Advice? Going to check out this Tournament 192

erusk

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
In the market for purchasing a Tournament 192. I came across this listing and I’m going to check it out this week.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the posting? They’re asking 15,500 for it

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Pictures look fairly clean, not that it matters much. Have a critical eye when you inspect. Start with the bilge, transom, and motor mount bolts for any signs of significant wear/delamination/core rot. Ask about degree of engine maintenance. Check compression of cylinders if possible. Ask if the fuel tank has been inspected or replaced at all - if not it’s over 20 years and likely due for replacement within a few years. If you break down the price, the engine with its years is not worth too much anymore, maybe $3-4k? Trailer has some newer parts, again maybe $3-4k? Leaving the hull and misc gear to get to $15k asking. Definitely do a water trial if possible. Consider if a survey would be helpful to you - may help 1) in terms of identifying potential issues and 2) providing you some negotiating power.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That boat has been on Craigslist for the past year and a half. In my opinion it is underpowered.
This right here is enough for me to give it a very critical eye, if not a total pass. A year and a half is a very long time to have it listed and not sell, especially this past year or so with low inventory. Be very careful as pictures can hide issues.

Reactions: erusk

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One thing I'd note about the power - it all depends on what you want to do with it. My parents have an identical boat with a 150HP on it. And I gotta say - that is MORE than enough power. It gets used in inland coastal waters and close-by offshore in Maine - we also pull the kids on tubes and skis. In my opinion, if we had a 135HP on it, we would be very happy. More HP is never bad, but again, it depends on YOU and how you'll use it.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
price seems high.
underpowered. needs repower.
23 yr old evinrude 2 stroke is worth $0 to a buyer.
its a liability not an asset.

$15K for a 22 year old 19 footer that needs repower is very high
No hardtop. No enclosure.
Minimal elctronics.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
I have the same boat (2001) with a 150 HPDI motor and I love the boat and the power is absolutely fine (around 40 mph wide open)... not sure how much more power there is in the 150 compared to that 130. I'd also be concerned about how long it's been listed, but I wouldn't necessarily write it off. If compression is good, fuel tank, etc. it is a great boat. I couldn't be happier with mine (I also put $3K into new cushions a few years ago so my boat looks pristine).

TonyD

Reaction score
One thing I'd note about the power - it all depends on what you want to do with it. My parents have an identical boat with a 150HP on it. And I gotta say - that is MORE than enough power. It gets used in inland coastal waters and close-by offshore in Maine - we also pull the kids on tubes and skis. In my opinion, if we had a 135HP on it, we would be very happy. More HP is never bad, but again, it depends on YOU and how you'll use it.
Agreed. I have the same boat but a 1989, I have a 150 4 stroke on it. I use the boat mostly on a lake and it's more than enough HP. I also go down to the shore and used inland, a little on the outside on a real good day but along the beach and it serves me well.

BUT I have a feeling that Evinrude 2 stroke will cause more than a headache, I am guessing you'll need to re-power or rebuild this one in short order. Like was mentioned here already, 15k is on the high end for this boat, IMO.

TonyD

Reaction score
I have the same boat (2001) with a 150 HPDI motor and I love the boat and the power is absolutely fine (around 40 mph wide open)... not sure how much more power there is in the 150 compared to that 130. I'd also be concerned about how long it's been listed, but I wouldn't necessarily write it off. If compression is good, fuel tank, etc. it is a great boat. I couldn't be happier with mine (I also put $3K into new cushions a few years ago so my boat looks pristine).
40mph? Wow.. I've never hit 40 with my 150 4 stroke on my '89 Tournament. I think I pushed and hit 37 on the lake that was like glass one morning.

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
It's 21 years old! Don't forget that. I had a 190 Tournament I sold a few years ago with a 150 Yam for $9500.00. $15K is just a dreamer's price, especially with a 130 hp and a poly tank. Original tanks were metal. $9000 would be more reasonable price.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's 21 years old! Don't forget that. I had a 190 Tournament I sold a few years ago with a 150 Yam for $9500.00. $15K is just a dreamer's price, especially with a 130 hp and a poly tank. Original tanks were metal. $9000 would be more reasonable price.
The market right now is crazy (still). Truthfully, $15K is all that far off, all things considered - especially as it looks cared for (from the pics, anyways). Bonus points if the transom is solid! The motor may be quite good, still - 2-strokes can run pretty much forever if cared for... but still, there's not a whole lot of value to it in terms of "dollars". The value would be that it's (assuming) a reliable motor for cheap.

FYI, poly tanks are fantastic to have AND it should be the original. The original tanks were NOT aluminum.

MashpeeMan

Reaction score
40mph? Wow.. I've never hit 40 with my 150 4 stroke on my '89 Tournament. I think I pushed and hit 37 on the lake that was like glass one morning.
I've done it a few times with this boat... maybe it's been with just me on-board (no additional passenger weight) and maybe it's because the HPDI 2 stroke is a little bit lighter than your 4 stroke? Or the newer (Seavee) hull. Not sure, but I do know that I was trimmed up and that speed was noted from the GPS.

wires38

Reaction score
I think the hull is rated up to 200hp.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The hull is rated to a maximum of 200hp per the Grady White website. That being said, it also says the weight without the engine is 2,075lbs and if you figure in the engine weight I'd say it's probably close to 2,500lbs or so. I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison but I had a 21' Arima with a Honda 130hp 4 stroke on it and weighed over 3k lbs yet would still get up to 35+ mph with that motor. Unless you really want to go north of 40 mph, I don't see the "need" to have a bigger motor if you don't have to have it. I think the seller is definitely a couple thousand dollars higher than what the boat is worth but there are "similar" boats out there that are similarly priced. Like the one I'll link below, even though I think it has a better motor, and it definitely has a nicer trailer.

To the OP, I always recommend having a buddy, family member or friend that knows a bit about boats to come look it over with you, at the very minimum. I always recommend to anyone buying a boat, and generally always do so myself, to pay a surveyor to come out and inspect it with you, especially if you don't have a friend or family member to do so or you don't know enough about boats yourself. A decent surveyor will cost between $500-1,000 but they can tell you if there's any damage, water intrusion to the hull, they can do a compression check on the motor and do a sea trial run with you if you put an offer down on the boat. I personally always try to get one with any boat purchase that I do as it makes for much better peace of mind when purchasing something. And oftentimes you'll have stars in your eyes and not see what could be some pretty serious issues that the surveyor will definitely notice and pick up on. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

erusk

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Thanks guys, I bought this Grady white today. I took everything that was pointed out into consideration. Went with my Dad and Uncle who have good experience with boats. Asked all the questions, hull looked good, engine started right up with good and equal compression across all cylinders. Came down on the price and now I have my first Grady White :cool:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks guys, I bought this Grady white today. I took everything that was pointed out into consideration. Went with my Dad and Uncle who have good experience with boats. Asked all the questions, hull looked good, engine started right up with good and equal compression across all cylinders. Came down on the price and now I have my first Grady White :cool:
Congrats on the purchase and being a Grady White owner! Post some pictures when you get a chance!

HTHM

Reaction score
You bought the one in the first posting or the one in # 16 that @Mustang65fbk pointed out?
Congrats I hope to join the club soon.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You bought the one in the first posting or the one in # 16 that @Mustang65fbk pointed out?
Congrats I hope to join the club soon.
I believe it's the first one he linked, especially with him being in Boston and that boat being in Long Island, NY. The one I linked, I believe was located in North Carolina.