Adventure on Mohave Lake, water skiing

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here's our beach day-camp with friends over the weekend. Mohave Lake is part of the Colorado River Lakes, between Hoover Dam and Davis Dam at Laughlin Nevada and Bullhead City AZ.

KINGJ prompted me to post these. The old man (yours truly) got up on one ski too, 52 years is an old man!!

Got my buddy to pull me. I don't get to ski off my own boat as no one to drive it. Wifey says she would run over me or hit the beach. :roll:

Chris_slalom2.jpg

Chris_slalom.jpg

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's a little different than the lowcountry of South Carolina too! The water clarity is amazing - most of the lakes in SC are muddy or stained. Nice pics

Kurth

Reaction score
Great pics! Looks like a lot of fun.

Can't wait to get in the water for this season.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks awesome, lots of fun and i like the single ski.
I recall we drove over Hoover in a 27' RV that we hired in LA several years ago. I was so stressed out from the busy drive that I missed how beautiful it is.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jekyl said:
Looks awesome, lots of fun and i like the single ski.
I recall we drove over Hoover in a 27' RV that we hired in LA several years ago. I was so stressed out from the busy drive that I missed how beautiful it is.

We did that trip two years ago, our RV is 32' and the boat is 27' on the trailer, just under the legal length limit on US roads. We found a place to pull off and did the tour of the dam - absolutely awesome.

We kept on going and went around the lake about 50 miles to Temple Bar resort. It was February and we lucked out on 80 degree days and not a soul there. The lake is 100' feet low, the docks and marina is waaaaaay down and out into the lake hundreds of yards. The ramp was so shallow the front wheels of the RV were in the water before the trailer was deep enough to float the boat off. Was a beatiful run on the lake though.

Would love to trade you tours - you come here and then we'll come there. One of my dreams is to visit Australia. It's on the 'bucket list'. :wink:

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When you are ready just let me know. Love showing folks around our part of the world.

I've done 3 MTN bike trips in the US . In fact i was just reading about the Bootleg Canyon trails outside of Boulder. I've never done any boating or fishing there tho'.

After travelling around the US I understand why you have so much to be proud of. It is a truly beautiful and dramatic continent with some of the best hospitality. Especially if you can get away from those big cities.

I have ridden Moab twice and I seem to recall a thread where youu mentioned a 4x4 trip on the jeep trail?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Great photos, Chris! Are there 2-stroke regs for Mohave Lake?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
OnoEric said:
Great photos, Chris! Are there 2-stroke regs for Mohave Lake?

I don't think so Eric. I think it's the same as Havasu and Mead. In Arizona pretty much anything goes. I know if they can run the old Kawasaki jetskiis on there, which they do, then there are no epa regs on the motors.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jekyl said:
When you are ready just let me know. Love showing folks around our part of the world.

I've done 3 MTN bike trips in the US . In fact i was just reading about the Bootleg Canyon trails outside of Boulder. I've never done any boating or fishing there tho'.

After travelling around the US I understand why you have so much to be proud of. It is a truly beautiful and dramatic continent with some of the best hospitality. Especially if you can get away from those big cities.

I have ridden Moab twice and I seem to recall a thread where youu mentioned a 4x4 trip on the jeep trail?

Okay, we'll come crash at your place, drink your beer, and make you take us fishing in your cool Grady White Express. :mrgreen:

Seriously, if you know someone that lives in a vacation destination, then all one really needs is a hotel or condo, and your hosts can help you setup an itinerary. Would be really fun to do a fishing or diving trip off the coast.

There is so much to see in the US most people just scratch the surface. If I hadn't traveled for business I wouldn't have seen half the country. There are litterally tons of beautiful places to visit in every state.

And yes, the big-city people are just rude. Once you get away it's like a whole different country. We live 45 miles from Los Angeles and absolutely hate it when people say we 'live in LA'. We live in Orange County, which is more affluent and conservative. They call it living behind the orange curtain. When visitors fly into LAX, if they rent a car we tell them not to get off the freeway AT ALL, FOR ANY REASON, 'till they get out of LA. It's just too dangereous if you don't know where you're going.

We did the jeep thing for a few years before getting back into boating. Moab was a destination I never made but would still like to visit. We're back into dirt bikes and that's what got us started on the jeeps in the first place. But yeah, it's all just fun and outdoors. But it's getting crowded in a lot of places and there are too many drunken idiots that are ruining it for everybody. All the places are pretty nice in the off-season, or when everybody is at work. The weekends get just stupid.

I'll find some pics and maybe a link for our Rubicon trip I mentioned in the jeep. It's up in the Eldorado mountains just west of Lake Tahoe in central California. Stunning beauty and very remote. If you break down you better be able to fix yourself and get back out. There's no AAA Towing Service up there!