Advice for transducer - Marlin

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i bought a new to me 03 Marlin last year.

I was suprised ( after the boat was in the water ) to learn that the original owner had installed a tansom mounted transducer instead of a thru hull.

The boat has a Furuno FC-582L sounder and a Nav Net 1 that are in working order. The budget will not support an electronics upgrade fro quite some time.

Based on my recent conversation with a trusted electronics vendor at the boat show it was recommended that I install an airmar B-60 20 degree. It was suggested that this set up would get me great results and that the 582 sounder with this transducer would get me excellent results comperable with many sounders that are available today.

naturally this sounded great to me, but i am also intersted in other opinions on this.

also, i was suprised to hear that he recommended against installing this in the hull flat spots intended for transducer. He said that this was due to the turbulance that was casued by this.

Does anyone have thoughts on this comment? If so, does anyone have any refernce measurements that they can share? It's been too cold for me to start investigating this yet, but plan to in the next couple of weeks. my boat has a generator, so i expect that it will be a bit cozy in there.

Any help / comments are much appreciated.

thanks

kingfisher 77

Reaction score
Mike,

Sounds to me like you talked to John at Voyager !I was in a similar situation with the same boat two years ago.He hooked me up with the Airmar low profile tilted element through hull(600W 20').I mounted it outboard of the transducer pocket,halfway between the lifting strake and pocket.With Lowrance LCX's it works like a dream !Holds bottom with no interference at 27 knots.
If you didn't talk to voyager,you should.He's helped me with two boats now and He's the real deal.

Good luck,Chris

Technologydriven

Reaction score
Mike,
Ditto on Voyager Marine, they have years and years of experience. I am about to have Voyager eye ball then hopefully install a B164 (1KW, 20 degree) in a '01 282 Sailfish about to be new to me.

If there is insufficient clearance (B164 is 3-3/4" round hull penetration, 5-3/8" overall) I will fall back to a B60 which I have had in a previous boat connected to a E80. If money is not an issue, the SS264N is a pair of 1KW transducers (50kHz and 200kHz), full specs at the following:

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads ... ss264n.pdf

Boat Hound

Reaction score
I just went to the show and spoke with a couple people as well. A few suggested the b60, but I ended up with the b164 after someone mentioned "do it once". From what I was told there are no issues with the b60, but the 164 offers a little more down the road and with the mix and match connector, you can hook up to other machines later on. I just got mine today, and yikes it is big!

SeaSaw

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Technologydriven said:
Mike,
Ditto on Voyager Marine, they have years and years of experience. I am about to have Voyager eye ball then hopefully install a B164 (1KW, 20 degree) in a '01 282 Sailfish about to be new to me.

If there is insufficient clearance (B164 is 3-3/4" round hull penetration, 5-3/8" overall) I will fall back to a B60 which I have had in a previous boat connected to a E80. If money is not an issue, the SS264N is a pair of 1KW transducers (50kHz and 200kHz), full specs at the following:

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads ... ss264n.pdf

I am interested in this pair for my 366 but the varing dead rise angle appears to be greater than 20 degrees, where on the hull is less than 20 degrees deadrise?? Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
I ran a B60 with Raymarine on a sailfish in the transducer flat area no problems at all. I have a shoot thru on the marlin B260 with Raymarine gear and it never looses bottom.

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Belated thanks for the advice. Yes, the recommendation came from voyager, they were very helpful when I talked to them at the boat show.

I went with the b60 and installed it yesterday. All went well. I ended up going in board of the pocket, closer to the kel due to how tight the bilge is due to the generator.

Will find out sometime next week how it works when we get in the water.

Forgive what might be a silly question, but the directions refre to bottom painting exposed surfaces. Does this mean I paint right over the whole thing, or is that meant to mean the ring of exposed brass that surrounds the "lens"?

This is my first time with a thru hull transducer, I have only had stern mount previously.

Thanks for the help

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What kind of "bottom paint" are you refering to. You dont want to use regular bottom paint.

Sea Hawk has a tranducer paint that is recommended by airmar. It's a water based paint and you paint it on every part of the transducer.