Adventure 208 Fuel Sender & Tank Depth

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
Does the 1999 Adventure 208 come with a "hinge-style" fuel tank sensor or the WEMA reed switch "Vertical Float" style sender?

What is the height of the fuel tank?

Looking to replace a sticking sender, and the tank is currently full so I'd rather not open it just yet to measure myself.

seasick

Reaction score
v8boatbuilder said:
Does the 1999 Adventure 208 come with a "hinge-style" fuel tank sensor or the WEMA reed switch "Vertical Float" style sender?

What is the height of the fuel tank?

Looking to replace a sticking sender, and the tank is currently full so I'd rather not open it just yet to measure myself.

If the tank is full or nearly full, fuel will pour out when you remove the sender ring. You will have to use up some gas and I would suggest going as low as you feel comfortable with. I can't say what sender you have but my 2001 has a wema type sender.

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
Opened up the tank, and I have a reed-switch sensor in a baffle tube!

I was able to free the sticking sender, and it works great now. I don't need to replace it just yet, but in case I do or anyone else does, here are some measurements.

Attachments

• IMG_8039.JPG
    IMG_8039.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,883
  • IMG_8040.JPG
    IMG_8040.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,883
  • IMG_8042.JPG
    IMG_8042.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,878

LB2141

Reaction score
v8boatbuilder said:
Opened up the tank, and I have a reed-switch sensor in a baffle tube!

I was able to free the sticking sender, and it works great now. I don't need to replace it just yet, but in case I do or anyone else does, here are some measurements.
Mine just started sticking this season. What exactly did you do to free it up? I have to bang on the top of the sender with a screwdriver to unstick it.

seasick

Reaction score
A few comments: First of all, great that you freed it up. I see that your tank is poly and that is good. The rule for those types of senders is to get one an inch shorter than the tanks depth and yours seems to be right on.

The stain on the sender appears to be varnish and if so I would expect the inside of the tank to look similar. I don't know how long you have had this boat and whether you use E10 gas but if you do, keep an eye on your filters. The ethanol in the gas will dissolve the varnish and that often fouls up filters. Over time the ethanol may actually clean the tank:)

Safe boating!

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
Yea.... Varnish is no good. Thanks for looking out!

I just switched the original filter to a 10 micron Racor w/metal bowl, and always keep a spare element onboard. Stuck using E10 gas, thanks government. :bang

seasick

Reaction score
v8boatbuilder said:
Yea.... Varnish is no good. Thanks for looking out!

I just switched the original filter to a 10 micron Racor w/metal bowl, and always keep a spare element onboard. Stuck using E10 gas, thanks government. :bang
The corn farmers are pleased...