Alarm on Cold Start Up

MaineBoy

Reaction score
I am running a 99 Yamaha 175 Saltwater Series. On the last few cold start ups, the alarm stays on for 15-20 seconds then goes away. Once warm the alarm does not stay on when restarting the engine.

Could this be the oil reservoir refilling itself after being in the tilted up "out of water" position when the boat is not in use?

Is it anything to worry about. The engine is under warranty for another 3 weeks. I want to make sure I check out everything in that time frame.

Thoughts?

no problem

Reaction score
I don't believe its the oil reservoir. with 3 weeks left I would return it to the dealer pronto. better safe than sorry.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Notify dealer in writing now to protect yourself.

The alarm cause is easy to find, no challenge to good mechanic.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Make sure you leave boat and tell dealer to start it when cold after sitting overnight. I advice you to be there with dealer when he does start it so you don't hear this one: "no problem everything is OK". So tell dealer you want to be there in the moring before he goes to boat.

Horn should sound momentarily when you turn key sw to on as a check of horn ckt in case a real condition occurs.
Momentarily is not 15-20 seconds so if the dealer says it's OK, you say it is not acceptable.