Advice on first Grady White purchase

Mojo Risin’

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
I’ve been a long time reader of this forum but this marks my first post. My dad and I are in the process of looking at what will be our first Grady White. I’ve done a lot of research on the past and current Grady lineup and the two models that we continue to come back to are the Gulfstream 232 and the Sailfish 282. With that said, we are confident that the 232 is the better fit for us at this time. We have not sea trialed either but intend on doing so prior to purchasing. The boat will be moored in Newport, Oregon for six months of the year and stored inside during the offseason.

232 Gulfstream w/ twins (12’- newer) We are moving up from a flat bottomed Harvey dory and so this will be a drastic improvement as it is a bigger more capable platform that allows us to travel further, faster and safer. We routinely travel 15+ miles offshore, and much further when the albacore show up, and this boat will allow us to make those runs in more comfort.

282 Sailfish (06’-08’) The 282 seems that it would provide even more comfort and protection on those long runs. We also have a growing family and the 282 is a boat that could better accommodate that. It will be used for overnighting on occasion and is better laid out for that as well.

The shop that will store the boat during the offseason is 14’ tall and 36’ in length. I read on this forum that the 232 measures 33’ from the ball hitch to the props. In the event that we did choose the 282, I am concerned that it wouldn’t fit inside those dimensions but was hoping to verify that. Another question that I was curious about are if the operating expenses between the 232 and 282 are significant being that the 282 is the bigger heavier boat?

I don’t envision us fishing any less days because we chose the 232 over the 282. From the research I’ve gathered, the 232 is a tank and provides many upgrades that we are not currently accustomed to. I’m also familiar with the towing requirements needed for both boats and have a rig that is capable.

Thank you for your time and any feedback is appreciated!

Christian

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Only comment I will give is to consider Boat on trailer when measuring both length and height. Height in storage is not the same as height under bridge when in water!!!! Trailer is also often longer than boat alone and includes motors and anchor.

Just Saying

H

Reactions: Mojo Risin’

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I’ve been a long time reader of this forum but this marks my first post. My dad and I are in the process of looking at what will be our first Grady White. I’ve done a lot of research on the past and current Grady lineup and the two models that we continue to come back to are the Gulfstream 232 and the Sailfish 282. With that said, we are confident that the 232 is the better fit for us at this time. We have not sea trialed either but intend on doing so prior to purchasing. The boat will be moored in Newport, Oregon for six months of the year and stored inside during the offseason.

232 Gulfstream w/ twins (12’- newer) We are moving up from a flat bottomed Harvey dory and so this will be a drastic improvement as it is a bigger more capable platform that allows us to travel further, faster and safer. We routinely travel 15+ miles offshore, and much further when the albacore show up, and this boat will allow us to make those runs in more comfort.

282 Sailfish (06’-08’) The 282 seems that it would provide even more comfort and protection on those long runs. We also have a growing family and the 282 is a boat that could better accommodate that. It will be used for overnighting on occasion and is better laid out for that as well.

The shop that will store the boat during the offseason is 14’ tall and 36’ in length. I read on this forum that the 232 measures 33’ from the ball hitch to the props. In the event that we did choose the 282, I am concerned that it wouldn’t fit inside those dimensions but was hoping to verify that. Another question that I was curious about are if the operating expenses between the 232 and 282 are significant being that the 282 is the bigger heavier boat?

I don’t envision us fishing any less days because we chose the 232 over the 282. From the research I’ve gathered, the 232 is a tank and provides many upgrades that we are not currently accustomed to. I’m also familiar with the towing requirements needed for both boats and have a rig that is capable.

Thank you for your time and any feedback is appreciated!

Christian
Have you ever considered leaving your boat in a slip or on the trailer at a marina that has a ramp. That way you don't have to worry about trailering and you get the boat that you want. Also depending on how old your dad is, if the boat is in a slip he can go out himself on days when you're not available.

Mojo Risin’

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Have you ever considered leaving your boat in a slip or on the trailer at a marina that has a ramp. That way you don't have to worry about trailering and you get the boat that you want. Also depending on how old your dad is, if the boat is in a slip he can go out himself on days when you're not available.
Thanks for your response Father’s Day. We intend to leave the boat in a slip from May 1- Nov 1 and I hope that my dad takes advantage of that on the days I am stuck at work. Our current slip is 32’ long so that it accommodates the future Grady. There is a beautiful Marlin 300 a couple slips down that I catch myself staring at often. Some factors leading us towards the 232 are that it is a big step up from our current set up. Others have stated that it is a BIG 23 footer and can be rigged with twin engines which we want. It also allows us to find a newer hull being that the 282‘s run ended in 2008. With that said, the 282 checks a lot of boxes. The shop that the boat will be stored in during the offseason is only one hour from the ramp and is actually 54’ in length but a wall leaves us with only 36’ unless we make modifications which is a possibility. The door height is also a concern. We will keep our eyes open for both but welcome any more feedback or recommendations from the group. Thank you all

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
big difference in running costs between a 232 and a 282. id do some homework and MPG on that. both great boats. ..I think my 270 is 45 ft long with engines trimmed up from coupler to skeg

X-Land

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I can only comment on the 232. We have had one for 6 years. It is a 2000 we have re-powered it twice since my partners and I log 500hrs of water time a season. We have a single 300 and a 19 kicker. We are located on the West coast of Vancouver Island, fish in Barkley sound and up to 20miles off shore in 3-5m seas. The 232 is very comfortable for 4 adult fishers or a couple over night. It is very seaworthy and can take much more than the occupants. It is a bit of a fuel hog so we try to hold it below 4500 rpm when running off shore. We seem to run about 40litres per hour (10usgal). The kicker is super efficient and keeps the primary power for travelling and not trolling. Even though it’s an older hull it is as good as new. The components like drawers and seats have needed upgrading. We are adding a new rear full width pod this winter to increase hull length, rear buoyancy plus better mounting and steering connection for the kicker. Our property is on the inlet so we store our boat in the yard in the off season. The first year we tarped it and that was a disaster with a rare snow fall. We now leave it open stripped and all plugs open. She fairs the winter very well without cover.
We love the 232 and would always replace it!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I was in a very similar circumstance at your age. My dad and I were looking at 248s and 268s. The 268s were a little too big for the garages I had, and a little too expensive to operate. We bought and kept the 248 for almost 10 years; had a lot of fun and made a lot of great memories. No regrets.
As a working professional my income climbed significantly after buying the 248 and I always had an itch for the 268/270 because it was the same boat, but did everything better - enclosed head, taller cabin, twins, better ride, etc. We now have a 270 and love it, but I'm glad we waited. Owning a boat above your means is no fun if you plan to have a family. It takes too much and doesn't give enough back. Unless you have deep pockets now, I'd wait on the 282. Both are fine boats and look to be a great upgrade from where you are now.
FWIW, our 270 is 34' long from the coupler to the back of the engine cowlings (when lowered) and that is with a short tongued trailer. It should be a foot longer. A 282 will put you right at 36'.
GW doesn't do themselves any favors marketing the Gulfy as 23'. If it had a euro transom like the 282 instead of the bracket, it would be at least a 25 foot boat!
Happy hunting!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have no experience with either boat, though I've heard the guys with their 232 Gulfstream's absolutely love them. I stepped on one at my local GW dealer here in Edmonds called Jacobsen's Marine and realized it's a much bigger boat than what I needed. I fish just north of you up in the Seattle area in Puget Sound in front of our beach cabin on Whidbey Island. The waters are fairly well protected, especially during the summer, and so I went with a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer and a single Yamaha F225 on it. IMO, I love everything about the boat and wouldn't hesitate to take her out to the open ocean, as the boat will handle much more than I'd want to be out in. There's also another member of the forum who said he's owned like 10 Grady's over the years and his favorite by far was the 232 Gulfstream, which I think would solidify your answer right there. My next door neighbor up at our cabin has a GW 270 Islander and IMO it's massively overkill for what we do, which is trolling for salmon and checking crab pots, with the occasional jaunt out to go shrimping or halibut fishing, etc. Based off the performance and comfort of my boat, I wouldn't have any issue routinely going 15+ miles out in a 232 Gulfstream. I think the best thing you can do is to take one, or maybe there's a nearby forum member, who could take you out with them to experience the boat and the conditions you might encounter. One last thing is that the 282 Sailfish per the brochure does have a 30'2" overall length including a bow pulpit, which is going to be even longer when on a trailer. If your shop is 36' deep, I could potentially see that being an issue for storing the boat indoors. The 232 Gulfstream does have a 9'3" beam though, so it'll be a wider boat to trailer, though it is still quite doable. I stepped up from a 21' Arima to my GW 228 Seafarer and am so glad that I did as the difference between the two boats is night and day. If I were in your shoes, the 232 Gulfstream would be my pick hands down, and the fact that they still produce the boat to this day can attest to its ongoing popularity.

Last edited:

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Both are great boats. Aside from size restrictions with your garage I would say the most limiting factor for you based on what you have said is the sleeping accommodations and possible the enclosed head. If you really plan on doing more than just a couple of overnighters on it then the 282 will be infinitely more comfortable. It has the v-berth, aft cabin, and an enclosed head. The 232 sleeps 2, maybe 3 but not super comfortably. Also does not have the enclosed head. Having said that, it is my all-time favorite GW and I’ve owned more than a few. The 232 needs twins. People who own them with singles will say otherwise but run them both in some weather and you’ll see why. It’s a huge 23’ and a fantastic boat. The 282 is also a fantastic boat but aside from the cabin it may not be worth the upgrade for you based on your requirements. It will cost more to own but not a ton more. A 232 will have twin 150’s 0r 200’s and a 282 will have twin 225’s or 250’s. More fuel for sure but not so much as it should be a deal breaker. You can’t go wrong here. Figure out what’s MOST important to you. Chances are you won’t take the 282 out in anything you wouldn’t take the 232 out in. IMO it all comes down to the cabin……FWIW

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have had both the Gulfstream and the Sailfish, they are both very seaworthy boats that can handle just about any sea conditions that you would want to be out on. My Gulfstream only had a single F225. I have heard many say it is underpowered with a single but I never had a power issue. The only issue I had with the single engine Gulfstream was docking with a single engine. The Sailfish I have has twin F250's which is a very nice package. The Sailfish is better docking and overnighting and a bit more deck space. The Sailfish also has shore power, hot water and refrigeration which the Gulfstream did not have. Fuel cost with a twin engine Gulfstream and Sailfish will be a bit higher on the Sailfish but as someone said earlier not a deal breaker. If you think that a 28 - 30 foot boat will be part of your future it may be easier to bite the bullet now and go with the Sailfish - budget allowing. Good luck - good news is there is no bad decision to be had here - you will be very happy with either choice.

Mojo Risin’

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
This information has been so helpful so thank you to those that have replied. I do envision a 28-30 foot boat in the future but I believe the 232 is the best fit at this time. From what I have gathered, those that own a 232 absolutely love them. The comments that Family Affair posted about making many amazing memories on the 248 but being happy that they waited on the 270 also makes me more confident in the decision. I assumed that you can’t go wrong with either, I have watched many Grady’s pass me on the way to the fishing grounds, but I appreciate the feedback from those with the experience on these boats that I don’t have. I am hoping to look more seriously in the coming months and dream of the day that a 232 follows us home.

Last edited:
Reactions: family affair

used2sail

Reaction score
As a guy who recently purchased an '06 282 Sailfish i have to say one thing i really appreciate mopre than i thought i would is the stand up head. We overnight on ours fairly often in the summer and not having to sleep on top of or directly adjacent to a porta potty is a big plus. I have just one season so far on my 282 abnd we have been very happy with it. My son in law and I have been out 15 miles or so in some pretty snotty seas and the boat handled it just fine, i have twin f225's and average around 1.1 mpg , if i have a light load and calm weather i can see 1.2 occasionally.

SouthFork

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a family of 5. My wife packs enough stuff for a day trip to the sandbar to last us 3 days. We also bring our 2 golden retrievers with us often unless we are heading offshore. Our last boat was a 268 Islander and our current boat is a 282 Sailfish. The Sailfish is perfect for us. Plenty of room for all 5 of us plus friends and dogs and everything my wife brings. If you have a family of 5 or are expecting to I’d go with the Sailfish hands down.

Fishtales

Reaction score
One thing to measure is the distance in the helm area between the seats. The two captains chairs were a tad tight in my 282. When I went to the Marlin, the boat had a companion seat that really opened the passage way up. The downside of the passenger seat is it is not adjustable and can be a little low for some folks (seeing out windshield). I wish there was a cabinet under the seat that would provide some storage but mainly raise the seat. IMHO 4" would be ideal.

As for the choice, I think it would be a similar compare. I believe the Gulfstream is 9'3" while the Sailfish is 9'6" abeam. Not much difference. If trailering the Gulf is a tad over the limit for most states, but I'd think you'd be ok trailering. The biggest difference is in the cabin. The Sailfish has a stand up head - huge difference with women and kids and def is better for getting out of the snot. I don't think you could go wrong with either boat but bigger is usually better.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I've said many times, "The only boat better than a Grady-White is a bigger Grady-White"

If you're contemplating smaller Vs. bigger, I say lean towards bigger. You'll save $ in the end by doing the upgrade now.
I went from a 228 to a 265 and then to a 330. As I get older, I appreciate every inch of the 330 more and more.

Except for James Bond, we only live once.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I went from a 228 to a 265 and then to a 330. As I get older, I appreciate every inch of the 330 more and more.
Except for James Bond, we only live once.

Yep!

Just signed (finally) the purchase offer for a 2011 306 Bimini, but hopped in the last days on a 262EX EdgeWater, a GW 330 Express and yesterday on a Carolina Classic 32 with tower.
The Edgewater was definitively too small, too small deck space and too small cabin, even if intelligent designed.
But I hate to come down the stair and hit the bed and most of small cabin boats I saw end up with the cabin as storage area.

As I in no way want to depend on others to go out to help me with my boat and i mostly fish alone I have some special needs. My new boat must be to handle alone and same for fishing, and that makes e Express and any cabin boat a more complicated than a center console.
Either the 330 Express or the Carolina Classic 32 where awesome boats with a useful cabin, the CC 32 is wider and heavier and more hard core fishing orientated while the 330 Express is a bit more refined and a thad less fishing.

I owned boats up to 34 ft and consider me as a good and experienced captai, but I never owned a cabin boat and that makes me a bit hesitant to go the Express style way.

The Canyon 306 is that what I used to and perfect for late spring to early autumn, but as I plan to stay again all year around here in Sardinia a cabin and a protected cockpit would not be a wrong decision as long I get used to dock this big boys without falling over board when pulling the lazy line to the bow . We don't/rarely have finger docks here, we dock Med-Mooring style, stern to the pier/dock with two stern lines and two bow lines to weights on the sea bottom.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: HMBJack

Mojo Risin’

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Though I am still leaning towards the 232, the last few posts have certainly reiterated why the 282 is a solid option as the next boat. I will continue to do my homework before we ultimately pull the trigger. We are currently preparing our dory to sell, which is bittersweet, but I very much look forward to joining the Grady Club with you all. If there are any 232/282 owners in the Pacific Northwest, I would love to connect and talk more about your Grady’s. Thanks again everyone!