Adventure 208 Owner Needs Electronics Advice Please

langski93

Reaction score
I am planning for the Spring already and want to install a new gps/fishfinder/depthfinder, radar and radio. Given the relatively small storage in the helm area of a 208, can you make any recommendations by model and manufacturer as to systems you like. Radar is just wishful thinking I am sure. I basically want to be able to find my out and back, know how deep I am and spot any fish that happen to be in the area. I would like a screen I can see, balanced against space limitatios and color would be nice. Am I missing anything? Thanks in advance.

langski93

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If your 208 is an '01 or newer, the e-box opening is bigger than the '98-2000 models.

You can maximize full use of the box, and get a 7" screen in there, but anything else in there will have to be moved. This is not a big deal if you go with one of the S/H or ICOM black box VHFs with display, controls and speaker in the mic.

If you go 7" combo unit and want radar, some options are the Garmin 740s, or the Lowrance HDS-7.

Either way, consider removing the plexiglass door and flush mounting it. It makes for a cleaner installation and its easier to see.

Average Joe

Reaction score
Go Garmin and you won't be disappointed. The new 740's can provide FF,GPS and radar. You can buy it as a bundle or add the radar later.

VHF Radio, Icom and forget about it. Package it with a Digital 529 antenna and you will be amazed.

ibgary

Reaction score
Website
www.mypacificrealty.com
I am doing the same on my 1989 overnighter. I am looking at the Lowrance HDS10 base using Navionics Gold charting with broadband radar, B60 Transducer. I will mount display at helm on console above storage box for ease of viewing. After reading the comments on Garmin I will certainly check out. Good luck.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 208 and in my electronics box I have a Furuno Depth finder and a Garmin 540s, the new model is 541s. The Furuno came with the boat and I moved my Garmin to the box. It is really the only thing you need. I use it to navigate the ICW all along the coast and off the coast (a little way).
Get a 541s or maybe the 7 and you'll be fine. You will also have room for your VHF radio. I'll get a new picture tomorrow during daylight.
Original Furuno GPS
Furno.jpg

GOA

Reaction score
An "out of the box" thought...Some Sitex GPS/FF/Sounders come with a quick release bracket which makes installation on top of the console a very viable option. At the end of the day...simply snap off the unit and bring it with you. Their 7 inch screens are big enough to be very clear...even without my glasses!

GOA :D

langski93

Reaction score
Thanks for all replies. I really like what I have now read on the Garmin 740 series.This is a great site.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like Parthery's idea of a 'black box' radio. And if you are willing to replace the radio box door with same-sized piece of starboard, you can flush mount a garmin 4208, or similar.

Click on image to enlarge:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Go to West or whoever and see how unit(s) look with multiple screen up at same time, and stand back equal distance as in your boat, to see if you can see what you want.

Realize seeing 3 different inputs on same small (relatively speaking)screen is very tough, two on the units will work but max out in size all you can.
One input is fine on any size.

My Garmin 4208 screen is perfect and very bright and colorful. Using it for GPS only now. Have a Furuno for FF.

I believe FF is always stand alone screen, and 2nd screen for GPS plus occassional radar split, only because radar is rarely used for me. In your model two screens is tough to fit.