After 2 days with the buffer...

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
this old bod is tired. But she's coming up pretty nice. The bottom prep and painting was completed last week, and now I'm moving on to the next project.

I have always been a fan of Collinite, but decided to try the Meguiars 3 part system this time. The hull had some stains and early signs of oxidation, probably due to the previous never having waxed the boat since new. The Meguiars was easy to work with, and I am pleased with the results. I buffed the entire hull with their Heavy duty cleaner/compound. That removed the stains and oxidation that no amount of washing would help, and she started looking really nice. I was tempted to move on to the waxing step next, but in spite of my arms feeling heavy, I stuck to my plan of using all 3 parts.

So the next step was to buff the hull again, with the Meguiars Polish. That really brought out a brilliant, deep shine, but of course, it is only polish, not wax. So there is more work to do :roll:

Final step was to do the hull one more time, with Meguiars Pure Wax. That went on and off nice and easy, again using the Makita and lambs wool pad to put it on, and buff it off, so I only used a white terry cloth towel to touch up along the vinyl stripes, and tight under the rub rail.

I still need to do all the top-sides, but I can work on that even when she's in the water, so I'll be moving on to do some electronics work, and engine bracket painting with the Trilux primer and Trilux 33. Should be ready to splash in about a week, if I can hold up that long. :lol:

I wanna go fishin' already :D
Gradyshine.jpg
[/img]

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fantastic.

Meguires makes good products. They're just down the street from us here.

3M also makes outstanding finishing products for boats and cars.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Outstanding!. Please post more pics after you recover and do the topsides.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for all the compliments. Once she's in, and I get the top-sides done, I'll be happy to post up a few more pics :D . In the meantime, gotta get the new RRU installed for the Simrad AP, flush-mount the new FF/CP, and finish the engine work (painting the Trilux, changing plugs, etc.). So I'll be keepin out of trouble for a while.

Tight lines. Hope you all have a great season.

hoppyray

Reaction score
Nice job Capt Bill! Can you tell me the actual names of the 3 Meguires products? I am having trouble locating the "3 part system"

gw204

Reaction score
http://www.meguiars.com/?boat-rv-kits/F ... ion-System

I used the same stuff. Got it at Boater's World for about $30/kit.

On the Sailfish, plan on 10 hours per hull side to do all three steps. I had to buy one kit for each side. I could have probably gotten away with just buying an extra bottle of compound and polish (I used those pretty heavily) though...

IMG_7111.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian & Bill, Im jealous, my '92 - 252g looks looks like an old hag next to
Brian's '93 252G.

It's like I said, but never seen of the 90-93 Sailfish Sportbridge models: the '93 is "Bristol".

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian beat me to it. That's the stuff. Works wonders, and even though my boat is an '02. the finish was dull and matted looking, from some weird combination of "quick fix" products that the previous owner or dealer must have used. Whatever it was, it wouldn't wash off or come up by normal buffer-waxing. Meguiars 3-part is da bomb!

hoppyray

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I am looking forward to trying it out. I have stains on the boat that other polishes and cleaners won't take out without extreme elbow grease. I am thinking of replacing the stripes on the side as they are not looking to good. Should the gelcoat be wax free before I put the new stripes on ?

Reel Soon

Reaction score
Capt'n Bill...Just wondering how well the Meguiars held up? Are you still using it? I have always used Collinites but after reading this post I purchased Meguiars and I am getting ready to do the 3 part system. How often do you reapply? Thanks

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks awesome cpat. Bill. I just did my 22' Seafarer that is for sale yesterday. Now I just have to do the 265 Express before she gets splashed. Unfortunetley I have to get it all done before the boat goes in, once she is in I never find time to do it, I'm too busy fishing!! How well does the Meguiars hold up? Does it require a reapplication during the season? I have been using Collinite hull cleaner and TreeWax Carnaba Wax and it was held up great and keeps the shine for the whole season(May1-Nov1). A lot of guys use Tree Wax around me, but I would rather use a 3 part system and stick with it, not different brands for different tasks that may not work together as well as some of the systems may, so I am contemplating switching to Meguiars. Any input would be great.

Tom

Reel Soon

Reaction score
I finished the three part Meguiars yesterday, and my Grady has never looked better, the mirror finish is awesome! I would definately recommend if your boat is starting to look dull, this makes it look new again. :D

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Last season was the first time I used the 3 part system, and once the boat was splashed, I never hauled it out agin until winter time. The wax held up well, still showing a decent shine, and water still beads up on the hull. I will use it again this season, before she goes in. I'm hoping that the process will go easier than it did the first time, as the hull is in much better condition now.

I have used Collinites in the past, and had good results, but never as good, or as long lasting as the 3 part Meguiar.