Advice - 1st time buyer - 208 Adventure Style

moccq

Reaction score
Greetings,

Preparing to look over a 1994 208 Adventure with a V6 Yamaha 150 , looking for some input/advice on thinking this thru a bit. Eg. Older engine/boat which offers a better price point or perhaps look for something more recent offering newer capabilities but need to consider spending more..

I am not currently a boat owner or even a previous owner..looking at the Adventure 208 GW style mostly because the cuddy seems to be forward enough to offer enough space aft making it work functionally and budget-wise for myself and my wife, usage would be fishing and generally enjoying time on the water together.

Thanks in advance for any and all input..

- moccq

Gary M

Reaction score
We had a 1993 208 for 5 years and LOVED it! Same engine too......

You'd be wise to have the boat (based on it being 17 years old) THOROUGHLY gone through by a certified mechanic. He needs to check everything mechanical, electrical, the entire fuel system, the trailer as well as the engine.......

Engine-wise, your options would be:

1) Run the orinigal until it dies and then repower with a new 4-stroke, maybe bumping the power up to 200 hp.

2) Look for a used 4-stroke.

3) Look for a used, low hour engine that's non-4 stroke.

Keep in mind that if you change brands, it will cost a lot more for a new throttle, fuel lines, etc....

It's a great boat and should hold its value pretty well if you take care of it!

seasick

Reaction score
A survey is important. Those hulls are prone to transom issues and only a good moisture meter scan will tell for sure if there is an issue

moccq

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, great feedback..

moccq

Reaction score
Thinking more about the replies here..

A few thoughts/questions:

- It appears what I'm hearing is the need to have both a machanic and survey resources go over an older boat ? is there ever the idea that a good mechanic or surveyor could play both roles ?

- My idea was always to find a good boat/hull carcass ( if I can use that term) with solid operating systems and then re-power. Is that a pipe dream when it comes to hulls over a certain age.

- Does it make sense to think the life expectancy of a hull like the 94 Adventure could go another 10 years or more without major structural issues assuming it is well cared for. Or should I expect to slowly see major problems - eg like transom etc. creeping into the picture as each year and usage goes by..

Thanks again..hopefully someday to have the level of knowledge/experiences to give back to this forum..

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The engine may be on the lower end of needed power depending on where you use the boat. If you're going out in the ocean and bays that explode when the winds come from the "wrong" direction, as in the Chesapeake Bay, you may need to look at more power. If you're generally in calm water, enjoy it.

NJ-JOHN

Reaction score
I bought a 1990 228 and put a 2009 Honda Four on it. The boat will last as long as the engine, no doubt about it. I should mention that I looked at several 208's before buying the 228, my final decision on the 228 was influenced by a local dealer with the 228 in stock, and having the 225F in stock, and honda financing. I was skeptical about having the bigger boat because I didnt think I needed it. Long story short is that I walk by a 208 at my marina everytime I get on my boat and realize it would have been to small for what Im currently doing with the bigger boat.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i had some of the same questions when I bought my 1988 Overnighter in 1995. In my case the boat had a blown powerhead on a 150 Yamaha. Had it rebuilt as a 200 and ran it until the gear case went out. At that point I repowered with a 200 HPDI and I could not have been happier. Had problems with some blisters (stored in the water for awhile without bottom paint) but have had all that and regular stuff done. The hull still looks great after 16 years of my use.

One word of note. Hire a surveyor but be reasonable about expectations. A friend of mine has bought 2 different boats recently with 2 different surveyors. My impression is the surveyor in both cases was too busy with disclaimers and other boiler plate stuff and the actual meat of the report was diluted. if you are buying a 15 year old boat be ready for some things to need attention. The surveyor should be able to identify real problems and the estimated cost to cure.

Good luck and enjoy the new boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Call a local Yamaha dealer to have a pre-purchase evaluation done, not much to check on a 2 stroke, easy enough, namely compression, shifing, lower unit fluid. Then be sure to have all maintenance done, a waterpump, thermostat, filters, lower unit leak test. I'd drain out all the 2 stroke oil from the tank and start new with Yamalube.

Relative to the boat, the motor is not worth much because of it age, running or not. But if you are paying for a running motor make sure it runs good enough. And Yamaha was the premium motor of dealer choice back then. 150 HP is plenty for teh 20 footer since it's a V6 2 stroke.

Post where you are at for a recommedation on a boat expert to check the hull and stringers/ bulkheads / transom / etc. Or go to a local boat rebuilder and see owner, make sure he or she has grady exprience, not all boats are the same, and ask what was found wrong on past grady inspections. If the reply is nothing ever, keep looking.

Good luck and choice, no better 20 footer walkaround out there, even though everyone else has copied it.
Had a 204C for 5 yrs , a whole lot of boat in just 20 feet !

moccq

Reaction score
Greetings - thanks for all the input...did some analysis and reading and decided to look for something more recent, eg, 2001, 2002..with an HPDI etc..this could take some time to unfold..in the mean time, heading up to the Vineyard for the spring squid bite...

Cheers.