Adhesive Advice for Hull and Cabin Stripes

JeffN

Reaction score
I replaced the stripes on my boat a couple of years ago. This season when I uncovered the boat I see that one of the vinyl stripes on the cabin side had become "unstuck" for the first inch or so. What adhesive do you folks suggest for sticking it back down?
Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd use a very small amount of almond GE silicone (same that is used between hatches and floor).
Put a very thin amount down on the entire area and then put down the stripe. Wipe off all excess with a towel.
You will be able to get the stuff off later if you need to and you know it will stick well to the glass.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hindsight is 20/20, but did you happen to keep the leftover roll? I've always just replaced pieces, but any type of silicone sounds like a good idea. You might have to tape it down till it cures. Apply tape around the 3 edges of where the stripe will be, too. As you apply the tape, focus your pressure on the stripe area first - to help eliminate silicone from squeezing out onto the strip. However, any silicone that squeezes out should rub off easily.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it were me I'd just buy 20ft of tape and replace it right, your always gonna see the silicone under the tape vs the smooth hull under the other parts

JeffN

Reaction score
Yeah I save everything. I thought of using a small piece of leftover tape earlier in the week. I know I have some of the hull stripe but not sure how the cabin side stripes came, precut and on paper or on a roll. I have not had time to dig it out yet. I could always cut down the hull stuff too and make it fit. Thanks guys

JeffN

Reaction score
Yep have some pieces left over - good to go. They were right where I thought they were too, found them in 10 seconds. Nice when things work out.

toolguy73

Reaction score
Make sure the surface is absolutely clean and free of wax and residue before applying the new stripes. If not, it will only peel again.