Adventure 208 + Yamaha F225A - performance and PROP choice!

antaris

Reaction score
Hello all from the other side of the world...Greece. Oh yes, we do a fair bit of boating in the warm waters of the Med - and we love our GW's too!

This is my first post in this forum, so thanks for hosting my question (and a -late- happy new year to all). Been studying hard all the interesting posts, so I felt it's time to start my questions too!

Here is my case: I recently went mad and bought a lovely used GW Adventure 208 with a Yamaha F225A (+a 15HP Yami kicker). Boat is in good condition, including factory Hard-Top, among other extras. It needs a bit of cosmetic work (will do myself - we are in the worst crisis ever over here), and was thinking of fine-tuning a few things here and there to try to get the most out of it. Will post some pictures after she's had the full-works "spa" this winter.

So, first of all, the prop choices seem to be... well... endless. I am totally confused and do not even where to start from. In the spring I will be able to do some real-life tests, although I dunno where to even start from.

At the moment there's a stock prop on: a 3-blade Stainless Yammy (?) prop with "17-M" written on it. Here's what I'm getting (100ltrs of gas and 2 light people on, GPS agrees):
3700rpm 20mph (US land miles, the ones you also use!)
4800rpm 29mph
5100rpm 32mph
Silly me, did not try WOT before I pulled out the boat for winter repairs...

Are these figures right? I am no speed demon by any means, but I imagined that I'd get a bit more speed at the 3900-4200 rpm range (which I believe is most economical) - 25 to 28 mph would be great.

Should I try some 4-blade props on? What pitch and diameter? Any fellow 208ers out there that have some proposals? Please note the hard top is on (I believe this makes a great difference in wind drag)... All I want is a great economic cruising speed increase!!!

sorry for the long post, but I'm a fresher and happy! :D

PS [My friends in the US (and elsewhere), gas prices are crazy this side of the world, that's why economy MATTERS - we're talking approx. 6 Euros per Gallon (8 USD)... But let's not get into this discussion, as most will agree that I should have bought a sailboat!].

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Re: Adventure 208 + Yamaha F225A - performance and PROP choi

Congratulations on the new boat! the 208 is (or in your case will be) the most versatile and efficient choice.
You are definitely propped wrong. You should see just over 40mph and 6000 RPM's at WOT, consider that your target.

My engine is an older 2-stroke 200hp, I'm always heavily loaded with a hardtop and curtains, fishing gear, etc. My optimal cruise (4000rpm's) is 28mph and top out at 43mph.

With your setup make sure your engine is running right, the kicker isn's dragging and you should see approx 28mph @ 4200rpms and over 3mpg. I would think the best prop to start with would be a 15-1/4 x 17 Yamaha SWS, this is common on that engine/hull config. That being said Grady White customer service call tell you exactly what prop you need.

Post your specific question on this forum, its what they do.
http://www.propgods.com/forum/default.aspx?g=forum

Good luck and let me know when you get it dialed in, a 4s 225 is in my near future.

antaris

Reaction score

Many thanks for the reply Walkers Edge. Just so that I do not forget to tell you - the one thing I do know about the Yamaha 225 is that it's heavy! When two mid-weighed guys sit at rear seats, we do get a bit of water from the scuppers - no real worry, just wet feet.

I guess, though, from what I've read - it's generally better to run at mid-rev with more horses on stand-by. Many fellow 208ers have reported that a 200HP would have been their better choice (instead of 150/175HP). Not that I have an option - that's what I got!

Is the 15-1/4 x 17 Yamaha SWS a 3 or 4 blade?

As for the GW service, well we are the other side of the planet, so service is not exactly what the US customers experience. I'd rather gather information by myself, just since online communities do have a collective-knowledge advantage.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score

The SWS is a 3-blade.

I would still call GW if you can find the time, they can take all the guesswork out since this hull and motor configuration has been around for a long time.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

antaris, welcome aboard. I just saw your post and your location. Where from in Greece ? I am from Kerkyra.

no problem

Reaction score

This question is impossible to answer without a wide open rpm figure. You should definitely email your question to Grady. I'm sure they would love to hear from you. They may have a performance bulletin for your exact boat motor combination. You can start fine tuning from there. Good luck and enjoy your Grady.

http://www.gradywhite.com/contact/

antaris

Reaction score

Many thanks for the input - will try to contact GW, although any user comments would be more than welcome!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
antaris, welcome aboard. I just saw your post and your location. Where from in Greece ? I am from Kerkyra.

Hey Giorgos, I live in Athens and run my boat in the Saronic gulf (so far). With experience, I will venture out into the Aegean sea. Do you ever visit Greece, or are you permanently based in the US?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Yeah, i try to come down every other year. This summer we will be down. We usually stay in Athens for couple of days to see my koubaro and some relatives, then we go to Kerkyra, then to "paradise island" Othoni.

antaris

Reaction score

Heheh, the best of both worlds, eh? Sounds like a great deal to me - although I do not know where Othoni Island is!

Biscayne208

Reaction score

[Antaris,

It is a 15x15 pitch mercury enertia. i bought it from Ken at propgods who was recommended earlier in this thread. He gave me his advice. Sent me the prop and it was the right prop. the first try. it sure was expensive (over $500) but that is what the Enertia propeller costs. Propgods pricing is very reasonable and his service is excellent.

www.Propgods.com

check it out

antaris

Reaction score

Thanks Biscayne208, I must have a go at different props when I get the chance... Looks like a 15 x15 (or near) is the recommended setup that works for most...

antaris

Reaction score

IMPORTANT UPDATE - should anyone get back to this otherwise old post.

I stripped my hull, painted fresh epoxy underlayer and fresh bottom paint, serviced engine and the numbers went up to an incredible:
3800rpm 27mph
4000rpm 28mph
6000rpm WOT 44mph

with otherwise IDENTICAL setup. So, the nasty growth on the bottom was making THAT much difference...

Check full measurements and alternate prop numbers on http://adventure208.tumblr.com/

Sorry to mention my blog again (it's getting silly, this is the 3rd mention in this site), but I've put up all the info there (+all the updates).