Adventure main and kicker controls Set up

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Looking for ideas how to setup my Adventure main and kicker controls.

97 GW Adventure 2003 Yamaha 200 four stroke, 2022 Yamaha T9.9 remote controls, electric start, power tilt. Seastar Hyd. Steering main motor. Seastar cable steer for the kicker.

Thinking about Yamaha - 704 dual premium mechanical control with trim & tilt or

Seastar solutions Xtreme dual control with trim & tilt.

Or???

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do not know much about the Seastar xtreme, I have the Yam 704 dual control with trim and tilt. Made up my own connection from kicker to main which stays fixed with both or individual motors up or down. You could sell the single controls to help pay for the upgrade to duals.

seasick

Reaction score
I have no experience with your setup but am curious. What does the 'cable steer' for the kicker connect to at the helm?

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The Yamaha - 704 dual has the trim tab rockers mounted forward.
The Seastar solutions dual has 4 rockers which 1 rocker switch I am assuming could be used to control kicker motor tilt?
Am leaning towards the Seastar dual but do not have experience with any of this.

attached pic. of the Seastar kicker cable and dual controls

Attachments

• Seastar kicker cable steering.png
    Seastar kicker cable steering.png
    355.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Seastar dual control.png
    Seastar dual control.png
    216 KB · Views: 20

hanke777

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I decided to go with the Yamaha dual 704 control, keep it simple.

JoeJr

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I am on a similar path in setting up my Adventure for Lake Erie fishing and would like to compare notes and ask a question or two. Sorry for my lengthy post.

Background:
I purchased a 2000 Adventure in late 2021. It is powered by a 2017 Yamaha 200 HP. I am in the middle of installing:
- Hydraulic steering upgrade (Seastar)
- Lowrance Autopilot
- Lowrance Carbon 9
- New Yamaha 9.9 high thrust kicker (electric start, power tilt)
- Yamaha dual 704 Binnacle controls
- Panther adjustable kicker motor mount

Hydraulic Steering and Autopilot:
I have the hydraulic steering, autopilot system, and Lowrance installed and plan to add hydraulic fluid and bleed system this week. Install went ok but I ended up installing the autopilot pump and NAC1 computer on wall inside cabin as I could not find enough space in the helm. I also drilled a hole in splashwell to slide the Seastar rod into tilt tube. Others said that they lifted their main motor to fit the tube, but I did not have that option readily available to me.

Lowrance Fishfinder Installation:
I have installed the HDS Carbon 9 in the compartment in front of steering wheel. The unit fits real well in there and in my dry land testing seems to get a good satellite signal even though I have a hardtop. Has anyone with a hard top found issues with satellite signal signal strength with fishfinder mounted in this enclosure?

Kicker Motor Issues:
I decided to move my swim platform to Starboard and will install the Panther bracket and kicker on Port side. I am going that route for two reasons.
#1 The batteries are on Starboard side so I figure I will have better weight balance with the 9.9 installed on Port side.
#2 The control cables path seem better to port side of transom vs starboard where the cables would have to make a very sharp turn out of the splashwell. Interested in any thoughts on this approach

Kicker Bracket: Issue:
I found that the Panther bracket will not work as delivered on my Adventure due to the way that the rub rail protrudes over the transom. At correct height, the bracket handle is up against the rub rail. I am addressing this by using 2 inch heavy wall aluminum tubing between bracket and transom. I have not installed (drilled transom) yet, but dry fit looks good and the standoff appears to be more than strong enough.

Kicker connection to Main motor:
My plan is to keep main motor down to use as a rudder and connect it to kicker. I am down to two options. Option One is an EZ-Steer rod. Reviews on EZ-Steering seem to be mixed. Option Two is the Seastar Kicker cable. I lean towards the Seastar option but my Adventure does not have the required 14 inches of clearance on Starboard side of main motor tilt tube. Looks like I might be able to drill a hole in spashwell and install a boot or something else to allow the ZSeastar rod to slide into. I see that you stated that you are installing Seastar kicker steering - how are you adressing this issue?

Yamaha controls:
I am waiting for my Yamaha dealer to get me the dual 704 binnacle control, wiring harness, and control cables for kicker. I ordered 23 foot control cables figuring I need the extra 3 feet to get over to port mounted kicker. I called Grady and they confirmed that they use 20 foot controls to main motor. I am not sure how accurate my length estimate is though and curious if you or anyone else came up with a different length. I am also interested in any advice on installation of the dual controls. The boat has a single 704 installed now that was part of the installation of Outboard in 2017 that I will be removing. I am hoping that I can use that as a reference in installing the dual controls.

Thanks
Joe

jjjewett

Reaction score
As it relates to kicker connection to main motor, Im in the same situation with my 2006 208 Adventure and Yamaha 9.9 kicker mounted on a fixed mount.
There is not enough clearance for the Seastar kicker cable, which would be my preference by far. The Seastar works OK but is a pain in the butt to click in when we reach the fishing grounds...add in big swell or rough water and it is dangerous...

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Regarding a kicker connection to the main. Easy to make... get appropriate length of "ss ready rod". Purchase the ball joint ends and connectors at any boat dealer. You will need a piece of stainless or aluminium angle to extend the angle of the rod on the kicker, so the connecting rod will not hit the corner of the splash well. I slid plastic tubing over the ready rod to make it more friendly . I do not remove it , stays on with both motors raised or down individually. I get a full turn to port and starboard.

jjjewett

Reaction score
Regarding a kicker connection to the main. Easy to make... get appropriate length of "ss ready rod". Purchase the ball joint ends and connectors at any boat dealer. You will need a piece of stainless or aluminium angle to extend the angle of the rod on the kicker, so the connecting rod will not hit the corner of the splash well. I slid plastic tubing over the ready rod to make it more friendly . I do not remove it , stays on with both motors raised or down individually. I get a full turn to port and starboard.
Thank you trapper! do you have photos you could share of this setup?