Adventure 20

dfab

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Hello,
My dad just picked up a 93 Adventure 20 , I don't know if he covered everything like having a survey. He just sold a sailboat and picked up the Grady to put on his mooring and for family to use.
The boat overall looks to be in good condition but I have some concerns/questions that I think you can help with.
Everything looks like it works, tested today.
Questions:
1. Marine antenna wire is broken at the point the coax enters the mast, easy fix or not? how do I fix it.
2. The big question, the transom has two small cracks about 2" long coming down at an angle form the section the motor mounts on on each side. The previous owner had covered them with silicone. The cracks are not long or wide and if pushing on the transom I see no movement.
3. The engine is a Yamaha 175 , my question is at the point that the steering cable attaches to the engine ( I would call it the tiller ) it is heavily rotted , can that be replaced easily?
4. The previous owner commented that the engine overheated one time and that it was some kind of filter, Im at a loss as to what he was talking about.
5. Any help , what to look for will be appreciated

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I would buy a new antenna. They are reasonably priced as it is.

The cracks could be just stress cracks. I don't know. Have not seen it. If they are just stress cracks fixing them with a gel coat repair and maybe epoxy isbtgd way to go. If the transom is wet or rotted , that's an entire different issue.
It sounds like you need a new steering system. The boat is pushing 30. Assuming it's the OEM steering system , my advice is upgrade to hydraulic assuming the motor is fine .

dfab

Reaction score
Model
Advance
Attached are the photo's of the cracks. The steering system is fine its the steering lever mounted to the motor, its rotted badly. Looked on YouTube and one video came up on replacing it , they ripped the engine a new one then if I recall correctly they said they only needed to remove 4 or 6 bolts to back the engine off the pivot to replace the arm / lever.

Attachments

• 20191006_093906.jpg
    20191006_093906.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20191006_093859.jpg
    20191006_093859.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

HTHM

Reaction score
Take a flat faced hammer and tap the face of the transom, if it is solid you will here a sharp tinging sound. If you hear a dull thump, that could be an indication of wet wood and plywood that has started to de-laminate or worse, rot. If that is the case replacing the transom would be in your best interest as one does not want a transom and motor to detach from the boat while you are underway.
The presentation of those cracks indicate to me that you have had flexing in the transom which indicates that the wood has weakened. They both go away from the edge of the splash well on a 45 degree angle. That is cause for concern I'm afraid.
Good luck with however you proceed from here.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I don’t know what old boat doesn’t have cracks. My Overnighter has them with no transom flex and it’s been like that since I bought the boat 6-7 years ago. I’ve got a big 225 on it too.
I’d say buy and mount a transom plate, take the trim off and seal it all up with 3m 5200. Put the trim back on and go out and use your boat. Let your dad enjoy it.
Watch the transom for flexing but I’m betting you won’t see any.
https://www.iboats.com/shop/springf...MIwMj9-LmS5QIVTbDtCh1RIgSmEAQYByABEgKXSfD_BwE
Edit: just reread your post, you mention the prior owner covered the cracks with silicone. Did the silicone look like it had been there for awhile? If it was and was still covering the cracks that means the cracks didn’t grow. If you notice them getting longer then I’d take notice.

Last edited:

dfab

Reaction score
Model
Advance
I don’t know what old boat doesn’t have cracks. My Overnighter has them with no transom flex and it’s been like that since I bought the boat 6-7 years ago. I’ve got a big 225 on it too.
I’d say buy and mount a transom plate, take the trim off and seal it all up with 3m 5200. Put the trim back on and go out and use your boat. Let your dad enjoy it.
Watch the transom for flexing but I’m betting you won’t see any.
https://www.iboats.com/shop/springf...MIwMj9-LmS5QIVTbDtCh1RIgSmEAQYByABEgKXSfD_BwE
We had someone look at it and the were not concerned , we are going to do a jell coat repair and keep an eye on it. Going from a sail boat to a power bot is a learning experience.

dfab

Reaction score
Model
Advance
We had someone look at it and the were not concerned , we are going to do a jell coat repair and keep an eye on it. Going from a sail boat to a power bot is a learning experience.
BOAT

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
One other thing is to accept little things like that crack. Unless you like doing gelcoat repairs yourself don’t go nuts with it. Seal it and enjoy the boat. On mine I filled the cracks with marinetex epoxy, sanded it smooth and covered it with white traction tape. I trimmed the tape corners neatly and it looks like it came that way.
My brother in law was a sailboat guy too. Had to watch what shoes you wore and what suntan lotion you brought onboard.
Fish from it? :eek: What and get blood on the deck! o_Oo_O
Your on a powerboat now, learn not to stress the small stuff ;)
Maybe in time we’ll have you cussing at those sailboat guys when they take over the channel. :D
Mike

Reactions: dfab