Advice on re-bottom painting a 330

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I had the bottom repainted three years ago when I bought the boat. I keep it in high/dry storage and it's not in the water for more than a week at a time. Bottom paint is thin is spots due to a grounding on a sand bar at 2:30 am when I dragged anchor for 1 mile (yes, I changed the anchor and added 30 more feet of chain).

I am going to move the boat from Florida panhandle to the Keys for at least 6 months maybe more and boat will be in a slip full-time so it's time to repaint. From limited research it seems that Micron 66 and Petit ViViD are the paints of choice. One problem is that I don't know what kind of ablative paint is on the boat now. Does it really matter?

Two questions I am looking for answers to are (1) which paint to go with & how many coats, and (2) how many gallons am I going to need for this size boat?

Regards,

seasick

Reaction score
jip40 said:
I had the bottom repainted three years ago when I bought the boat. I keep it in high/dry storage and it's not in the water for more than a week at a time. Bottom paint is thin is spots due to a grounding on a sand bar at 2:30 am when I dragged anchor for 1 mile (yes, I changed the anchor and added 30 more feet of chain).

I am going to move the boat from Florida panhandle to the Keys for at least 6 months maybe more and boat will be in a slip full-time so it's time to repaint. From limited research it seems that Micron 66 and Petit ViViD are the paints of choice. One problem is that I don't know what kind of ablative paint is on the boat now. Does it really matter?

Two questions I am looking for answers to are (1) which paint to go with & how many coats, and (2) how many gallons am I going to need for this size boat?

Regards,
Those paint manufactures have website with all the info you need, coverage, prep, etc.
I have used water based bottom pint for a few seasons and am pleased with it. It sheds barnacles very well and my boat sits in the water a lot between sailings. It is so much nicer to clean up and it doesn't smell as bad as the non water based paints. It is a bit different to apply but just follow the directions.
I suspect your previous paint is ablative since it seems to have 'rubbed' off easily. If so, light sanding and cleaning is all you need as long as the hull and gel coat are in good shape