Adding trim tabs to 208

seasick

Reaction score
I am finally going to install tabs on my 208. I am looking at Bennett M120s and would appreciate any experiences you have had with installing tabs on a 208 (2001 model year).

Is there enough room under the swim platform for the actuator?

Where did you mount the pump? Port transom is full of other things.
There may be room on the starboard side near the batteries but probably not on the transom. How thick is the side glass just below the deck cap? Has anyone mounted the pump on the side?

I suppose I might be able to get the pump installed under the motor well but it is so hard to work in there and I want to keep the pump as dry as possible.

Where does the factory install the pump?

And finally, if someone has a similar installation to what I am proposing, how high off of the port and starboard board locker 'floor" did the hole for the hydraulic hose end up. I may need to move a pump and or filter bracket.

Thanks for the help.

CatTwentyTwo

Reaction score
My 208 is a 94 model year so this may be of no help, but for what it's worth. The factory mounted the pump up in the cuddy on mine, you get to it by removing the floor cushion and access cover in there on the starboard side and it is mounted on the bulkhead down below. Kind of in front of and below where your toes would be while standing at the helm. I only looked on the starboard side but the hole thru the transom for the hose is 7 and 3/4 inches above the locker floor, they used a brass pipe nipple thru the transom and connected the hose to it. I don't have a swim platform so I have no idea what kind of clearance problems that might cause. Good luck with your project.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
On ours, I mounted the pump on the transom in the bilge dead center under the motor well. I probably should have put it where the factory installs it, starboard side storage compartment in the cuddy. But the hydraulic lines that come in the kit weren't long enough and I wanted to get the project done. It's been maintenance free in that location for 10+ years, though the brass fittings are looking a little bit green. If you do mount the pump in the cuddy, give Bennett a call beforehand so they'll send you longer hydraulic lines. There is plenty of room for the actuator under the swim step on ours and the holes for the hydraulic lines were above the pumps mounted on the port side transom and about at the top of the battery boxes on the starboard side. I don't recall exactly. Here's an old photo of the completed job. Sorry about the quality... old cell phone camera...

img047.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably not mount the pump in the cuddy. In addition to fluid lines, I would have to run larger power cables. I will look around the battery locker. There seems to be enough space but I need to make sure the batteries can still be removed. The picture of the actuator under the swim platform is most helpful as is the inside measurement.

Tabman

Reaction score
OnoEric's photo shows the "standard" 12" x 9" Trim Tabs, the 10" x 12" M120s have shorter actuators (rams) and require a little less height on the transom, so they will fit under the platform easily. If the height where the tubing enters the transom is not where you need it to be when you lay out the Trim Tabs let me know, we have different length actuators that we could swap for you so it can land where you want it.

The M120s are a perfect system for your 208. I had a set on my 20ft Aquasport Walkaround and was delighted with their performance.

Let me know if I can be of any help when you are doing the installation.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks Tom. Let's see how it goes.