Advice Needed: 330 Battery Set-Up

HMBJack

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a 2006 330 Express. Love the boat however I'm concerned about how the batteries were set-up at the factory by Grady. There are 4 G27 batteries. Two banks of two with each pair paralleled. Problem is, from what I can tell from the wiring drawing (page 8-24 of my owner's manual)- each bank starts an engine AND supports the house circuit.

Bank 1 (2 G27's) Starts the Starboard Engine, Genset + feeds the Main House circuit via a 2 Gauge cable.
Bank 2 (2 G27's) Starts the Port Engine + feeds the Windlass and, not sure, but maybe the Bow thruster too.

For obvious reasons, I would prefer to NOT have a house circuit connected to an engine.
Should I leave it "as is" or separate the house from the engine start batteries somehow.
I guess I could install a Blue Seas battery isolator to preserve the Start battery (on Bank #1) from the House load or perhaps install a voltmeter to keep an eye on Bank #1's draw and, if below 12.0 volts, I could fire up the Genset which will charge the batteries. It just seems to me this battery set-up is not optimal or - in my case - not "Idiot Proof" (lol).

Thoughts?

HMBJack

Reaction score
Has anyone re-configured their batteries on a 330?

I do not like the current set-up where a house battery is connected to an engine.
Anyone else have this concern? And do anything about it?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you do a search on this topic you should bring up a number of threads. Some guys even posted their wiring diagrams after rewiring a house bank. The 330 isn't unique... all of the 4 battery Grady's are wired the same way and most owners have complained about not having a dedicated house bank. I've had my Marlin since 8/2005 and I am just now starting to replace my original batteries... but only to be safe... they still take a full charge and I've never had a starting problem even after anchoring out for 2 or 3 nights... but I will run the motors periodically when anchored to get the charge back up.

Fish Tank

Reaction score
Set up something (if you have the room) where the genset has it's own battery. Even if you run down the start batteries, fire up the genset and drop a line. Only once have I had to run the genset to charge the start batteries and thats after a few days at anchor with lots of 12v load (454's need a good amout of battery to get them going).

Jeff Mauro

Reaction score
The Battery configuration as you stated is correct. Given that you are carrying 4 good baterries you never have a problem. You would not use the windlass or thruster unless the engines were running. This leaves the port engines batteries 100% ready for starting only. Once port is started, you can configure battery switches to start SB engine if you ran the (house) batteries dowm. During the boating season i have a have a portable jumper on board my 330 as a fail safe. I stow it under the min-berth. Here is an example http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-500-amp-Battery ... 2561d01a4e Plug it in after use or every six months to keep a full charge. This one even has a inflator should you need one.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Thank-you. I'll do some more research on this. If I didn't have the genset, I'd be more worried.