Adventure cabin drain

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Can anyone confirm if the drain in the cabin drain into the bilge?
First year with this boat, when winterizing put about a half a gallon of antifreeze but never seemed to come out the bilge/drain. I always keep that drain dry but was afraid ifwateer got in then it would freeze.

seasick

Reaction score
The cabin drain runs into the bilge. Like the anchor locker which also drains into the bilge, water tends to accumulate forward and may not drain aft unless the hull is at a fairly steep angle, The drain tube aft past the tank area may be clogged also.
My 208 seems to drain every spring when I back the boat onto the launch ramp. I don't put antifreeze in the bilge, never have, and have no issues with freezing that I am aware of in the 12 years I've owned the boat. That said, it can't hurt to pour a little either in the forward locker in the cabin or in the cabin drain

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The cabin drain runs into the bilge. Like the anchor locker which also drains into the bilge, water tends to accumulate forward and may not drain aft unless the hull is at a fairly steep angle, The drain tube aft past the tank area may be clogged also.
My 208 seems to drain every spring when I back the boat onto the launch ramp. I don't put antifreeze in the bilge, never have, and have no issues with freezing that I am aware of in the 12 years I've owned the boat. That said, it can't hurt to pour a little either in the forward locker in the cabin or in the cabin drain
Thank you! The boat is pretty level (leaning back a little to help drain) but prob not enough. I will try adjusting angle and see if that helps, if not will try with the telescopic camera from bilge forward and see what I see.
Even if antifreeze hate to leave any liquid sitting in there.
Thanks
Many thanks.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you can, set the boat on an incline (bow up) when you store for layup and remove the plug. All the water runs out.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The boat is on level ground on a trailer with the trailer wheel fully extended so it has max tilt.
When I pulled the plug all the water ran out (wasnt much I'm there as it stays pretty dry in the bilge). But when I added the antifreeze to the cabin drain, it never made it into the well (no pink water ever dropped out) - I will try bigger incline and test and if that dont work check for obstructions in the pipe that goes to the bilge.
Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've never looked close enough at the pipe in my cabin, but it's quite possible that the pipe isn't flush with the bottom of the cabin bilge floor... Another reason that it may not drain right away, until you jack up the front of the boat/trailer higher.

Reactions: Jonah

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've never looked close enough at the pipe in my cabin, but it's quite possible that the pipe isn't flush with the bottom of the cabin bilge floor... Another reason that it may not drain right away, until you jack up the front of the boat/trailer higher.

Or, maybe until you add a bit more (or more water) to flush it out. Probably impossible to get every drop to drain out, since (as Dennis said) those bilge compartments are connected by a pipe that isn't necessarily flush with the floor, or even with the wall itself.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When the 208 is sitting on the flat, the bow portion of the hull is lower than the rest of the hull (bilge). A decent incline will flush the pool of water that gets into that lower space;. I cut a hole and put a six inch hatch cover (same one as on the deck over the fuel tank) in the cabin sole. Put a high pressure hose into the drain tube and cleaned it out, as it drains out the stern garboard drain plug. Amazing what come out the first time. Bits of chopped fibreglass, wire etc., from its days being hatched(no pun intended) at the GW home for the more fortunate. Blow it out every year to clean out anchor deposits and things that can grow in the dark. Cheers trapper

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
And... any bit of standing water left will not cause any issues when it freezes. The ONLY way it could cause issues is if the pipe is plugged - and then the most likely scenario will be to crack the pipe. There would have to be A LOT of water in the bilge to cause an issue. A couple gallons wouldn't even be a problem - would need to be a lot more than that. But, of course, it's not a "bad" idea to toss some AF in there.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Another option is to locate a good pitch, if you can drive the boat on it and leave for a while.