advice for powering the Tournament 275

new2GW

Reaction score
Dear Gang,

We're new to this forum, though we've been perusing it for some time. For the past year or so, we've been looking at boats and trying to decide which type (as well as which brand) best fits our family. Though there aren't many seafaring dual-consoles in our area (we see more CC boats around the Gulf Coast), we've gradually come to the conclusion that a dual-console best fits our family's needs. As we want to do some off-shore fishing with the boat in addition to using it as a cruiser around the bays, we've been particularly attracted to the dual-consoles that GW offers - especially the Tournament 275.

Here are our newbie questions for the group regarding this particular boat and it's engine choices:
Why isn't there much mention of using Yamaha 250s on this boat? How would the upcoming, fly-by-wire Yamaha 250s compare to the single 350 in terms of fuel usage / economy (obviously, the dual engine scheme will burn more fuel, but is there a big practical difference in this department)? Also, for those owners of Tournament 275s with a single 350 hanging off the back, does it look OK having a single engine on such a large transom?

TIA for your help,
new2GW

P.S. Yes, we do realize that there is a hurricane headed toward our locale and looking at new boats might seem nonsensical at the particular moment in time, but maybe there's a little escapism involved in our pondering a new boat.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
To your first question regarding the performance of the 275 with twin 250's. Go to the GW site and look at the performance of the Chase 273 with twin 250's. This, as I understand it is the same hull as the 275 and the weight is more or less comparable. I went through the same machinations as you are going through last year when I purchased my 275. In the final analysis it came down to this. If you are going to go with twins go 250's as the incremental performance increase of twin 200's or 225's over that of the twin 150's is in my opinion not worth the money. Print out and compare all of the performance options from the 273 and 275. Look in particular at both boats with twin 150's and you will see that they are almost the same. If $$ are no object do the twin 250's they have variable rate valve timing and the new fly by wire controls and will make the boat a 50 mph + boat.

If $$ are a concern you are down to the twin 150's or the 350. I have the 350. My reason for purchasing the single over the twins was simple.
1) I don't want to deal with two engines if I do not have to.
2) Performance was less on the 150's
3) Cost of the 150's was $3,000 more
4) I do not go off-shore more the 25 mile and mostly stay inshore so the redundant power argument did not hold water with me.
5) The maneuvering increase at the dock was not that important to me at the time.

In retrospect I still believe all but number 5. This boat takes getting use to at low speeds while docking with a single, twins would help this. However, that said with the reduced center line between engines due to the 8'6" beam I am not sure of how much. After a summer on the boat my docking has improved considerably and I would not change my power selection if I had it to do over again based on this issue.

As for gas consumption, I find the GW performance number to be 8-10% overly optimistic. My boat has never approached 2.39 MPG or 50 mph ever. WOT is 46 mph with a full tank two people and gear. Best MPG is 2.2 well trimmed at 28-31 mph.

As for the appearance of the boat with the F350 hanging off the back, to me it looks like the boat was designed for the engine. See the attached photos.

If you are seriously considering this boat PM me for some small detailed information that you should know before you pull the trigger. In closing if I had my decision to do over again after one year with the boat I would do it again in a heartbeat. FYI, I am not a dyed in the wool GW guy I was a loyal Pursuit owner up until this boat. Great Great boat. I will snap some new photos of the boat today with better angles and post tomorrow.

IMG_2510-l-copy.jpg

IMG_2511-l-copy.jpg

IMG_2512-l-copy.jpg

new2GW

Reaction score
Tashmoo,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I've followed your posts on this forum (or maybe it was on THT forum) and watched you make the 350 decision. Your boat is truly beautiful - for some reason, the pics showed up larger for me than when you've put them in prior posts (maybe it simply me using a larger monitor).

I've listened to the complaints from you and others regarding some of the issues with the Yamaha 350 at rest (no one complains about how it works when underway or in motion). It sounds like it's hard to lift the engine completely out of the water on the Tournament 275 as well as a lot of other boats (including non-GW boats). Whether this and the scuppers being more underwater on some boats is a cosmetic issue or a functional issue seems to be debatable.

I am seriously considering this boat and I will PM you after we get through this storm. Also, please post the other photos that you mentioned - I'd love to see them.

Getting back to the dual power options, do you happen to know if the two 150s and 250s will lift completely out of the water? Also, not trying to open a "can of worms", but how did you reconcile in the fact that you optioned for the boat with wood in the transom and stringer?

TIA,
new2GW

chrisA.

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Too bad you can't order the boat without power,then you would have many more choices,,,,,,,

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
2002 Islander 270. Same hull.

Purchased new with single 250HP OX66. Had 465hrs when we repowered in Nov 2005 (needed more range on the installed 150-gal tank). Went with twin F150s as the only 300HP single was the Yamaha HPDI and the Suzuki.

Now have 660hrs on the twins. Heavily loaded for offshore, curtains up, we get a 26-27kt cruise at 1.6+nm/gal, and a WOT speed of 36+kts.

A member of our Tidewater Grady-White Club has a new 275 with twin F250s. His top speed is 54MPH.

As to maneuvering, I can spin our boat in complete circles on a spot, in either direction, with the wind blowing.

Brian

Tashmoo

Reaction score
New photos. Relative to the water line the boat has 125 gals of fuel and about 10 gallons of water plus gear.

IMG_3955l-copy.jpg

IMG_3954l-copy.jpg

IMG_3952l-copy.jpg

IMG_3950l-copy.jpg

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bought the 275 with 350

I'm real pleased with the purchase of my grady tournament 275 with the 350 yamaha. Great performance. I wanted something that would be a great family boat, and also be able to fish some.

In the 3 months since I bought it, I'm now into fishing. Been out over 30 miles. My dealer said most motor failures are the result of bad gas, and if you have two, they both will stop. So for me, having two engines means twice the fuel use, and it's slower a bit due to the drag.

I've added rod holders on the hardtop, and when it goes in for the 100 hour service, will probably put some kind of outriggers on it.

My wife and daughter love the fill in cushion for the front, but it's a pain in the but to put it in. Very heavy!

BTW, went with the garmin 5212, which I love, and the furuno autopilot, which is great for trolling! And the 200 gal tank, means you can run a long time before refilling.

Also, I have no problem with the engine being in the water. With the hardtop, the light is on the top. My engine tips far enough forward so that the skeg is completely out of the water.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Prodiver

Your skeg comes completely out of the water with no transom light bracket? My dealer told me that was not possible. Would you kindly post or PM me a photo of your engine completely up and out of the water so that I may discuss this with my dealer.

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Will post pic Tashmoo

As soon as I get back to Wrightsville. Maybe soon with the storm coming.

Yes, it is completely out of the water. But have to be careful when it is fully up. When opening the large fish box, the edge of the cover will hit the engine. Also, if the engine is not completely centered, it could possibly hit the hinge on the fish box, causing a nick on the engine cover.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Re: Bought the 275 with 350

prodiver said:
So for me, having two engines means twice the fuel use...

The amount of fuel used is basically determined by the amount of HP being generated and the efficiency of the engine(s).

Two F150s at cruise, putting out 200HP total, will NOT burn twice the fuel of a single 300 or 350HP engine, putting out the same 200HP.

While the "bad fuel" issue your dealer noted is certainly true, there are many other factors in making the choice between a big single and a set of twins. Total blade surface area in rough seas, lower unit damage due to hitting something, a spun prop, etc.

We bought our Islander new with a single 250HP OX66 and repowered to twin F150s after 465hrs. It is a different boat with the twins, and we now have 660hrs on them. We burn the same GPH at WOT with the twins - at 37knots - as we burned with the OX66 - at 30.5kts.

Congrats on the beautiful 275. Now put a hardtop on it, so you have a place for your outriggers... :D

Brian

Tashmoo

Reaction score
ocnslr,

By examining your posting photo you can still fit two more rods on your boat what's going on??? Are they filled yet :lol:

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
350 yamaha tilt

Tashmoo:
Here is a link to see pics of my 350 yamaha. It goes in today for 100 hr service. Tried for 30 minutes to add them, and just gave up!

I'm going to ask them to change the tilt slightly so I can open the fish box door fully without impacting the engine cover. I tried to set it right, and it can be done, with the skeg still out of the water.

I'm adding a couple of outriggers while it's in dry dock.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Prodiver/

good luck!

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
pics of 350 tilt

I see that the link doesn't work.

Anyone want the pics, send me your email.

Anyone know an easy way to post pics?

Bill

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Tashmoo said:
ocnslr,

By examining your posting photo you can still fit two more rods on your boat what's going on??? Are they filled yet :lol:

That photo was taken last year at the fuel dock at a local marina. We had been offshore for a combined trolling and deep-dropping trip, and had simply stuck all the rods in holders to make a high-speed run back in. We needed to get in before the weigh station closed, as we had two citation blueline tilefish to register.

We currently have 17 rod holders topside. That doesn't include the ten (10) under the custom hardtop, or the two in the cabin.

Oh, I refer to this photo as the "porcupine shot".

Brian

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ocnsir is right..
My twin 200 4-strokes on my Gulfstream gets slightly better mileage than my single 250 on my old Seafarer.
You never say never, but I don't ever plan on going back to a single....