Advice for a 2002 Gulfstream w/single 225 4 Stroke

PopeAcid

Reaction score
Hello!

I am looking at a 2002 Grady White 232 with a Single 225 Yamaha 4 stroke. I currently have a 30' Sea Ray Weekender, so I am ok with not going very fast.
I am just worried that this Grady will not get up on a plane fully loaded with gas, people, scuba tanks, etc. Or, I would be constantly overworking the engine....

I have read the forums, but see many different answers.
Does anyone have this boat that can provide performance data?

Thanks,

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
It'll run ok with the single but I have run the boat with the 250 as well as with twins and it is a night and day difference in performance and handling. The ride is way better with twins and it is much easier to handle around the dock. If you're getting a really good deal on the single it'll be fine but if not I'd look around for one with twins. It changes the boat completely.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i had twin f200's. more than enough power, but i can't speak for a single 225.

i also can't imagine close quarter handling of that big, wide, heavy boat (in less than optimal conditions) with a single.

good luck, ron

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
i had one with an F225 -90% of the time it was fine - the only time it struggled was when we had 4-5 adults gear etc and the water was rough - yoy need to throttle in and out of troughs - other than that it was a great boat for 23 footer - never expereince the twins however I have seen some in the water with twin 200 and it looks like it sits a little low at the stern - I would think twin 150 would be a very nice setup too

PopeAcid

Reaction score
Did yours have a hard top? This one does, and from what I heard, it can slow it down.

Do you remember your cruising speed and RPM's with that Gulfstream?

How was it docking? I don't think that it is as bad as some say it is. My current boat has twin inboards and I know I am going to miss it. It may be sold in the morning!

I was just at Grady dealer here in Pompano, and they had a new Gulfstream with a Yamaha 300 on it. It seems that about half of the Gulfsteams have singles on them, so if they are selling them, I would not think it would be so bad.

At the same time, I want to be able to anchor the boat in the inlet. Sometimes you have to back up between boats while setting your anchors. I am just worried that I am going to be all over the place if there is any wind/current etc.
Thanks everyone for the replies!!!!

striped bass

Reaction score
FYI - I have seen several GW dealerships in New England with an F350 on the Gulfstreams in their showrooms. That should tell you something.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The F225 is a 6000 RPM machine - Initially I was not getting the RPMs and the dealer changed the prop and then it would get to 6000 at least early in the season while the bottom was clean - the speed If I recall was around 38 MPH with a couple of people-

The boat does not like to back up , however, eventually you figure it out - I had a very tough corener slip and I managed for years. I recall the dealer telling me he prefers the twins on the boat, however, the vast majority of what they sold were single engine rigs.
Good Luck

lgusto

Reaction score
I love my Gulfstream but it is a chore running it with a single. The right prop makes all the difference in getting on plane with a load, but the high RPMs needed to run the boat at speed and the sluggish close quarters handling seem to defy solution. Yes, you can make anything work but it's a chore. For example, trimming the engine up until the prop is almost grabbing air helps operating astern since the prop wash is pushed under the boat instead of being deflected against the transom.

My boat has a hard top, often with the curtains deployed, and bottom paint. The 2005 F250 came from Grady propped with a 17 pitch but now runs much better with a 15 pitch. As a side note I see that the new Gulfstream/F250 combination comes with a 15 pitch.

I often run with a full load - four to six five full size men, full fuel, full ice, full live well, gear, etc. The new prop brings her up on plane just fine but the engine works hard all day, around 5,000 RPMs to maintain 25-30 knots.

Must be fun to run the Gulfstream with twins....but I actually think the new 300 would be great too.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Echo what Fishermanabb said earlier.

My biggest concern would be running the mil at 5000 RPM's or close to it all the time to maintain cruise.

Other than that just hope for calm winds and negligable currents while docking or anchoring.

I have a 2007 232 with twin 200 4-strokes and I wouldn't want the boat with a single, but that's just me.

Legend is correct, the stern sits a little low, puts the scuppers almost under, but it doesn't matter. It drains fine and the performance is great.

Good luck either way..Let us know what you decide!

mjmwelder

Reaction score
I have that exact boat,2002 hull & motor.I purchases the boat from the original owners 2 years ago.The boat was in flawless condition,the motor had 289hrs.I was aware of the complains about the way the boat handles around the dock,and to tell you the truth I never had any problems as long as you alllow for the wind & current.I had the motor checked for the corrision problem on the exhaust manifold and everything appeared fine.As far as performance specs,I changed the prop to a 4 blade to get more off a hole shot,but you do have to push the throttle up to 4800 - 5000 rpms to get any speed.I"m now approach 400 hrs on the motor and all is well.Feel free to e-mail if you have any more questions.
Mike

PopeAcid

Reaction score
Legend said:
The F225 is a 6000 RPM machine - Initially I was not getting the RPMs and the dealer changed the prop and then it would get to 6000 at least early in the season while the bottom was clean - the speed If I recall was around 38 MPH with a couple of people-

The boat does not like to back up , however, eventually you figure it out - I had a very tough corener slip and I managed for years. I recall the dealer telling me he prefers the twins on the boat, however, the vast majority of what they sold were single engine rigs.
Good Luck

Well, 38 MPH sounds fine.. Where I boat, the speed limit in the Intracoastal is 25 MPH, and only on flat days can you do much more than that in the ocean, especially with a complaining wife and kids!

I just want to make sure that I can get up on a plane and cruise at least 25 MPH full of gas, gear, people, etc.
I know that a typical 2 stroke outboard can be run wide open for a long time, but is that the same for the 4 strokes?

Many thanks!!!!

Jim

PopeAcid

Reaction score
mjmwelder said:
I have that exact boat,2002 hull & motor.I purchases the boat from the original owners 2 years ago.The boat was in flawless condition,the motor had 289hrs.I was aware of the complains about the way the boat handles around the dock,and to tell you the truth I never had any problems as long as you alllow for the wind & current.I had the motor checked for the corrision problem on the exhaust manifold and everything appeared fine.As far as performance specs,I changed the prop to a 4 blade to get more off a hole shot,but you do have to push the throttle up to 4800 - 5000 rpms to get any speed.I"m now approach 400 hrs on the motor and all is well.Feel free to e-mail if you have any more questions.
Mike

Thanks, Mike. How fast are you going at 5000 rpms and what kind of load?

So changing to a 4 blade helped getting on a plane... Did you lose any top end speed? In any case, the 4 blade seems like the way to go....

Thanks everyone for all the help.
Jim

lgusto

Reaction score
I used to think that a four blade prop would be correct for this boat and motor. But the "prop god" (http://www.propgods.com) in Sarasota spent a lot of time on the phone with me analyzing my boat, usage and needs. He's the guy who convinced me to try a three blade 15 pitch and had lots of experienced-based reasons not to go with a four blade, mostly because of top end and fuel considerations. I recommend that anyone considering a prop change talk to him first. I have no affiliation with these guys.

willymas11

Reaction score
Has anyone tried going with less than a 15 pitch? I'm running the original 15.25 x 17 on a 2003, hardtop w/ curtains + bottom paint, and we're noticing that top end is at roughly 5100 rpm at 32 mph with a clean bottom.