Adventure208 Deck Hatch Mod

langski93

Reaction score
I need better access to the bilge to replace bilge pump, and replace and rewire trim tab motor and check water pump for live well. The two round inspection hatches do not allow me to reach the pumps at all. Has anyone ever replaced the two hatches with one large rectangular inspection hatch in the floor of the motor well? It appears to be a pretty straightforward modification, but second opinions are always welcome. Good or bad? Anyone do it? Many thanks

langski93

Reaction score
Added a Tempress hatch to my 265. re-cored the plywood while I was at it.
I can get both elbows in there and see what I'm doing.
But its not the motorwell...its deck plate in front of motorwell

https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/265-mods.25902/post-157519
Thanks Skunkboat! That is exactly the concept. When I uncover the boat, I’m going to check the coring in the motor well. Besides the wash that comes in, the area is small and well drained. It’s also fairly vented from battery storage and oil storage which is on each side.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Replaced my two 6 inch splashwell hatches with two Armstrong 10 inch. Makes access oh so much easier!!

Reactions: langski93

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks Skunkboat! That is exactly the concept. When I uncover the boat, I’m going to check the coring in the motor well. Besides the wash that comes in, the area is small and well drained. It’s also fairly vented from battery storage and oil storage which is on each side.
I'm not sure I would trust the Tempress in the motorwell. It has cam locks and a gasket but thats a big hole close to the water....
I didn't even trust the beckson 6" pop outs. Changed them to screw in.

Do you have a screwed down & sealed deck plate in front of the motor well that could get you access to the bilge?

langski93

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would trust the Tempress in the motorwell. It has cam locks and a gasket but thats a big hole close to the water....
I didn't even trust the beckson 6" pop outs. Changed them to screw in.

Do you have a screwed down & sealed deck plate in front of the motor well that could get you access to the bilge?
I have an access point to the fresh water tank, which was sealed when I got it. After 9 years the curiosity got to me so I unscrewed and pealed it out. The compartment showed no sign of intrusion, so I reinstalled as was. I am not sure an opening in the back wall would give me the access I am looking for because where it breaks thru is another drop off to the bottom of the bilge and I think I would be working completely blind. Not ruling it out. I’m looking to hear from other short arm Adventure 208 owners. Thanks