Adventure/overnight anchor light doesnt stay tight

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
My anchor light (a replacement I luckily bought from someone on this site last year) tend to wiggle loose and lose it connection with any major movement of the boat.

Is there supposed to be something on the light that screws into the base to hold it in? Afraid I will eventually break the pins in the base and need to resolve.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Depends on the style - can you describe it better or post a picture? I don't know how old your boat is, but these are very easy to source should you see a need to replace the pole or deck fitting. Perko and Attwood are probably the two biggest players here.

If the pole isn't physically popping out of the socket, then the male and/or female pins are likely worn/loose. Sometimes the female pins get pushed up/in a bit - take a look at it.

Reactions: imjus4u2nv

seasick

Reaction score
The factory light should have a plastic screw cap that slides along the shaft. You push in the tube, slide the cap ring down and screw it snug. In addition, the base mounted on the windscreen should also have the appropriate threads for the ring to screw onto.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
The factory light should have a plastic screw cap that slides along the shaft. You push in the tube, slide the cap ring down and screw it snug. In addition, the base mounted on the windscreen should also have the appropriate threads for the ring to screw onto.
The connector on the boat had a plastic cap covering the threads, once I removed i can now screw light on - many thanks. Cant believe I have been dealing with that light for a year and such a simple fix.

Thank once again greatgrady.

Attachments

• 20190926_093826.jpg
    20190926_093826.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190926_093820.jpg
    20190926_093820.jpg
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190926_094735.jpg
    20190926_094735.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 28

seasick

Reaction score
We have all done some pretty bonehead things:) What I am unsure of is without removing the cap, how did you plug in the mast light?

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
We have all done some pretty bonehead things:) What I am unsure of is without removing the cap, how did you plug in the mast light?
It was open where the pole goes into the socket (cant see that in the pics though). I think it was from an old light (the part that screws down onto the base) because it had threads on it.
I am thinking of drilling a small pinhole through the base to put a pin/finishing nail to lock in (even with the black screwed on piece, it wobbles and puts decent stress on the electrical pins - a matter of time and my luck and they will break).

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
If it is the correct mast, it shouldn't wiggle as long as it is inserted deep enough. Make sure the mast is inserted firmly.The pins in the base are spring loaded I think but if so, may be frozen in place. Check that out.
Also check the number of pins in the base and the number in the mast. There should be three.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
If it is the correct mast, it shouldn't wiggle as long as it is inserted deep enough. Make sure the mast is inserted firmly.The pins in the base are spring loaded I think but if so, may be frozen in place. Check that out.
Also check the number of pins in the base and the number in the mast. There should be three.
I have two, one that came with boat (not sure if original) that is long but has no light shield on the bottom. This one is missing the screw on piece (which means the screw I took off the base yesterday belongs to this light - now if I can just find that black screw...)
The other light is shorter (I picked up from a member of greatgrady) but has light shield - this is the one I use to minimize glare, but is more top heavy then the other - assuming thos is not the right pole as you suggest. Ot tightens down pretty good but has an inch or two of "sway" at the top. I will give it a good run this weekend and see if it stays put.
They both have three prongs and springs on the light end (none frozen).

Attachments

• 20190927_120744.jpg
    20190927_120744.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20190927_120850.jpg
    20190927_120850.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The one without the anti-glare shield is a newer design. It shines "down" less than the other one. There is an even newer design that does a better job still at being anti-glare - it's the kind that sort of looks like the Space Needle. You could, if you wanted, just replace the head of one of your existing ones with the newest one.

seasick

Reaction score
My mast light on my 208 is no where as tall as yours. I don't know exactly how long it is. I do know that it takes a bit of force to set the stem before tightening he plastic ring. I am not familiar with that glare shield but when in nav lighting mode (not anchor mode), the lamp should not be lighted towards the rear 120 degrees. It will be All Around when in the anchor mode though.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's possible that someone disabled the white light on the stern as is just relying on the mast light for 360* all the time - or his boat doesn't have the stern light to begin with. I making this assumption since the light, as you noted Seasick, is quite tall... which would be so it is above the bimini top.

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
It's possible that someone disabled the white light on the stern as is just relying on the mast light for 360* all the time - or his boat doesn't have the stern light to begin with. I making this assumption since the light, as you noted Seasick, is quite tall... which would be so it is above the bimini top.

Correct my boat doesnt have a stern light, just the 360 mast light which is also ok per the COLREGS.

I went fishing this morning and the light (with the light shield) stayed put now that I can screw down the black piece tight, all set to go (the wobble is very small and I am. Ot concerned).
Thanks guys!

Last edited: