Air Condition

Eggy66

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Do anyone had succesfully install an air condition on a Gulfstream ??

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Eggy: You may want to post this in the Tips and Modifications Sections to get more exposure.

I just recently installed a 6500 btu unit in my Sailfish. Maybe easier to do than a Gulfstream. But I did recently see a photo of a Gulfstream with the factory installed AC. The unit sat just aft of the sink on the port side. Sure looked a whole lot more accessible than where I put my AC. Of course, I couldn't see where all of the water and electrical connections were made.

It was not an easy job, but I did it by myself.

If you have a head with a holding tank and an overboard discharge, you have a head start. You could put a Y-valve on the seawater intake for your head to be used for the cooling water pump for the AC. But you'll likely have a long run aft for discharge of that cooling water.

And, if you don't already have it, you'll have to install shore power. You could run the condensate water that comes off the AC unit itself into the forward bilge I suppose.

Search for my post on installing the AC unit. You might find some useful pointers.

Rob

Eggy66

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Thanks, I have the picture of the ac at the portside next to the sink. I dont think there is an AC option for the Gulfstream.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Agree, it isn't an option any longer. But it was an option beginning in 2008 and into at least 2011. I don't know how far past 2011 it went, if at all.

The factory is pretty good at providing help. They even came up with a plumbing schematic on my 2007 Sailfish when I did my AC. They likely would provide a similar plumbing schematic for AC on the 232. They could also tell you how many BTUs their system was. Although, if you plan to use it in South Florida, you might want to go a bit higher than what they used, if you can fit it.

For what it's worth, I went with a Mermaid Air unit out of Ft. Myers. They have a good reputation for helping do it yourselfers and I found that to be true. Their systems are pretty much plug n play.

Good luck if you pursue it. The one thing I did to make the job a whole lot easier is I sacrificed the overboard waste discharge seacock to become the cooling water intake seacock. I was not at all comfortable drilling that big hole in the bottom of my boat and installing a seacock myself. We never discharged waste overboard anyway. Everything else was a matter of some scratched up arms and lots of sweat. I'm guessing you wouldn't even have to run any duct work. That was the hardest part!

Sorry to be so wordy. But if you do it, please let me know. We're considering the 232 in the future for a more trailerable boat.

Rob

Eggy66

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I didnt it was an option at some point. Is this the location you were refering to ??

Attachments

• 879B2BFC-10DB-484A-8B90-876C793A74B2.jpeg
    879B2BFC-10DB-484A-8B90-876C793A74B2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes. I believe that is the factory option, although I can't say that I know that for a fact. Looks a heck of a lot easier to get to than where I put mine! The next question is, how is access to cooling water and electricity?

Rob