Adventure 208 Electronics Box - Fishfinder Size?

LewesFM180

Reaction score
I've order a Adventure 208 and wanted to reach out to other owners to see how big of a fishfinder they were able to mount inside the box?
I'm hoping it can take a 9" or bigger screne, appreciate any feedabck.

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I had a Garmin GPSMAP 8612XSV 12 installed in my 208. It sits in the enclosure with the screen directly behind the door box. If I recall correctly the installer had to remove the Yamaha control screen to bolt the Garmin down into that location as there is not enough room to reach in from the sides. We also took a grinder to part of the bracket to make it fit correctly. It works down there, but I'm planning to modify it by removing the door and flush mounting the 12" on a new panel that I will make that will fit all existing holes from the door. Alternatively, I may just remove the door as it's in the way since it blocks part of the Yamaha controls when it's open for the Garmin. It does fit however and I would recommend you go with the larger screen as anything smaller than 12" diagonal is hard to see.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have two 7 inch models flush mounted on my 208 beside each other., without to much modification to the box. Changed the viewing angle slightly for easier read.

LewesFM180

Reaction score
thanks gbgrady208 and trapper for the feedback, I'm hoping to get at least a 9" touchscreen in there, I wish Grady got rid of the box and just had a flat panel there, but it is what it is., thanks again

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Here's a photo showing the 12 inch Garmin in the 208 electronics box. It fits with the door installed, but I opted to remove the door as I got tired of opening and closing it - - when the door it up it's in the way of the Yamaha screen. Works either way and the 12" is nice for clarity and visibility.

Attachments

• GW208 Electronic Box.jpg
    GW208 Electronic Box.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 34

seasick

Reaction score
I have 2 - 5 inch displays but I think 2- 7s would fit. I find that two displays are more useful as compared to a slightly larger display using spilt screen. I am surprised to see that a 12 inch display fit.
Is that mounted on a bracket!?
For the record,
I remove my displays after each outing. How hard is it to remove and install that12 inch?

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes, the 12" is on the garmin supplied mount (after a little grinding to slightly modify the bracket - - though not sure that was necessary based on how it was finally mounted). You can easily get to the two Garmin supplied screw handles on each side, so my guess is removal is no different than the smaller ones. I like the bigger screen - - with my typically dirty glasses while fishing and boating I find the smaller screens more difficult to see. All personal choice - - my other boat has two screens (both 12") so it's nice to have navigation on one side and fishing features on the other. As a reminder though, with the single 12" you can do a split screen display and get the same effect as two screens. We usually are showing 4 splits - - sonar, radar, chart and relief shading.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think the electronic's boxes are the same size on the 208 vs the 226/228? Anyway, I've got a 7" Garmin that came with the boat currently in there and it's much too small IMO. When I go to upgrade it'll likely be to a Garmin 943xsv, unless they come out with something new between now and then. IMO, the Garmin 943xsv is the perfect combination of screen size, features as well as being priced pretty well at around $1399. It seems like anytime you go up to a 10", or larger, Garmin touchscreen then it almost roughly doubles that price. If I was going 40+ miles each way to the place where I wanted to go fishing then maybe I'd need a bigger than 9" display, or multiple displays. With the smaller 943xsv though, with the money you save compared to a 10" and larger screen, you could put that towards radar, a new transducer or whatever else you wanted to spend it on. I know some of the Garmin MFD's that have the buttons on the side are larger and aren't quite as expensive as say a 8610xsv or 1243xsv, but I'm a fan of touchscreen only, just like on my phone.

LewesFM180

Reaction score
this is great news, knowing that the 12" will fit! I do plan on buying the Garmin bundle that includes radar. but this opens up different options, I thought I might be stuck with a smaller screen, thanks everyone for you feedback!