ADDING THIRD BATTERY FOR HOUSE

jimintheair3

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
2004 232 Gulfstream with twinF150 Yamaha's
I have twin 2004 F150 each with starting batterys. Both battery's have switches and charge it's respective battery. I want to add a house battery (third battery). I understand each engine has Aux charging plugin and I have to buy the Battery Isolator Lead and direct it to the +post of the third battery. What is the part number? When I am running what are the amps to the starting battery(main Isolator Lead) and what will be the amps to the Aux lead? I understand the max amps at cruise is 35A per engine, don't know the idle amps. Is the charging discriminating(the weakest battery gets more amps) or are the leads regulated?
Thank you,jim

Hoghunter

Reaction score
Jimontheroad said:
2004 232 Gulfstream with twinF150 Yamaha's
I have twin 2004 F150 each with starting batterys. Both battery's have switches and charge it's respective battery. I want to add a house battery (third battery). I understand each engine has Aux charging plugin and I have to buy the Battery Isolator Lead and direct it to the +post of the third battery. What is the part number? When I am running what are the amps to the starting battery(main Isolator Lead) and what will be the amps to the Aux lead? I understand the max amps at cruise is 35A per engine, don't know the idle amps. Is the charging discriminating(the weakest battery gets more amps) or are the leads regulated?
Thank you,jim

I setup the auxiliary charging circuit on my twin 250's. The amps output is the same as the main leads to your start battery. Yamaha sells the wire for the hookup but it's outrageously priced. They want about $80 for the wire which is about 10' long. There's already a spare connector next to the auxiliary plug in on the engine. Just buy yourself some good marine grade 6 awg wire and do it yourself. It will cost you about a third the price.

My setup works great. I ran the wires through the existing harness tube and then connected to a 40 amp fuse then to the battery. Keeps a good charge on my house battery while underway.