jmaduzia

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am in need of help trying to figure out why my Marine Air System is not working properly. I own a 2006 330 Express. They AC system has not been running correctly since I bought the boat last year. I know there are a lot of post already about these systems, the pump, air locks, checking breakers but hear me out. When I turn the breaker on (while connected to shore power) the whole system kicks on. Thermostats, blower, and I believe I hear the condenser turn on as well. Then I check the pump. (I’m dry docked so I have a hose running water into the stainer.) Pump is primed. I noticed no water coming out my AC thru hull drain. So after reading and research, its safe to assume a 2006 AC water pump is probably worn out. I buy a new pump (March-0130-0158-0200) 500GPH, I connect it to the existing wires, prime it and start the system back up. No luck. So now I think this is an electrical issue. I check the volts at the pump and am only getting .3 volts. Clearly that’s not enough to power the 115V pump. I go into the galley expose the electrical box on the AC unit and start testing voltage. Attached is a picture that shows what I tested. The main power to the system is reading 120V. The Fan reads 120V. Both of which are the ends of panel. Everything in between reads .3 volts. This cannot be correct. The good news is there is no loss of voltage from system to pump but why is it so low on those other components? Is that why my pump is not running? Is there a fuse or additional breaker somewhere? Would that even make since, I would have zero volts if there was a fuse or breaker else where and it was blown. Any suggestions or tips? It’s a 10,000 btu system.

Attachments

• C7E86509-D4B4-4C67-9795-717F46CF182D.jpeg
    C7E86509-D4B4-4C67-9795-717F46CF182D.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 39
  • ED32CE5C-274D-4136-BD65-35FF663E8114.jpeg
    ED32CE5C-274D-4136-BD65-35FF663E8114.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The pump only runs when needed. There are times mine does not run, when I think it should. The system has some built in test equipment that can help you troubleshoot the system. I don't have mine handy, but I remember that there are special button sequences that diagnose the various systems.

jmaduzia

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Interesting. That’s partly good news then. That it might not be the pump. However the air condition did not cool last year. I assumed it was that the pump not working thus not cooling the system down. Would it need to be recharged? I also don’t notice the heat working well on it at all. Is there something else I could troubleshoot? I’ll look for the button sequence online. I did find the usual manual.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Look at programming the Passport II pages and the troubleshooting flow charts. I had a problem with mine and found that it had lost it's programming.

Reactions: TikiCharterFishing

jmaduzia

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Awesome I will give that a shot in a few days when I’m back at the boat. Fingers crossed.

jmaduzia

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Okay so update. After some more trouble shooting I realized my unit is a passport I/O and found the correct manual. I did some programming and testing. I put the pump on constantly to watch its operation and it did fine. I’m happy about that. Now when it comes to actually working everything seems to be working within the unit as a combine. But it still is not heating quickly nor producing a great amount of AC. Possibly non at all. I need to buy a digital thermometer to put in vent to look for changes. Do these just not put out good results? Obviously it is possible that the refrigerant leaked when is another issue. But other than rust in the bottom of the pan I see no other signs of a leak. Any other checks or suggestions before I have to call someone?

Marine Air CMCD10k/2
Passport I/0

Attachments

• A469BE80-8FFE-4A95-9B87-EBFB321A9548.jpeg
    A469BE80-8FFE-4A95-9B87-EBFB321A9548.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Timbo

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Refrigerant is a gas, you will not see it leak out unless the leak is big enough to carry some of the oil with it which is very doubtful in your case due to the fact these units are so small there is very little oil to begin with. To me it sounds like you got a leak which you will have to call in a professional to fix

seasick

Reaction score
When it comes to AC units, even I won't troubleshoot. I know a guy.....

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Okay so update. After some more trouble shooting I realized my unit is a passport I/O and found the correct manual. I did some programming and testing. I put the pump on constantly to watch its operation and it did fine. I’m happy about that. Now when it comes to actually working everything seems to be working within the unit as a combine. But it still is not heating quickly nor producing a great amount of AC. Possibly non at all. I need to buy a digital thermometer to put in vent to look for changes. Do these just not put out good results? Obviously it is possible that the refrigerant leaked when is another issue. But other than rust in the bottom of the pan I see no other signs of a leak. Any other checks or suggestions before I have to call someone?

Marine Air CMCD10k/2
Passport I/0
My unit does pretty good, even here in FL. I'd get the thermometers and find the temperature drop and see if, based on inlet, outlet, and humidity, the unit is cooling any at all. I also seem to remember that there are fault codes for a variety of faults, including low refrigerant. I could be remembering wrong though. The thing has a lot of self protection modes and I think the compressor will not come on if the refrigerant pressure is too low (or high) enough to damage the unit.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If it is running correctly and blowing hot, prob the refrigerant leaked. They can put some dye in the system and trace it down if that is the case. it is a fairly old unit though. Price a new one and call a guy and see if you can get an estimate. Might be worth replacing.

seasick

Reaction score
If it is running correctly and blowing hot, prob the refrigerant leaked. They can put some dye in the system and trace it down if that is the case. it is a fairly old unit though. Price a new one and call a guy and see if you can get an estimate. Might be worth replacing.
Hey, is that the same "Guy' I mentioned?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If the compressor is running, the refrigerant is not totally gone. You can tell if the compressor comes on by watching the amperage/watts load on your AC meter. You can put the fan on manual (low or high) and turn the temperature up so the compressor is off, then drop the temp setting to get the compressor to try and energize. When the compressor comes on the AC load will jump up significantly. (double digit amps). I believe these units are pretty reliable, but don't know how easy they are to service.