Aerating 208 (or 226) livewell

MA208

Reaction score
Love my 208. I fish live mackerel almost exclusively for stripers out of Gloucester. The livewell is my only point of contention with the boat. Any tricks to make it better? I appreciate that it's large enough, and being square doesn't seem to bother the macks much, but it's akward doing frequent drain and refills to keep the water fresh. Anyone add an aerator? I don't believe Grady offered one. I also have the problem of going outside to catch bait and then run a few miles for stripers. Less than ideal as the well can spill if it's bumpy.

seasick

Reaction score
MA208 said:
Love my 208. I fish live mackerel almost exclusively for stripers out of Gloucester. The livewell is my only point of contention with the boat. Any tricks to make it better? I appreciate that it's large enough, and being square doesn't seem to bother the macks much, but it's akward doing frequent drain and refills to keep the water fresh. Anyone add an aerator? I don't believe Grady offered one. I also have the problem of going outside to catch bait and then run a few miles for stripers. Less than ideal as the well can spill if it's bumpy.
I don't know if yours is different than mine, but I don't drain and refil since there is an overflow. Turning on the pump will refresh the water. You can leave the pump on or cycle it as needed to keep the water fresh

MA208

Reaction score
As far as I know I have the drain at the bottom with a plug, which exits out the thru hull, and the discharge from the pump. Where is your overflow? Mine is a 2007 208. thanks

Pay2Play

Reaction score
There should be a higher drain also. If you do not have this an alternative would be to use a standpipe in your existing drain with a strainer at desired height.

13rounds

Reaction score
Just buy a stand pipe, they're 6.95 I just bought one for the live well install I did on my 208 last Tuesday. Keep the pump running and it will refill itself.

seasick

Reaction score
Plug the bottom drain (using the rubber plug) . There is another drain higher up that will allow water to drain out when it reaches a certain level. You pull the bottom plug to drain the tank completely. You should not need the tube that was mentioned.
If you look at the hull on the port side, you will see the two thru-hulls near the livewell. Once is the bottom drain and the other is the overflow drain.