and lose it, and it then puts the rod tip past the transom a bit where yet again it is in the way for fighting fish.

http://www.canyonrunner.com/data/41/img/3420.jpg

that is a pick of canyon runner's Regulator CC, look where their rods are, mostly off the gunwales. they do have one off the trnasom but I honestly hate it, it is in the way and having it straight in the air isnt good for a rod either honestly, putting too much load on the rod at all times. That picture will give you an idea of what your looking at and maybe help you visualize it better.

http://www.canyonrunner.com/data/41/img/3406.jpg

On their big boat they have 2 rods on the transom, but way outboard, this provides a wide area in the middle to fight fish, being our boats are smaller putting any there makes it too tight, on bigger boats 2 about a ft in from the gunwales along the transom works.

Hope this helps a little.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes Bob that is what I was considering or the Taco style. When chunking on my old boat (24 GradyExplorer with bracket) and on the new to me marlin we intentionally do not fight fish off the transom. This is not a problem for me as I am used to it after ten years or so. However, as Gradfish 22 suggested for trolling having rods in the center of the transom it may be a problem. I think I may start with the additional gunwale mounted rod holders. Keep the ideas flowing.

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I added 2 rod holders on the gunwales on my grady 275. Actually, Crocker's marine installed them. I had them added so I could fight bluefin tuna (hopefully) with the two Penn 130's on bent butt rods I own.

They spaced them in the middle of the two factory holders, and are straight down, also they allow the rod to turn 360 degrees. I had them add a solid thick aluminum plate under all three rod holders on both sides so I can fight the fish from the holders...

Reactions: SOBX