Advice on a 282 Sailfish

used2sail

Reaction score
did you end up closing the deal?
we are closing next Friday. The marina is going to fix all the defects noted in the survey and I'm going to have them do the mid sections so thats not a concern going forward. We had planned to close tomorrow but had to put it off until next week.

i WAS IN SEARCH OF A SAIL FISH FOR THE SAME PURPOSES AS YOU STATED .... THEN I DISCOVERED THE MARLIN ... SINCE THAT POINT I HAVE OWNED TWO MARLINS ... 2001 AND 2007 ... THE MARLIN IS AN AMAZING MULTI PURPOSE BOAT ... WHETHER IN FIVE FOOT SEAS , A NASTY INLET, OR 2 FEET OF WATER ON THE SAND BAR. IT IS A GREAT FISHING / FAMILY BOAT AND FOR OVER NIGHT TRIPS IS MORE THAN DOABLE ... AND IS PRETTY COMFORTABLE FOR A BOAT THIS SIZE ... i DON'T TRAILER IT BUT I HAVE A TRAILER AND HAUL IT OUT MYSELF FOR WINTERIZING ... AN EXPENSE SAVED. WITH THE WAC YOU LOOSE A LITTLE CABIN SPACE BUT THE TRADE OFF IS WELL WORTH IS IN MY OPINION.. MY 2007 HAS A POWER WINCH ANCHOR , BOW THRUSTER, AUTO PILOT, HEAT AND AC AND GENERATOR... ALL THINGS I DIDN'T NEED OR WANT BUT NOW WOULD NEVER DO WITHOUT !!! MANY NIGHTS ON THE HOOK IN THE BAY WATCHING GREAT SUNSETS, CATCHING WEAKFISH AND STRIPER.. A LITTLE JOSE CUERVO OR CAPT MORGAN AND JUST RELAXING .. ENOUGH GALLEY TO MAKE BREAKFAST AND IF YOU WANT I NICE HOT SHOWER .
IT sounds as if we are using the boat for the same purposes. When i was in Portland to do the sea trial a Marlin motored by as we were boarding the sailfish and you could really appreciate the extra foot of beam. Maybe someday we'll upgrade to a marlin or the express! I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to pass the time waiting for spring. Hopefully it snows a lot so i can amuse myself on my snowmobiles.

Run them often, keep up with the maintenance, sitting idle is like cancer imo. They are happiest catching fish. Make sure you know where your gas is coming from and if it's a quality place, some marinas are sketchy, water in there is no bueno. I do run seafoam or the like through them once per season. Otherwise they seem to get a little congested during the hottest months at low RPM, once that's done though they purr just fine. My exhaust stacks were done by my local dealer before I bought the boat, they have been fine and no issues beyond the standard stuff everyone will have. People knock the F225's but they are a great match for this hull, they have given me next to no issues besides my own self-inflicted encounter with a submerged object, and are relatively easy to work on.

I hope I have as good results as you have had. The engines on this boat certainly didn't get used very much but they are clean under the cowl and they sure did run well on the sea trial. Smooth, surprisingly quiet, and moved the boat right along. Its good to hear they are happy catching fish. I'm looking forward to catching some fish that i actually want to eat. I've been looking over saltwater fishing gear and trying to figure out the saltwater fishing scene, its changed so much since i was a kid fishing Casco Bay .

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congratulations on your 282 ( hopefully you get it closed ) we also have one, a 2002 bought from a trusted board member. We are here in South Portland.

used2sail

Reaction score
Congratulations on your 282 ( hopefully you get it closed ) we also have one, a 2002 bought from a trusted board member. We are here in South Portland.
I'm sure we'll get it closed next Friday. Its just a matter of pulling all the pieces and people into the same room at the same time. I'm really looking forward to spending lots of time fishing and cruising Casco bay. We lived in Cape Elizabeth when i was very young but my dad got transferred and we moved several times eventually landing in Mass. We stayed close to the family that lived across the street Cape Elizabeth and used to spend time with them on their boat on Casco Bay every summer. My wife and I have been vacationing on Penobscot bay the last few summers and we are hoping to be able to run up there as well. Lots of new ground to cover, new folks to meet and good times to have! We are really looking forward to it.

igblack87

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 222
Nice work! Sounds like all the check list items got worked out?

used2sail

Reaction score
Congrats! Post up some pictures on here when you get a chance.

here are a couple shots I took when we first went to look at the boat back in October. i'm very happy we finally got this done, there were a few hiccups along the way but i think it worked out for all concerned. The marina that sold it to us is going to take care of everything on the surveyors list of items needing attention. I addition they are doing the exhaust mid sections on the engines. I'm buying the parts and they are doing the work for a reduced fee. they are going to store it for me until the spring and then I'll be getting a seasonal slip from them. I'm very much looking forward to the spring and getting some time on this boat. I have some great childhood memories of boating/fishing on Casco bay and I'm looking froward to making some new ones!!
grady white 282.jpggrady white 282 side.jpg

used2sail

Reaction score

heres a link to the ad, thers a lot more pictures in the ad than I have on my computer.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
here are a couple shots I took when we first went to look at the boat back in October. i'm very happy we finally got this done, there were a few hiccups along the way but i think it worked out for all concerned. The marina that sold it to us is going to take care of everything on the surveyors list of items needing attention. I addition they are doing the exhaust mid sections on the engines. I'm buying the parts and they are doing the work for a reduced fee. they are going to store it for me until the spring and then I'll be getting a seasonal slip from them. I'm very much looking forward to the spring and getting some time on this boat. I have some great childhood memories of boating/fishing on Casco bay and I'm looking froward to making some new ones!!
View attachment 27739View attachment 27740
Great looking boat and appears to be in very nice condition. Congrats!

mwlake

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I have a 2000 sailfish 272 and am out of NH/southern ME. If you’re interested I have a great Yamaha mechanic that’s mobile and can survey the engines for you. My previous boat had a 2002 F225, he did the engine survey when I bought and sold and I had him scope and do the exhaust kit before I sold in case I kept it. Also, the sales guy is wrong when it comes to the hours and corrosion issue. The issue has nothing to do with hours, first gen Yamaha 225’s used dissimilar metals in the dry section of the exhaust so it can happen just over time with moisture in the air or water that has enough salinity or debris to conduct it. As for the boat, I tuna fish primarily and can typically only fish sundays given the current RFD’s so I go down every Saturday and spend from Saturday-Sunday night on it. Me and my fiancée also vacation on it and sleep on it a handful of times a year together the most we’ve done is 5 days 4 nights. I’m on the shorter side 5’10ish and the cabin is tight lengthwise when laying on one side of the vberth. When I’m alone I sleep in the middle with no issues with head room. Ours has all of the amentities (ac/hot water heater etc), but we are on a mooring and I don’t currently have a portable generator so can’t use them unless we rent a slip. I’m never too hot on it and I typically run warm especially at night but the temp drops enough on the water that it’s comfortable to sleep. The vberth can become a little stiff on the back after 2/3 nights on it but a foam mattress pad between the sleeping bags and cushions makes it way better. Mine doesn’t have a carpet below and when I sleep on it I’m fishing for stripers with live/chunk mackeral off my mooring so before bed or heading into the cabin to grab something I wash and/or sanitize my hands, change clothes and leave the fishing clothes up top. One thing that the previous owner did to make the cabin way more comfortable was make a screen for the hatch. So I can keep it open for airflow and not get eaten alive. I’ve put ~400 engine hours and spend 10-20 nights a year on the boat the past 2 seasons in the area you’re looking at so if you have any questions or want more details PM me and we can talk further. Curious what marina is selling as very few to no marinas in NH on the ocean are certified Yamaha dealers with factory certified mechanics from what I’ve found the past 3.5 years owning Yamahas.