Advise on Raymarine A65 System

Kurth

Reaction score
I'm trying to outfit my new-to-me Grady White 208 Adventure with a new electronics package.

I'm looking to spend no more (or not much more) than $1000 on a dual-function unit with as large a screen as possible.

Right now, I think I've narrowed my search to the now end-of-life Raymarine A65 dual function unit. It sells in a package from boemarine.com for about $1,000, but I think I can grab the components separately for even less:

I came up with the following:

* Raymarine A65 for $349 (with RS12 GPS antennae and Navonics Silver USA) at http://www.wmjmarine.com/raya65chart.html

* Raymarine DSM25 Digital Sounder Module for $329.99 at http://store.walleyetacklestore.com/25269.html

* P58 Transom Mount Transducer for $92.80 at
http://www.toptransducer.com/servlet...nsducer/Detail

Total price = $771.79

That's about $300 shy of what the total package runs from BOE.

Am I missing anything that I'd need that the BOE package includes?

I know the new A70D system is the latest and greatest, and if money were no object, I'd be looking there. But even at substantial discounts from the MSRP (i.e. Defender had a deal for the A70D package at $1,330 a little while back), the A70D package is almost twice as expensive as the A65.

I'm mostly going to be fishing inshore with the occasional trip 20 miles out for something different. For what I'm going to be using this electronics package for (basic chart plotting and fish finding), should I really care about the limitations of the old A65 unit (no WAAS, limited Nmea 2000 compatibility)?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From the complaints I've heard about Raymarine units, look at another manufacturer.

Kurth

Reaction score
Grog said:
From the complaints I've heard about Raymarine units, look at another manufacturer.

Really? I've heard nothing but good things about Raymarine. What are the knocks?

From what I've heard, outside of Furuno, Raymarine is top of the line.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Moisture in the screens and failures.

They are $350 for a reason.

Kurth

Reaction score
Grog said:
Moisture in the screens and failures.

They are $350 for a reason.

I'll look into the moisture issue, thanks.

As for the price, the A65 I listed above is $350 because it is a discontinued, end-or-life unit. It's current replacement, the A70D is $1,400.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a set of A65's on my skiff and have nothing but good things to say. I had Raymarine products the last 4 years(2- E80's, 2-C120's, 2-E120's) with no problem what so ever , the only thing is that the A65's are not WASS, they are WASS ready, but you have to buy an additional 150 bucks antenna.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
I have an A60 which is very similiar to the 65 with the same software and just a slightly smaller and lower resolution screen.

The pros: My package unit was $500 out the door including antenna, sounder module, and transducer. Stock transom-mount transducer; great sounder to about 300' beyond that its underpowered.
The unit is also exceptionally easy to use and the screen size is about right for the 208 (I have the smaller compartment and it fits snugly inside)

The cons: The non-waas gps is pretty far off when you have an enabled garmin sitting beside it, but it gets the job done nicely for navigating. The chartplotter is ok at best.....again this is compared to garmin with bluecharts. It has a slow re-draw rate and your position seems to be uptated about half as many times/min as the garmin.

I dont know if it is just my unit but it will also tend to freeze when your quickly running through the menus .

I know the models did not spend much time on the shelves but i also dont think they could compete with lorance and garmin in the small boat market. For the money though I dont think it can be beat, even with the small issues........assmuing it holds up for a few years.

BTW, mine has been on the boat for 5 months now of hard offshore use.

Amigo

Reaction score
I purchased the A65 a couple of years ago well before prices were dropping. I paid somewhere over $1,500.

I had one problem that was cured with a dowloaded software update. (Early model problem I would guess) I have been happy with the unit on Lake Michigan. No problem marking Lake Trout or Chinook on the bottom in 150 feet of water while trolling.

My major need is to get back to the pier heads in a fog. No problem there. I also like the track feature. Salmon tend to hang in the same general areas and marking a hook up on the track serves well.

I would recommend it at that price for inshore fishing.