Adding swivel rod holders 330 express

ocdansar

Reaction score
I added 2 lee 15 degree swivel rod holders. I centered them between the 2 already there. Cut the holes and put 2 coats of resin to seal the core. My plan when I get home from thanksgiving vacation is to use 3-M 4200 to install them. C232B254-6EA2-4CF3-831D-C7A99AE2DAA3.jpegD6AADDD3-8035-4F12-A189-BB6FF000E3DB.jpeg

Fishtales

Reaction score
nice clean cut. looks like you just missed something. well played.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Assume these are for deep dropping, why the 15* versus 0*? I’m planning on adding deep drop rod holders to the transom of my next boat and had been thinking 0* all the way for use with bent butts.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Joefromboston

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Did you consider putting one in the front of the boat?

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
what sort of angle did you use to orient them to avoid rods in same plane as existing holders? This will be a spring time project for me.

ocdansar

Reaction score
15% vs 0 was so my Wife and grand kids could use them with straight but rods.

Never thought about putting them in front of boat. Not sure how you could do that.
They are pointed straight out the side. They will only be used for bottom fishing not trolling or rod storage.

Reactions: kirk a

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
?
I'm not sure how a swivel works when its not a 0 degree with a bent butt.
A bent butt in a 15* will swing up -down not left -right. Non bent rod will not move the rod tip at all.

No place to put fwd roholders on an express except rail mounted

Lucky13

Reaction score
I added two on my 33 also I put them where the rear ones were and moved those between the two factory ones so my swivels were in the corners. just a thought if you have not secured them. This setup worked better for me because i find it a little easier to fight the big fish out of the corners

ocdansar

Reaction score
I don’t think they were close enough to the corner that’s why I put them in the center. I also will pull the rear rods off clips on the transom sometimes.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I think you will be OK with the 15 degree swivels in that position. I added 15 degree fixed holders in that position (actually by accident because I'd thought they were all 15's) and this past summer I used a swivel inserts with bent butt rods for giant fishing. The up and down angle does shift as the fish moves, but it still works pretty OK, even with a huge fish.

But this winter I'm adding a 0 degree holder in the position in the pic below. It's basically as far aft as possible, just ahead of the divider. It's right over the galvanic isolator so that's being relocated. I also like fighting big fish from the aft corner which will hopefully help keep clear of the motors and also allow the fish to drag me backwards when it's a big one. This summer I had a cow drag me over a mile with 40lbs of drag!

Attachments

• image (1).png
    image (1).png
    334.3 KB · Views: 14

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have a "Heavy Duty" Gemlux 0* swivel. It works great with the 80 bent butt outfit but the 50 has a shorter bent butt and the bend is at the edge of the rodholder. It can actually make the rod ride up in the holder. I need to get a "standard" 0* swivel for the other side.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went with short bent butts for my live-bait rods because they also work fine in a stand up harness. (I have Talica 50's which perform like the older-school 80's). I'm installing the short Lee's 6-inch, 0 degree holder so there's enough clearance for the reel. They do sell inserts to pop into the standard long bent butt holders to use with short butts.

I have a "Heavy Duty" Gemlux 0* swivel. It works great with the 80 bent butt outfit but the 50 has a shorter bent butt and the bend is at the edge of the rodholder. It can actually make the rod ride up in the holder. I need to get a "standard" 0* swivel for the other side.