Advice needed on new curtains for Grady

abielecki

Reaction score
1995 Grady Islander with a hard top in NJ (Boat currently in LBI).

Who to use in NJ (as for a fabricator/installer) and what material for canvas and the clear vinyl.
Also and input on configuration like single pannels on the sides vs two and "smiley" face zippers sections on front and side curains, etc.

Any and all inputs greatly appreciated.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I just had curtains made for a 2007 330. It was less than $2K and there is a lot of curtain on a 330. I opted for smiley's so I could roll them up and down easily and quickly. I don't have to get outside to do that and with the weather in FL it allows us to stay in the helm area and be cool until the rain comes. I used A & J in NC. They do all of Grady's OEM canvas and have done so for years. I actually went to their shop and left my old canvas so they could make certain it matched. They roll it for shipment if you can't get by their place. Apparently there were some minor modifications made to the standard patterns at the factory. They needed my hull number to pull the proper pattern. I specified Strataglass (upgrade from OEM) and sunbrella instead of the OEM material (stamoid). The glass is thicker and has better reviews. It's new and is stiffer and looks great with crystal clear visibility. Of course my comparison is the old original eisenglas. It seems that the sunbrella is thicker and will hold the stitching better, although it's not quite as pretty in my opinion. The stamoid is very nice looking when its new, but based on my experince with my other boat which has sunbrella, it will be more durable in the long run. Many colors are available. They have the patterns for many older models. They loaned me the snap and lift-the-dot installation tools and they provide all of the stainless hardware. Installing it only required that I hang it and install the snaps and lift-the-dots to match the existing boat installed fasteners. It was a bit of work stretching it, but it came out great. I had several questions during the process and they put me in touch with their man who installs at the factory and he had several good tips. Bottom line, I'm happy and their customer service was great! Their number (252) 244-1509.

abielecki

Reaction score
Hi Bill - Thanks for the valuable info, I called them today.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The sunbrella (sp?) last forever I can say it seems indestrucbale but can be melted so watch cigarettes.

As far as windows do, if you never open the ones on the side don't bother, as to the front it's up to you same. Time we spend at the dock hanging on hot days I open up the front window, but not the sides, but with others it varies. The sides used to be two panels but I believe they changed to a large smiley face in one panel. You can do without either just make it solid.

The added zippers do take from the view perhaps more noticable on the smaller boats.
Next time I do the front windows, only doing the smiley face on port side.

abielecki

Reaction score
wspitler said:
I just had curtains made for a 2007 330. It was less than $2K and there is a lot of curtain on a 330. I opted for smiley's so I could roll them up and down easily and quickly. I don't have to get outside to do that and with the weather in FL it allows us to stay in the helm area and be cool until the rain comes. I used A & J in NC. They do all of Grady's OEM canvas and have done so for years. I actually went to their shop and left my old canvas so they could make certain it matched. They roll it for shipment if you can't get by their place. Apparently there were some minor modifications made to the standard patterns at the factory. They needed my hull number to pull the proper pattern. I specified Strataglass (upgrade from OEM) and sunbrella instead of the OEM material (stamoid). The glass is thicker and has better reviews. It's new and is stiffer and looks great with crystal clear visibility. Of course my comparison is the old original eisenglas. It seems that the sunbrella is thicker and will hold the stitching better, although it's not quite as pretty in my opinion. The stamoid is very nice looking when its new, but based on my experince with my other boat which has sunbrella, it will be more durable in the long run. Many colors are available. They have the patterns for many older models. They loaned me the snap and lift-the-dot installation tools and they provide all of the stainless hardware. Installing it only required that I hang it and install the snaps and lift-the-dots to match the existing boat installed fasteners. It was a bit of work stretching it, but it came out great. I had several questions during the process and they put me in touch with their man who installs at the factory and he had several good tips. Bottom line, I'm happy and their customer service was great! Their number (252) 244-1509.

Bill what color sunbrella dd you go with? The stamoid they are using for factory Grady's is a cream color whereas the sunbrella is an oyster?

abielecki

Reaction score
BobP said:
The sunbrella (sp?) last forever I can say it seems indestrucbale but can be melted so watch cigarettes.

As far as windows do, if you never open the ones on the side don't bother, as to the front it's up to you same. Time we spend at the dock hanging on hot days I open up the front window, but not the sides, but with others it varies. The sides used to be two panels but I believe they changed to a large smiley face in one panel. You can do without either just make it solid.

The added zippers do take from the view perhaps more noticable on the smaller boats.
Next time I do the front windows, only doing the smiley face on port side.

Hi Bob - Thanks for the inputs. Other than the breeze I like to have the "glass" open when heading to the inlet for fishing early in the morning when its still dark out. I also like for my 1st mate to be able to see out and watch for channel markers etc.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We chose a light, almost silver gray, could have been called oyster, but don't remember exactly. We're out of town and don't have a reference from the invoice. Many choices though. We thought about dark blue, but worried about heat in FL. Mildew wouldn't show as bad, but the darker colors might show other stains like bird droppings.

grady23

Reaction score
I just had A & J Canvas in Vanceboro NC replace all the canvas on my '97 Gulfstream -- Great price and terrific service. I had them do the single panel side curtian w/ large modified smiley face. I can now roll up the side w/o having to un-snap evrything. The price for the Gulfstream was $1200 for the Sunbrella Plus and 40 mil material. For an extra $300 I chose the StrataGlass material. This is a family owned/operated biz and they do all the canvas work for Grady-White. When you buy a new Grady -- It's thier work your getting. Phone is 252-244-1509. I have no fianacial interest in the operation -- They are just very nice people that do a great job and are VERY proud of their workmanship. If you contact them -- Tell them the guy from Maryland in the Gulfstream says "HEY".