Alarm issue

thunder3535

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Was out the other night and my starboard engine alarm came on. Indicator on the dash had everything flashing so I dont know what the problem was. I shut it off and got home on one engine. Looking at the motor today, I noticed an oil reservoir on that engine was low. I didnt know it was there. Why is there one there as well as larger oil reservoirs on the boat? Why didnt the indicator tell me that the problem was low oil pressure?
Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
thunder3535 said:
Hey Guys,
Was out the other night and my starboard engine alarm came on. Indicator on the dash had everything flashing so I dont know what the problem was. I shut it off and got home on one engine. Looking at the motor today, I noticed an oil reservoir on that engine was low. I didnt know it was there. Why is there one there as well as larger oil reservoirs on the boat? Why didnt the indicator tell me that the problem was low oil pressure?
Thanks
It wasn't low oil pressure. It was low oil in the tank on the motor. That tank called the main tank if fed oil from the larger tank called the aux tank. When oil level gets low at the motor, the sensor signals the pump in the aux tank to fill up the main tank. Yours didn't fill apparently.One of your aux tanks may be empty.If not then either one of the following three things most likely happened:
The oil screen at the aux tank is clogged.
The oil pump on the aux tank is bad.
Wiring issue.

I know I say this often but you should have an owners manual for your motor so that you understand the different alarms and the maintenance steps and checks that should be performed.