Advice on a Soft Spot in Cabin Bulkhead

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There is a brown-colored soft spot in the forward cabin bulkhead. It is getting softer. I'm guessing I wash the boat too much ;). But I don't think its going away if I stop washing the boat. So before I take steps that may not be the best solution, I'm asking here because I know there are helpful folks with way more experience than I have in addressing such issues.

My first though is to completely cut out the soft spot. Then seal any newly exposed edges in the bulkhead with 5200 and insert a piece of starboard of comparable thickness. Then cover the seam with the same Grady trim that currently runs along the deck on the outside of the bulkhead (not seen in pics). Or as close as I can get to finding that trim. Then seal that trim up with a good dose of 5200 as well.

That same Grady trim is tall enough that the brown spot is not visible from outside the cabin. So I suspect that trim played a roll in trapping water. So all of that trim will have to be caulked as well.

I'll appreciate any thoughts on my plan of attack. And most appreciative of any better way to go about this.

1682696990525.jpeg

1682696955138.jpeg

Tx, Rob

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
While I've never used Git Rot, I've read plenty about it over the years and this might be a really good application for it. Drill a number of tiny holes above/around the perimeter of the soft spot and inject the Git Rot. And a couple holes in the rotten area, too. The Git rot will penetrate through the wood. It should seal off the good wood so the rot doesn't progress and it should do a decent job of encapsulating the rotten stuff.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks, Dennis. Since my idea was to cut it out, I'm not risking much by giving it a try. I'll be most impressed if it can firm up the soft spot. It is soft enough that I could push a finger through it, I do believe.

Tx, Rob

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
While I've never used Git Rot, I've read plenty about it over the years and this might be a really good application for it. Drill a number of tiny holes above/around the perimeter of the soft spot and inject the Git Rot. And a couple holes in the rotten area, too. The Git rot will penetrate through the wood. It should seal off the good wood so the rot doesn't progress and it should do a decent job of encapsulating the rotten stuff.
I link this idea as a first step. Look at the base of the board to your right foot on the helm. The one you would take out to access the speaker and I guarantee it is having the same issue. If not it will and I would seal that one too.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The wood under my helm (vertical speaker board and trim panel) were melamine covered particle board. Ends not sealed and swollen. I replaced mine with Seafoam Starboard. Color match is good.

The piece in your photo looks like the same material. Under the helm I would make a new piece of trim out of starboard and install with screws and caulk. Stop water from coming in. On the inside you can try Git-Rot. It's structural so a cosmetic coverup is fine. Maybe a starboard trim piece or iron on a piece of melamine.

If the wood is that bad you can dig it out and fill it. You can use epoxy thickened with a sandable filler or something like the product below. Then cover with melamine or trim.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd be more concerned how the water is getting in first. after that, I'd start taking things apart to the degree I could to evaluate the issue. Might be a DIY fix or need a glass guy. Either way, you gotta open her up and find out what is going on.

Reactions: jap201

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The boat stays in an outdoor covered rack. However, I don't know how well it was treated for the first twelve years of its life. I'm told it was kept outside, but with a helm cover over it. I know that it saw little use.

I need to remove the horizontal trim that runs along the outside base of the bulkhead. I suspect I will find more soft spots behind it. I also suspect that the trim piece has held water between it and the melamine covered particle board.

Boat goes into Grady dealer next week for bang cap replacement and, hopefully, to tell me the visible portion of the transom is dry.

I'll ask the dealer's opinion on a fix as well. After they give me a quote to replace the entire cabin I'll be back to trying what is suggested here. I'll likely start in order of least intrusive, unless I find that problem is worse than what is apparent.

Tx, Rob

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
"Replace entire cabin"... :D

If you go the Git Rot route, you can use some paint-for-plastic to mitigate the brown spots. Take a piece of scouring pad to get rid of what you can, first.

Last edited:

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dennis: Yes. I was thinking maybe that same paint I used on my awful helm chair arms. It covered well, has held up well and matched the Grady color well. Of course I'd have to paint that entire bulkhead piece for a decent look.

Tx, Rob

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Of course I'd have to paint that entire bulkhead piece for a decent look.
Not necessarily, Rob. Once you lay down the paint that sticks to plastic, you can then use any paint you want. You can probably find something that, if not exact, is so close that you can feather it/blend it and it will be nearly invisible.

Last edited:
Reactions: wahoo33417