Advice - Leaning towards a Tournament/Freedom 225

casco

Reaction score
Hi -

We just bought a house on an island in Casco Bay, off the coast of Portland Maine. We will be there in the summer and are now on the hunt for a used boat.

The first question I have before I get into more specific questions about the various model years is, if this is the right Grady White for me to be homing in on.

The boat would be used to run between the various islands in the bay and also Portland. No plans to go into open ocean or leave the bay. However, the bay get can rough and also turn quickly.

This will be primarily a family boat, so a dual console with the open front and then the ability to close off the walk through if it is getting cold is appealing. I think the GW has a high enough freeboard that people won't get wet up front? I don't see for us any utility in having a closed in bow.. Zero plans to overnight, most of my family would get sea sick down there, so it seems like wasted space for us.

It will usually have 4 people in it.. But, if a family visits us.. it will sure be tempting to sometimes have 8 people.. But not sure that is possible or safe in a 225?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of seating in the back, if you need to close off the front because it is getting cold.. Which is a concern, but maybe everyone just stands in that case?

Any advice is appreciated. And let me know if I am terrible off track with the dual console GW?

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
People standing not too comfortable or safe, and in a 225 nowhere to hold on to while standing. Bimini top not good for handholds. I just ordered a couple of high back bean bags for cruising days.

Coastboater

Reaction score
Here’s a 225 I owned a few boats ago. Don’t remember the exact year it was, 2016-2017 I would guess. The bracket offers more cockpit room for a 22’ boat. As to the layout accommodating 8 people, I think the boat was rated for that or more but how comfortable they are is a different question. If you have kids and adults you can fit a Couple kids and an adult in the bow. If you lay down the port lounger it forms an “L” shaped seating area with the rear folding seat down. There’s also room behind the helm chair for a bean bag or cooler with cushion top.
As to handling inshore conditions it’s plenty capable. SV2 hull. As to fun, with the F300 it would just touch 50 mph light. Nice size head for its class and a great family boat.IMG_0573.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter A

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you're wanting to go with a dual console style of Grady White then I'd also maybe consider the 235 Freedom? It's going to be a slightly bigger boat with a wider beam than the 225 Freedom, 8'6" vs 8' and should give for a better ride quality as well as a little more space for people onboard. It also has a dry weight of about 500 lbs more, which will also help the ride quality when in less than favorable conditions. I think your best bet would be to look for your local GW dealer, see if they have either boat in question in their showroom and then go step foot on them to see how they feel. I think 8 people in the 225 Freedom is going to be a bit of a tight squeeze, especially with the seating and layout configuration. That being said, on my 228 Seafarer, I think it's designed a bit better with the cockpit configuration as you've got the captain and passenger seats as well as the small jump seats right behind them facing rearward. Then you've got two in the back, one on either side of the livewell. So, you've already got seating for 6 people right there, even more if you have kids sitting on parent's laps, etc. You can always have a person or two sitting on the gunwale, standing up which is how I prefer to travel when cruising on a boat, or if people want to go up and sit on the bow then I've got bow cushions they can sit on as well. Given the conditions, I think you'll have some times where you're going to take some water over the bow and possibly even over the windshield as well? I've had a few times where the waves and the wind would push some spray over the bow, but haven't had it come over the windshield or windows yet. The 228 Seafarer being a walkaround style of boat and having the cabin is really nice for added protection from the elements, especially nice is having the hardtop to keep the rain off of you. I love having it because I can put all of my fishing gear in there as well as have a place to overnight if I ever wanted to do that, though it sounds like you won't really be doing either of those things. I don't think you're too terribly far off or anything, I'd honestly just do what I mentioned above and step foot on the boats you're considering to get an idea of how you think they'll work for your intended application and boating requirements. You may even get lucky to where a forum member might live nearby with a similar boat that you could look at or step on as well. Good luck with your search!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Also, you could go with an older 205 Freedom/Tournament, which has the seating configuration similar to my 228 Seafarer where it has the two seats in the rear. That way you'll be able to seat 5 people in the cockpit/helm area and hopefully 2-3 up front in the bow. Although, potentially 8 larger or full sized adults on a 20' boat and being comfortable might be a different story.

casco

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and information - this community is very welcoming!

I had a couple of clarifications follow up questions based on replies.

When I said 8 people, this would be a situation with 2 families with kids. So not 8 adults. I would think we would split it so usually some people are on the bow.. But if things turn then everyone can come back and get some protection.

I didn't realize that when you folded that second seat down you could create a nice L arrangement. That should be very helpful with seating. I do like the layout better on the 205 with the seats on either side of the transom. But I worry that the 205 won't be enough boat for Casco bay.. I have had the weather turn on me pretty quickly out on the bay and I would be concerned.

My understanding is that the freeboard is high enough on the GW 225 that the people on the bow won't get overly wet with spray? Is that correct? We don't ever intend to overnight in the cabin or do anything like that so it would seem like wasted space for us to have an enclosed cabin.

Based on my budget I am probably looking somewhere in the 2008 range for either of this. I do like the suggestion for the 235 - but the prices I have seen on the 235 are significantly higher than the 225 which puts it out of the reach of my budget.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

billyttpd

Reaction score
a 225 with back to bck seats port and starboard sounds like it would suit your needs best. a

NORTONP

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
I have a 225 dual console, I love it, it is a perfect boat for Boston harbor and probably Casco bay also. The dual console offers a good comprimise between a center console and walk around, great for fishing or day cruising. The Grady does a good job of deflecting waves and has plenty of freeboard, but when you get a stiff wind you do get some spray on the bow seats. I have had the boat in 4 to 6' following seas ( that you might encounter off shore) and the boat hands it well, not sure that I do though. I have had 8 people in it, the cockpit is little crowded but doable if not using bow seating. I added grab bar in passage way that helps going forward. I typically have three standing at the windshield all day. 1 or two on the aft seat and 2 on the lounge seat. The kids like to ride up front regardless of the weather.