alarm problem on a yamaha

whitey

Reaction score
launched my boat today.the alarm for the port engine kept going off,oil tank is low.the oil tank will fill if i hit the switch.any ideas before i call in a pro ?

gw204

Reaction score
Shoot this guy an email:

andyjr@shipyardisland.com

His name is Andy Munao. He works at Shipyard Island Marina in WI. He'll help you diagnose the problem and can send you OEM parts at reasonable prices. He's helped me out a bunch of times. :)

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is there a switch that tells the motor it's tilted up? If it thinks it's tilted up that can lock out the oil fill.

tiderunner

Reaction score
Is your tach working? I had similar problem a few years back with my 93' 225 yami and before the alarm went off I noticed the tach was not reading. They might be linked somehow . It was a bad ground in my case. No harm done that was the important part due to alarm.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
whitey said:
launched my boat today.the alarm for the port engine kept going off,oil tank is low.the oil tank will fill if i hit the switch.any ideas before i call in a pro ?

i have the dealers trouble shooting guide
i can sell you yami parts cheaper than anybody around
we are a large volume dealer, we sell factory direct!!!
either u got a bad tilt switch
bad ground
or bad engine sensor

I'm also 5 star certified

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Not sure I completely understand your post.

oil tank is low.the oil tank will fill if i hit the switch

How will the oil tank fill if you hit the switch? What switch?

If we are talking about a 2 stroke and you have a low oil warning check to be sure the float in the tank is not stuck. Otherwise I would trace the wiring for the alarm system and check for bad connections, chaffed or cracked insulation on the wires which would lead to a ground. It's a start.

Pat

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I still don't understand the system, sorry OMC guy here. Is there a reserve or remote tank that you use to fill the main tank? If the tank is full and you are still getting a low oil warning start simple with the stuck float. Most tank level indicators are simple float switch design.
Low oil is better than no oil!!!

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
gearadrift said:
I still don't understand the system, sorry OMC guy here. Is there a reserve or remote tank that you use to fill the main tank? If the tank is full and you are still getting a low oil warning start simple with the stuck float. Most tank level indicators are simple float switch design.
Low oil is better than no oil!!!

way way different

persicion blend

bass and walley mag had a good write up

there is an engine mounted tank
when the sensor in there see low oil, it turn on the remote oil tank pump to fill it up

whitey

Reaction score
called a pro,he'll be out to the boat today.i will give the results when i hear from him.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
whitey said:
called a pro,he'll be out to the boat today.i will give the results when i hear from him.

well if u still want that troubleshooting guide let me know
it is a 10 min test!!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don't run that engine unless you are sure under cowl tank never runs oil dry, or it is fixed.

whitey

Reaction score
all done.problem was in a ground wire in the back of the engine.

Tunacious D

Reaction score
Our starboard motor just did the same thing couple of weeks ago. It was the tilt sensor up under the bracket that was stuck (system thought the motor was trimmed full up). This will not allow the pump in the resevoir tank to send oil up to the motor resevoir. Ordered a new sensor and replaced. Problem solved. We knew where to look from a previous post on this board.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Isn't that something, a tilt sensor interfering with engine's vital lubrication system !!

I have to go over schematic and see for myself.

I don't expect bonehead designs out of Yamaha.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
oil

The 2 stroke yami's are designed with an emergency oil res. under the cover so if you run super low, the alarm will sound and not allow you to go over 1000 or so RPM's. If it's your first launch of the season and the engines were up all winter, it could be that. It could also be the oil sender. There is oil in the res. but it's not being pumped to the engine. Also, are you sure it's the oil buzzer and not the temp buzzer? If it's the temp. buzzer, let me know. It happened to my 250 SWS II and after multiple tries, I finally figured it out.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Plym, for properly operating oil system -

reservoir under cowl (inboard tank) is main engine oil reservoir, gravity feeds into oil pump below it. This reservoir is replenished from outboard tank in boat. Outboard tank has electric pump to make the transfer into the top of inboard tank.

When outboard tank runs too low, transfer pump cuts out auto. As the oil gets lower in inboard tank since no longer replenished, alarm sounds. Then one can actuate the toggle switch that forces transfer pump on to gain reserve supply in outboard tank. They do this to force an action by the operator who may have done the equivalent of running out of gas by not observing gauges.
This is not a good idea to operate oil system this way, because it counts on alarm to work to avoid a $6K - $7K repair bill.

Before this state occurs, if one oberves, the multifinction instruments will be indicating the oil level dropping to a problem state.

If inboard tank ever runs dry, end of engine power head life story.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
BobP said:
Isn't that something, a tilt sensor interfering with engine's vital lubrication system !!

I have to go over schematic and see for myself.

I don't expect bonehead designs out of Yamaha.

Yes if the motor was pumping while tilted up it would over flow!!!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The upper shut off level for the inboard tank is well below the cap.

Even if the engine is tilted all the way up, the oil line changes to stay horizontal, yes, but the middle of the tank in all directions has same level, where the level float rides. So the float sees same level irrespective of engine tilt.

At least that's how it is on my HPDIs.

The schematic shows no connections involving the tilt position sensor in the transfer oil pump circuit.

That's the extent of my Yamaha experience on this subject.

When my old Johnny tilt position sensor leaked and pegged the gauge, I wasn't about to pay the new part rediculous cost, I disconnected them and eyeballed for proper the trim, no problem.