All New Electronics Package ?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Doing my homework early so to speak.

If you all had it to do for your new 2009 (no electronics) 228 with hardtop, what would you choose? Full Garmin 5208 setup with radar, GPS, XM Weather, sounder with in hull ducer. OR Full Raymarine E-80 setup with radar,GPS, Sirrus Weather, sounder with in hull ducer??????

Looking at combo units, not partial Garmin or Raymarine for GPS/Radar then a seperate other brand sounder. I pleasure fish so I'm not all that hardcore about being able to spot fish poop in 1000 ft. of water. :lol: :lol:

I'm open to either one, just looking for real world experience.

Thanks

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When looking at multiple inputs on a single screen, things start to get tight-I suggest you get the biggest screen you can strong arm into the boat, irrespective of brand. The 8 inch screen is on the small side. The cost difference incrementaly is not so much.

To use less mounting surface on the boat and get more screen space, the touch screens may have the advantage.

Good luck.

PS. I'm jealous !

JiminGA

Reaction score
What Bob P. said. Also, you could at least move up to the 4210 or 5210 especially if you go with a flushmount. I'm not sure the 5212 or 4212 would fit, but i would think you could call Grady Customer Service and talk to then about it.

I'd suggest doing a flush mount modification in lieu of the factory electronics "cubby" with the plexiglass cover. It should allow a nicer and likely larger setup. The problem I found with the electronics cubby on the 228 was in having to lean down while underway to see the screens. Now with the flushmount they are right there for viewing with no problem.

Here's a pic of the mod on our 228:

DSC00413Small.JPG

I know I could have gone to a larger 10" combo unit. There are pics on this Great Grady site of setups with 10" flushmounted units. In our case, I was interested in just flushmounting what I already had and also doing a fishfinder upgrade. If the wallet had allowed at the time, I certainly would have gone larger/newer with the GPS.

There is a vendor I would recommend highly. We purchased our fishfinder from him and received a LOT of advice on what model would be right to match how we fish. You need to ask for Jim when you call. BOE has very good prices and folks rave at their level of service and expertise. Check the comments over at TheHullTruth and you will see what I mean.

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store/home.php

Good luck with your selection and be sure and post pics. And also, congrats on the new Grady! :D

dlevitt

Reaction score
Definately speak with Jim at BOE Marine. The website is boemarine dot com... He knows his stuff, has great prices and will also steer you in the right direction.

If I recal, they may be running a special right now on a Garmin 4212 and 4208 Remanufactured units. I personally wouldn't have any issue with one like this. Again, give Jim a call. You won't be disappointed.

David

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of all-in-one units or Raymarine, but this fall I got to use a twin E120 set up and was very impressed. Ordinarily I'd prefer to have separate machines (especially so if you were considering only one multi-function display), but everything about the E120 was really great. The depth sounder had vibrant colors, GPS maps were really good, and the radar was just as good as my Furuno (all were big surprises to me). The best use of the multi-function was the radar over chart display, which really helped me to navigate a channel in the middle of the night I was not familiar with. Seeing the buoy on the chart and then having it on radar right next to it to confirm made it much easier.

If you're gonna go the all-in-one route, looks like the E-series is worth a shot.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Garmin 5208. I've had a 4208 for a year and love it. The new units are incredible and the overlays with radar combine screens in effect, so you won't always need to split screen radar and plotter.

My 4208 with GSD 22 works very well, better than Furnos I've had in the past, and I've always been a Furunon sounder fan. Had a 4KW 1731 MK II Furuno radar on my 232 and it was a great old school radar.

If you can flush mount a 5210, all the better, but the 4208 has been a great unit for me.

Have not seen the new HD Furuno stuff in person, but it may be worth considering as well, but I'm guessing it is much more expensive than the 5208 bundle prices now.

4208flushmtsmaller.jpg

gerrys

Reaction score
JUST-IN-TIME said:
garmin = best plotter
furuno = best sonar and radar

I used to think the same until I had a chance to look at the new Furuno stuff. The refresh rate of the old Furuno plotters used to be really slow and annoying. Not so any more - they're up to par with, if not better than, Garmin.

GWcpa

Reaction score
Beware of blanket statments. There are huge variances in price ranges and performance of all of the brands now. It is extremely competive.

Garmin, Ratheon and Furuno have all made crap, and also great units. Try before you buy.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
gerrys said:
JUST-IN-TIME said:
garmin = best plotter
furuno = best sonar and radar

I used to think the same until I had a chance to look at the new Furuno stuff. The refresh rate of the old Furuno plotters used to be really slow and annoying. Not so any more - they're up to par with, if not better than, Garmin.

it is the cost that gets me

i have furuno

bc282

Reaction score
I currently have a whole suite of Furuno Navnet 1 stuff.

the limited use i've put on the radar has been fine, network sounder kicks azz, plotter with Cmap is slow and mapping detail from Cmap sucks.

I`m eyeing Furuno`s new 12`3D unit to replace one of the displays to use for dedicated plotting. the time zero will be a very nice upgrade feature over the slow vx1 unit. If the Cmap mapping data was as good as navionics gold data (not!) i`d just stay with the current hardware, but not being able to hit some of my favorite pinnacles due to lack of detail bites. Newer hardware will run the newer and better maps from Navionics (i had the XL3 Gold on my Ray c80 on a previous boat so i know what i was missing :cry: ).

As said earlier, i don`t use the radar too much and so it is not worth upgrading yet, but if i were to start from fresh, i`d consider the new technology in BROADBAND RADAR. It`s currently being deployed/utilized by Navico (Lowrance, simrad, etc). This is the could be the next generation for radar.

lastly, my preference is to keep to a single manufacturer if possible. It looks much better than a mixed suite and gives you some redundancy if you have multidisplays on a combo unit.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
John,

Congrats on what sounds like an impending purchase.

Another thing to consider is where you are going to use the boat. Depending on the location, some of the mapping solutions (Bluechart, C-MAP, etc...) may have better detail.

HMBJack

Reaction score
I salute you - you're helping our economic recovery.

My two cents: Simrad for autopilot + Furuno separate units for everything else. On my 228, radar is in upper left cabinet, and my FF and ICOM VHF in the upper right. GPS and Autopilot in that cabinet in front of your compass. Works really well for me (3 years). If one unit fails, they all don't go down.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Parthery said:
John,

Congrats on what sounds like an impending purchase.

Another thing to consider is where you are going to use the boat. Depending on the location, some of the mapping solutions (Bluechart, C-MAP, etc...) may have better detail.

Nice to hear from you Brian,

95% of the time will be around the Charleston, SC area, 15 miles out or so and the Santee Cooper lake system. Given that parameter, is radar overkill? 5% may be a random trip to Erie for a Walleye, or Maryland for striper in the Spring.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
bc282,

Have looked at the Lowrance stuff also, the new HD stuff. I'm a current user of Lowrance and have nothing bad to say about thier stuff. Just wanted to put the best setup on board. Garmin and Raymarine are readily available as is Lowrance. Furuno, I have not seen around anywhere I frequent. Haven't looked at BOE, but would guess he handles it all.

alwood0422

Reaction score
Maybe I am old fashion, maybe not. I don't rely on good electronics for navigation. They are a tool, but good seamanship, good navigation skills, including chart navigation, and good common sense are what save your life. Electronics just make it easier. I navigate the 1000 islands with a depth finder, chart and compass and have never dinged a prop. Well , I guess I can't say that, I took a chip out of the prop on a USCG 44ft MLB at the bottom of a 15ft wave on Erie in 20 ft of water. I am going to purchase a chart plotter this year to assist me in the speed of my navigation, but will not let it be a substitute. What if you are hit by lightning in the middle of the night and loose all your electronics. You have to find your way to safe mooring in a blinding thunderstorm after dark with only your abilities and planning. Ive been there, it's not fun, and scary as heck.

Sorry don't mean to rant, but I want to make sure we don't take electronics for granted.

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
JIT said it all.....

Gatmin=best plotter
Furuno=best radar and sounder

However if you have your heart set on a single combo unit.....and are not overly worried about a great sounder, I would go with the Garmin. If you can fit it, I would go with the 4210 or 4212....I'm just not a big fan of the touchscreen 5XXX series. I have the 4212 in my 305 Express and love the unit!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Alwood - good points.

Some today even question the need at all for a compass (the old fashion type with no power feed, I mean).
-------------------------------------------------------
With any brand electronics, a back up is important if safety is a concern, preferabley a hand held GPS. Then there is redundancy even for massive power failures. Can't forget keeping the handheld GPS battery up to snuff though.

Since I can return to my port dock via radar or GPS, I do have a second GPS, not a second radar. Seasonally, it can be solid fog out here from the moment one leaves the dock to return in the afternoon, never clearing. Can't do much with a compass except find the right land mass, not the one in Ireland.

Garmin came on strong recently, starting at the low end in GPS recreational boat units. Furuno and Raymarine were caught napping and didn't react fast enough to squash the new player. Too late now. They blew it.

Furuno's market focus has always been in commercial fishing and doesn't show any desire in their actions to dominate recreational boating/fishing. Same way Honda acts with outboards and lawnmovers, they just want a market presense nothing more. This was discussed at THT and no one can figure out why Honda doesn't have a 250HP yet, why?

Back to boat electronics, Garmin is the key player to advance the product, thank goodness they showed up. Best Buy is a Garmin authorized dealer, I read elsewhere some of their marine products are making it to the stores. Soon enough you will be able to walk in a BB and get the entire package, at a price controlling fraction of what it sells for now. I'd say in less than 2 yrs.

My Garmin 2006C has been a rock solid player on my boat for about 8 yrs now, and the portable GPS in my car is everything the top ratings say it is.

Next boat electronics package goes to Garmin for me, a recreational fisherman I am, when they mass market the recreational equipment as I predict above, then I'll be in. You guys know this DIYer likes a good deal!

As far as touch screens go, you can see the revelation going on in cell phones and smart phones. Heck, I've been going to a machine that dolls out cash for more than 20 yrs - touching a screen to get it, along with every other Tom, Dick, and Harry.
The technology is ok with me, need I say.