Adding second bilge pump

mhff34

Reaction score
I am going to add second pump in my 272. Looks like I can get at hull easily be removing livewell. Wondering what type of work needs to be done after I drill the hole for thru hull fitting ? glass repair etc. Not sure if the sides are cored and need to be sealed? Thanks for any advise. Mike

richie rich

Reaction score
if you are going to drill through the side of the boat to add a bilge drain you will need to seal it up really well. After drilling, epoxy the exposed hole to soak in and waterproof the glass and any core. When dry, bed the fitting with 4200 or 5200 sealant and finish the connection. This will work on any type of cored material, be it wood, foam or just straight glass.

mhff34

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Do I need to drill a larger hole than the fitting to compensate for epoxy and bedding?

richie rich

Reaction score
not really....if for example your thru hull fitting is a 1 inch nominal diameter, a 1 inch hole saw should do fine. The wobble from drilling will make the hole slightly bigger....if its a little snug, take a half round file or one of the mini drum sander bits and a Dremel tool and finish it off. When you apply epoxy, its like applying varnish to a table or door at home. The first few minutes of application will be absorbed into the wood and then another coat or two and it will be set....this is done with one mixing in about 10 minutes. If its a foam or solid glass core, it won't absorb much if at all, just seal it and let it set up. Once curing starts and its hard but just a little tacky, put some 5200 sealant in the hole and some on the shaft of the fitting and install it. Tighten it down around 90% of the way and let the sealer set. Clean up the excess sealer while wet. Then give it a final snug and attach the hose using double clamps.

You want the sealer to cure before attaching the hose because sometimes the hoses and barb fittings are so tight that you really have to muscle it on....if you do this while its wet, you'll squeeze out the wanted sealer. You can use this method for any thru hole or self tapping application.

Now go fishing!

richie rich

Reaction score
??? hard to belive a 27 footer would only have an aft pump but I guess so...adding one forward is a good idea.

mhff34

Reaction score
It has a forward pump as well. Just adding a second aft for redunancy or an emergency. The two on the boat now I think pump total of 2400gph