Adventure 208 Winterizing

2ndChance

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

I read a few posts on the site about winterizing the raw and fresh water systems, but I was wondering about the best way to do this for a 208. I thought I would just unscrew the hose clamp on the raw water intake (near the seacock) and put that hose in a jug of 50/50 water/anti solution. for the 10 gal freshwater system, I was just going to pour in some 50/50 solution and run it.

It sounds easy, so I'm thinking I forgot something ;-)

Let me know what you think.

Joe

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
SW - you could.

FW - run the pump until no more water flows, add 2 gallons of non-toxic antifreeze to tank, run pump until colored water comes out the faucets.
If you are in Alaska, use 3 gallons!

2ndChance

Reaction score
thanks Bob. How much non toxic anti should I run through the raw water system?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Enough to have it flow from the faucet.

I just run the SW pump dry when the boat comes out of the water, then leave the thru hull and faucet open. But if you are concerned with the pump, then run it with anti-freeze as you suggested.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Make sure you use the right antifreeze, not the stuff for cars, never use that. And not the winshield washer stuff either, that's toxic too.

You want marine/RV non-toxic antifreeze suitable for fresh water systems, no such thing as 50/50. It's pimk/red in color. At Marine Stores, some hardware stores like ACE on Long Island, etc.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Good advice, the extent of my winterizing know-how involves hooking up the trailer and driving South.

rparkssos

Reaction score
I've been winterizing the same model boat as you have for quite a few years now. For the fresh water, I run the system until it's empty, pour a gallon of RV antifreeze into the tank and then run it till I can see the antifreeze coming out. For the raw water all I do is disconnect the spiral hose I have in the cockpit and let the pump run for a minute or so. That's it. I live north of Boston and never had any problems doing it this way.

seasick

Reaction score
Raw water doesn't need to be treated generally. If you have a raw water hose hose, make sure that it is drained. You can unscrew the inlet and outlet hoses from the pump and let them drop down. That should insure that the pump drains. Note, only undo the inlet if the boat is stored on dry ground. leave the petcock open.
Fresh water advise already given is correct.