Adventure 208 - Lewmar Winch - rope capacity?

Gamechanger

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have just installed a Lewmar profish 700 on the 208, can anyone confirm an estimate on how much rope they are getting into the anchor well and what rope they are using?
Dan

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Don't know about your boat, but 8-plait is best if you want to get the most in a given space. Works best on windlass as well. 1/2" 8-plait is the preferred for that windlass. I have the 1000 and tried both three strand and 8-plait, no comparison. 8-plait gets better with time and lays in the locker much better.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This is a horizontal windlass, right? How deep is the locker from the underside of the deck, straight down?

8-plait is definitely the best. Not that 3-strand won't work, though. Adding chain will help, too - in many ways.

billyttpd

Reaction score
Gamechanger Im guessing you have a pulpit on your boat? I was told I cant put a windlass on my Adventure not enough space for the rode it will tangle before dropping inot the locker. I have a 96 Adventure no pulpit.

13rounds

Reaction score
Biscayne208 has one on his boat and on his boat has 300' of 1/2 8 plait with 30 feet of chain. The line has never tangled on retrieval.

the gipper

Reaction score
I ordered a 2014 208 adventure with delivery to the dealer scheduled for January. Options for them to install include a Lewmar 550 prosport. After checking other installs in the area they thought the best, or safest, rope length would be 150 feet of 1/2 rope and 20 feet of 1/4 chain. As I will only be anchoring in Lake Erie, I probably would never need more length. I will not have a pulpit and wonder if this horizontal windlass and rode is the best I can do. What would you guys get if you had this option open to you? I would greatly appreciate your ideas and recommendations to alter while the window of opportunity is still open. What is the best way to go?

13rounds

Reaction score
I would install a pulpit and then intall a horizontal lewmar 700