Air conditioner options for 2014 Marlin 300

tcsayin

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi GreatGrady members. I got my very first boat 2014 Marlin 300 4 months ago from Punta Gorda, Fl. Sailed it from there to Ft Lauderdale through keys and just did a short trip with the family to Bimini. I think the only thing missing in my boat is some sort of ac for the cabin so my little ones can be more comfortable. What are the options out there? I really appreciate any advise from experienced members of the group as a beginner.

Regards

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Does your Marlin have a non-functioning unit now or was AC never installed? Do you have a generator?

seasick

Reaction score
As mentioned, installing a new system is a lot more work that replacing a system.
Also may I ask if you need to cool at the dock or at sea. In the later case, you will probably need a genset. Do you have a generator?
If the boat didn't have an AC and generator, you are looking at a pretty big job and expense

tcsayin

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Does your Marlin have a non-functioning unit now or was AC never installed? Do you have a generator?
It was never installed and I don’t have a generator. Everybody speaks highly about Honda generators but I am not sure if I need to install the whole AC system or something works with the generator individually.

tcsayin

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
As mentioned, installing a new system is a lot more work that replacing a system.
Also may I ask if you need to cool at the dock or at sea. In the later case, you will probably need a genset. Do you have a generator?
If the boat didn't have an AC and generator, you are looking at a pretty big job and expense
I agree. I need it for trips for my infants and some summer nights when I anchor and sleep in it. I don’t have a generator but I don’t mind to buy a Honda if I can figure out what to use to cool the cabin down. I live in Fort Lauderdale and cruising is usually around this are and Bahamas

seasick

Reaction score
Installation of a factory like AC requires ductwork as well as thru hulls and that means HOLES:). It not a job for the inexperienced.
I have no experience with the following but it might be worth it to look at cabin roof mounted AC units. In some cases, the unit can be installed in the opening for the cabin roof vent. The ones I researched are designed for the RV community so I have no idea how well they hold up in a marine environment.
Personally I don't like portable generators though some swear by them. Some folks install platforms over the gunnels to hold the generator when being used to keep the fumes away from the cabin.
If you use any sort of combustion device, make sure you have a good marine grade CO detector.

Reactions: tcsayin

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Perhaps a better question to ask right up front is this: How much are you willing to spend to have AC in your cabin? I imagine the cost of a new marine AC unit plus the expense of haulout, wiring, plumbing, drilling the hull, etc… will be a good $10k, maybe more. Purchasing and installing a marine generator will be more than the AC installation. Transporting and using a portable generator on a boat is a decision I wouldn’t make lightly. Lots of folks do it, but it won’t be as convenient or safe as a properly installed marine generator. Portable generators like the Honda aren’t really made for a harsh, especially saltwater, environment. Personally, something that is a potential fire or ventilation hazard isn’t something I’d risk just to stay cool, especially with children aboard.

Reactions: PT G

tcsayin

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Perhaps a better question to ask right up front is this: How much are you willing to spend to have AC in your cabin? I imagine the cost of a new marine AC unit plus the expense of haulout, wiring, plumbing, drilling the hull, etc… will be a good $10k, maybe more. Purchasing and installing a marine generator will be more than the AC installation. Transporting and using a portable generator on a boat is a decision I wouldn’t make lightly. Lots of folks do it, but it won’t be as convenient or safe as a properly installed marine generator. Portable generators like the Honda aren’t really made for a harsh, especially saltwater, environment. Personally, something that is a potential fire or ventilation hazard isn’t something I’d risk just to stay cool, especially with children aboard.
To be honest, I don’t want to put a lot of money in it. If I can find a practical solution around 2-3k that would be great.

teaklejr

Reaction score
If you can find a used Cruisair Carry On that might be a option. We used one for 14 years on our F26 Tigercat and it would freeze you out. On a Marlin it's not going to get that cold but would help. You would need a generator to run it. Would be pretty cheap option if you can find one, they dont make them anymore. Here is a link that's old but it gives you an idea of the unit.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
A fishing buddy of mine uses a portable A/C when they overnight on his Tiara. Since it runs off the shore power, it can only be used in a marina as he doesn't have a generator. He vents it through the window and says it works well.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
The portables have come a long way and now they have some with their own battery. Might be worth a look. Battery models are probably 2x-3x the plugin.

EcoFlow Wave Portable Air Conditioner​

Regular price$1,499.00