All in, how much was replacing a fuel tank?

lapmd1

Reaction score
Tribe-
Curious what the all in cost for replacing a fuel tank was? I have a '94 Tournament 22, and think it's about time to bite the bullet. I'm located in the NE, and have been told Luther's welding in RI was great and vetted by GW themselves. So including tank cost, removal and installation in the yard, what was ballpark all in? Thnx friends.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Prices are going to range quite a bit. Generally, the tank is about $10/gallon to make (although it might be a couple dollars higher per gallon than that now). But the labor is where it will vary a lot from one boat to another.

-- How easy is it to remove the tank in YOUR boat?
-- Does anything have to be cut in order to remove it?
-- What's your labor rate in your area?
-- Did you (or will you) completely pump out the tank yourself?
-- Some places will not pump out the gas and refuse to do the job if you don't pump it out and flush with water.

Very roughly... if the tank pops right out... figure about a half day of work. But again, that's if nothing "extra" needs to be done.

Reactions: Jimsalv and lapmd1

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Not on my Grady, but on my previous mako - I found that Sunshine Marine Tanks in FL had a better price, including freight than anyone I talked with in NE. The tank was $10 per gallon at time so about 1200 for the 120 gal tank.

Can't help on the removal and installation as I DIY'ed all of that. Removal was necessary prior to ordering the new tank, so I could provide accurate dimensions. New tank fit like a glove. Not familiar with the 22 you have, but the mako had a large removable deck section, which made it simpler to access and remove the old tank.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Luthers Does a good job. They have the prints for Grady so you don't have to pull the tank first. You do want to barrier coat the tank, which they don't do, but some other manufacturers will, it's all about price. I would figure on a full day of labor. I would also question them as to how they are going to secure the tank in the coffin too. Have your wallet handy because there may possibly be other hidden issues. Good luck!

Reactions: lapmd1

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looks like post #5 of the thread linked below has what appears to be the correct dimensions for the fuel tank, which you might be able to find something similar online or you could call around to a few places and see what they have to say.

Reactions: lapmd1