Advise Needed Installing Pulpit Windlass on 208

steveditt

Reaction score
Last year purchased from a member complete windlass kit ,pulpit , railing ,controls and 500 Horizon Windlass ,was going to upgrade the windlass but seems to be working fine on the bench . Grady suggested installing the windlass above the anchor door via an extension which would give the rope more vertical drop of course I really don‘t want to do this because the pulpit is pre drilled . The existing method was done by Grady and I see other 208 in pictures with the windlass on the pulpit. Looking for some advise from 208 guys with the windlass mounted on the pulpit is the vertical rope drop a problem and what rope do you recommend of course I ordered 3 ply spliced chain during black Friday and now I’m not sure if I should have gotten 8 Plait any help would be appreciated. Steve

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can find posts I have on my windlass install....sorry not the 208, but like you, I did not want to butcher up my access hatch.
So far, it works very well.
I went to SecoSouth and got the 8plait like everyone recommended with the 1/4 chain. The 8 plait is amazing and very supple. Folds down so much better than the 3 stand rode. Definitely worth it and not too costly from Seco.
I ended up using 30' of chain. I bet 1/2 of that would be fine. I find that the chain after it piles up will slide off and hang some in the rode so next time I launch, I might have to pull it out first time to get it started, but after that, for the day no issue.
I think less chain it will not do that as much, but even then still way better than manual way prior to windlass option. :D

steveditt

Reaction score
[Roberth] Thanks for your suggestion , I emailed W.M. and they said I could return the 3 strand but will make sure that's true before ordering the 8 PLY ,with 15 ' chain as you suggested ,just to cold in the N.E. to get much done . Thanks