ADVICE ON MOUTING A MERC 15HP KICKER ON A 232 GULFSTREAM

gju42486

Reaction score
I recently just purchased a new to me Grady White 232 Gulfstream from Va and im in the process of transforming it into a Lake Erie Walleye Charter boat. The Boat is powered by a 250hp Yamaha (on a bracket mount) and has a 3/4 swim platform on the stern.

I have aquired a 2005 Mercury 4 stroke 15hp long shaft kicker that i will be mounting on the starboard side of the transom.

The kicker will be used almost daily so i am looking for a power tilt/trim setup. My question is, can anyone recommend a beefy mount that they have good experience with, and also- with my setup (see pics), do you think it is best to attach the kicker on the swim platform with a bracket setup, or put it on a separate mount next to the swim platform.

Looking for any non-biased advice/input on this matter.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1210111249.jpg
    1210111249.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 4,013
  • 1210111346.jpg
    1210111346.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 4,010
  • 1212110934b.jpg
    1212110934b.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 4,011

cedarholm

Reaction score
I would get ahold of this guy.

He did mine for an Escape 209 on starboard side.

I bet he could do a bracket that allows removal of swim platform SS brace and bolt platform back onto new bracket.

gju42486

Reaction score
cedarholm said:

I bet he could do a bracket that allows removal of swim platform SS brace and bolt platform back onto new bracket.

thanks for the reply but i do not see any information associated with the guy you are talking about?

cedarholm

Reaction score
gju42486 said:
cedarholm said:

thanks for the reply but i do not see any information associated with the guy you are talking about?

Oops! See below:

http://pages.pacificcoast.net/~bitemetoo/

derx2

Reaction score
I mounted my 15HP Longshaft 2 stroke kicker motor (79 lbs) using a

Garelick 71090 mounting bracket (rated for 169 lbs) on the starboard side of my G/W 204.

I spaced it away from the transom with a 2" thick piece of white UHMW so the handle of the motor bracket would not hit the rub rail. Used some long S.S. carriage bolts through the transom with fender washers and nylock nuts on the backside. Assembled and sealed everything up with 3M 4200 fast cure sealant

It works pretty well. And I am using the bracket at about 50% of its rated weight capacity. I went low tech and just steer it with the tiller.

gradyforyou

Reaction score
For what it is worth I have a 15hp mariner on my 91 228. I have the screw tightened so the kicker stays straight and I steer by turning the big motor. Works good trolling big water not a shoreline. My experience is if the wind is blowing doesnt matter if you can steer the kicker or not, just not enough butt to keep headin into the wind. I can get about 7mph wot on the kicker.

cgmiller

Reaction score
I had run a 15 hp Honda 4-stroke on the back of a 26 Shamrock for several years. The engine was mounted on a heavy duty Garlick bracket bolted to the transom. I had a small "block & tackle" borrowed from saiboat rigging affixed to the bottom of the bracket and the top of the gunnel. It was easy to pull the engine up and let it down with the rope and pulleys. Without it lifting the engine up was really tough as the engine was very heavy...

gju42486

Reaction score
cgmiller---you dont happen to have any pics do you??

I have found a few brackets, one at adventure marine that hook right into your swim platform and i think thats the way to go. personally i dont think i have enough room on the sides of my platform to go straight into the transom with a power lift, i also dont want to modify or cut my platform to do this.

I have not been able to find any swim platform mounts that offer spring assist tilt/trim or even power assist.....maybe you guys know of a source?

cedarholm

Reaction score
Apparently, your kicker does not have power tilt / trim, correct?

Might want to communicate with that west coast bracket maker.

I wonder if you could install a Panther lift onto a welded aluminum bracket.

Are you hoping to align your cavitation plate with bottom of hull when trolling?

gju42486

Reaction score
cedarholm said:
Apparently, your kicker does not have power tilt / trim, correct?

Might want to communicate with that west coast bracket maker.

I wonder if you could install a Panther lift onto a welded aluminum bracket.

Are you hoping to align your cavitation plate with bottom of hull when trolling?

thats correct, no power tilt/trim.

I would definitly entertain the option of the panther lift on an aluminum bracket-thats a decent idea. The overall goal is to get as much of the lower unit in the water while trolling as possible