Advise on Windlass Install on a 208 Adventure

Kurth

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2002 GW 208 Adventure. One of the first things we want to put on this boat is an anchor windlass. It does not have a bow pulpit, and the cost of one ($1200 - $1500 from Grady from what I read here) is prohibitive on top of the cost of the windlass itself. So, we're planning on going with an anchor roller.

Anyone have a similar set up? Any advise on installing an anchor roller and windlass on a 208? From what I've read, it seems the only real option on a boat the size of the 208 is to install right on top of the anchor locker door and permanently bolt the door down. My only real concern is that the anchor locker on the 208 might not have enough freefall. Anyone know whether or not that's the case?

What windlass would you choose? I've heard good things about Lewmar. Vertical or horizontal? Freefall?

Anything we need to look for in an anchor roller?

Finally, if you have any pics of a similar setup (windlass on a 208 with an anchor roller), I'd love to see them.

Thanks!

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Kurth again....you got me going thru the new threads this afternoon.

Are you concerned about ease of retrieval, or a physical restraint issue?

Out here we use the Windline AR3 roller and an 'armstrong' winch. There's plenty of core in the bow area in front of the anchor locker to thru-bolt a roller on deck. Works out really well. My buddy KINGJ here on the forum has the same setup on the same boat:

AR-3%20Large.jpg

(if the image doesn't display you can view it here:
http://www.windline.com/index.php?act=v ... ls&mod=101 )

We anchor quite a bit and while I always had a windless on the bigger boats, even one of them had 250' of 5/8" chain so it was a requisite, but the light ground tackle for this boat seems no problem to pull in even for this old man with a bad back.

I run a 18lb danforth style, had to cut a couple of inches off the bars at the base of the flukes to fit it down into the locker. Add 30' of 5/16" chain a 250' of 7/16" 3-strand. No problem pulling it in, usually there's not more than 150' out at any given anchorage. I put a marker in the line at 150 so I know where I'm at as it goes out.

My one complaint would be the line diameter is too small to grip easily, so next time I would go with 1/2", I think a couple hundred might fit in there. In any case, you have to dig a hole in the coiled line to fit the main bar of the anchor down in there. It's kind of a hassle but once put away it's well out of sight and securely stored.

In anycase, I wouldn't want an anchor hanging off the bow anyway. Plus, like you say, there may not be enough drop to get the rode to self-feed in there either. Maybe more trouble than it's worth.

Here's a pic of mine on the trailer, you can see the roller sticking out. The rode just clears the bow. I added a line chock just behind it to turn the line right or left to tie-off on one of the cleats.
DSC00216.jpg

Kurth

Reaction score
Well, if it was just me, I could see going the roller route without a windlass, but my father will be doing a lot of fishing by himself (unfortunately, some of us have to work). Having a windlass so he can get the anchor out while still at the helm is pretty important to him.

I spoke to the Grady White dealer today who said he'd put windlasses on 208 Adventures in the past and that, while it's a little tight, there is enough drop in the locker to auto feed the rode.

Now the question is what windlass to get. I was going to go with the Lewmar Pro Fish 700 ($784 shipped), but a marina I called suggested that was more windlass than I need for a 208 Adventure. He said I'd be better off with the Lewmar Pro-Sport 550 ($464 shipped).

I looked at the 550 and compared it to the 700. I'm not thrilled with the idea that the 550 is a plastic/aluminum. The 700, on the other hand, is 100% 316 stainless steel.

Thoughts?

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
which windlass

I am about to mount a bow pulpit on my 98 208 and I picked the Lewmwar Profish 700. Its all stainless and it has a free fall feature that I really wanted. Defender in Connecticut gave me the best deal.
Once installed I will post my install with photos

Kurth

Reaction score
Re: which windlass

fsc60 said:
I am about to mount a bow pulpit on my 98 208 and I picked the Lewmwar Profish 700. Its all stainless and it has a free fall feature that I really wanted. Defender in Connecticut gave me the best deal.
Once installed I will post my install with photos

Perfect. I'll keep an eye out for the pics. Good luck!

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've toyed with the idea of installing a windlass on my Seafarer but have fallen back on the retrieval ball method instead. It sure works for me and lets me spend those $$$ on something else.

You can see it on the bow in my profile picture. When I don't plan on anchoring I stow it in the cabin.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can never have a big enough windlass. If budget allows it go with the bigger one, it will have less strain so it will last longer. A freefall is always a plus for me at least.

J-cubed

Reaction score
I also thought of putting a windlass on my 208. Because of the lack of space, I chose to go with an anchor roller, choke and a set of eyes and rollers along my bow rail stanchions. Now I am able to pull up my anchor with out climbing out onto the bow. I also placed some extra heavy duty clear vinyl adhesive film on the front of the bow so that the anchor does not damage the bow if it happens to swing into it. I have used this system for a few years now and it works great.
I did buy a anchor ball but have never had to use it. If you would like some pictures of the set up let me know. I will take some and try to post them with a list of the parts I used. Good luck with the windlass if you chose to go with it. It will be easier than my arm strong.

seasick

Reaction score
J-cubed said:
I also thought of putting a windlass on my 208. Because of the lack of space, I chose to go with an anchor roller, choke and a set of eyes and rollers along my bow rail stanchions. Now I am able to pull up my anchor with out climbing out onto the bow. I also placed some extra heavy duty clear vinyl adhesive film on the front of the bow so that the anchor does not damage the bow if it happens to swing into it. I have used this system for a few years now and it works great.
I did buy a anchor ball but have never had to use it. If you would like some pictures of the set up let me know. I will take some and try to post them with a list of the parts I used. Good luck with the windlass if you chose to go with it. It will be easier than my arm strong.

A picture would be nice. I am interested in your setup.

J-cubed

Reaction score
I hope these pictures help. As you can see she is still in the barn. I hope to launch later this month. I will give you a list of the parts I used if you need it.
p1010005.jpg
p1010001.jpg
p1010002.jpg
p1010003.jpg
p1010004.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Very creative. I might be concerned about too much load on the railing posts when retrieving. I wonder if you could hang a pulley off of a short cable attached to the bow cleat. I am going to think about this ......

Kurth

Reaction score
Really interesting option. Thanks for the pics and idea. The windlass is really my father's call, but I'll run this by him. Certainly would be more cost effective.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you use a retrievel flotation ball, there is no weight of anchor to lift up or displodghe from bottom, by hand.

The flotation ball dislodges and floats the anchor to the surface where it stays afloat for you to steam over to, and just wind in the rode and pull it over the side, that's it. You don't have to do any of this at the bow either, can do it readily from cockpit.