Advice-4stroke to hpdi

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
can anyone with the sailfish comment on how the boat runs with 200 hdpi's. I am looking into as an option due to issues with my f225's. any feedback is welcome.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I believe your boat would perform exactly the same.

I base this on my 265 Express with 200hp HPDI's and my buddies 265 Express w/ F225's

Nearly identical performance.

Good luck

Tim

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I have the 272 with twin 200 hp HPDI"s. It runs great and is economical. With my old OX66 200's I was getting 1.1 to 1.2 mpg. With the HPDI"s I am getting 1.7 to 1.8 mpg, with about 1/2 the oil use, and 4.5 mph faster at the same 3600 rpm cruising speed. I can keep up with the 225 hp 4 strokes with out any problems. I love my boat/ motor combination :D

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2001 282 Sailfish with twin 200 HPDI's. Great engines with plenty of "getup & go".

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I expect the same overall performance but how about the noise levels? I been told they are slightly noisier at idle but comparable at cruise. I also been reading that the 200 hpdi was yamahas best bullet proof motor.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine are absolutely awsome power for the 25 sportbridge! Take off is neck jerking so you have to hold on. Even midrange if you punch it, it will throw you back. I think they would be great on the 272!
I like the sound. Not too loud and just purr all the time.
Top speed wound out and trimmed is usually just at 48mph. 1.6 to 1.8 so far on good days. That is with very rough bottom paint which I am removing now. Hope to see a little gain in both mpg and mph.

Desperado

Reaction score
They will be louder at idle, but not like old style 2 strokes. Running noise is similiar with the HPDIs havong a better "sound" in my opinion. Yamaha 4 strokes are ultra quiet at idle, so you will notice a noise increase.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
No, the scuppers are above the waterline as long a my aft tank is empty & i do not have a full water tank. If i was to fill all tanks water & fuel, the scuppers will just be slightly below the waterline. I usually keep the main tank 2/3 full and water tank 1/2 filled and scuppers are fine.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For scuppers the Sailfish uses the copper tubes that are flared on both sides with a special flaring tool. The little flap is added after the tubes are installed. I'm sure they were sealed at the factory 13-years ago but may not be sealing as well now. If they were ever under water you might want to take a peak at 'em. Mine were bad on my Escape and I had a little bad wood around the hole. I'm replacing the scuppers on my Sailfish this Spring just for the piece of mind.

As an FYI there's a guy on here with a rig just like mine that put up a post about his buddly that has a Sailfish with 200 HPDI's. He said at the same speed the guy with the HPDI's gets appreciably better fuel economy. Don't recall reading anything about speed differences. There's a nice pair on ebay. Keep the fuel clean and they're great motors.